Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argentine Rolling Block yard sale find

Boolit Master at heavens range
    I use the lyman 43 cal. bullet, or the 43 mauser bullet sized down to fit, I have shot 30 grs. 5744, 15grs. unique, 20 grs. 4277, with unq. I get 7/8s groups at 50 yds. I used buffola arms cases, made from 348 Win. Keep your loads light and no troubles, This works in all 3 of my rifles, check your bore size, all seem to be a little different,Shot at your own rish, Joe

Okay so all the stuff came in the mail yesterday, and I have more questions.

First off does the rcbs shell holder work when using the bertram 43 spanish brass? The Lee shell holder would not work so I had to grind it out to just try out the dies.

Also what do I do about trimming the brass, lee doesn't make a case length gauge.

What black powder do I use??? Most people on the internet use 2Fg, but Cartridges of the World says the military loading is 78 grains of Fg, does anyone have load data for either powders??

Lastly, can I just use a dowel or something to compress the powder and can I use a homemade cardboard wad and a lube cookie?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    1F if you can get it, 1.5 KIK is also good.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    So are there any smokless powders that would sub for black safely?????

have same issue with a bp iver johnson pistol that i would like to use smokeless in safely

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    So are there any smokless powders that would sub for black safely?????

have same issue with a bp iver johnson pistol that i would like to use smokeless in safely
    Pyrodex...
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master

Pyrodex is of course not smokeless but could be used, however if your pistol was built during the BP era and was intended to shoot BP then smokeless powders could be risky, certainly there are some low pressure smokeless loadings but then OTOH a lot of older firearms have been ruined by what people thought was a safe smokeless load. The BP subs, like Pyrodex, could be used but what would be the point? I mean honestly what advantage do the the subs have over real BP?

Boolit Master
    how does 3 grs of red dot sound ??? 148 gr cast bullet round nose

for the bp ij ??????????????? 38 s&w

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    how does 3 grs of red dot sound ??? 148 gr cast bullet round nose

for the bp ij ??????????????? 38 s&w
    This should have its own thread, but I wouldn't shoot any Red Dot in my old black powder revolver. That would actually be a pretty high pressure load in that small case.

Why not use real gunpowder? I know it's kind of intimidating at first until you learn how to deal with it. But once you know what you're doing you'll wonder why you ever messed around with the nitro powder. BP is simpler, safer, easier to clean up after, more fun to shoot, etc. The only advantage I see with nitro powder is you don't have to clean your gun the day you shoot it. Everything else goes in favor of black powder, in guns designed to use it.

Boolit Master

I would be pretty leery of using smokeless in a BP Iver Johnson of any caliber. They were a pretty low end firearm. JMHO.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OTThomas View Post
    Okay so all the stuff came in the mail yesterday, and I have more questions.

First off does the rcbs shell holder work when using the bertram 43 spanish brass? The Lee shell holder would not work so I had to grind it out to just try out the dies.

I use the RCBS 22 holder for my .42 Spanish cases.

Also what do I do about trimming the brass, lee doesn't make a case length gauge.

I use calipers to measure and then a Lyman case trimmer - the simple one with a hand crank.

What black powder do I use??? Most people on the internet use 2Fg, but Cartridges of the World says the military loading is 78 grains of Fg, does anyone have load data for either powders??

I always use Goex FFg in mine.

Lastly, can I just use a dowel or something to compress the powder and can I use a homemade cardboard wad and a lube cookie?
    It depends on whether you are going for ultimate accuracy (then you need measured compression) or just plinking and shooting for fun (which is what I do.) I use punched out wads and grease cookies, then when seating the boolit, press firmly on my simple Lee single stage $35 press to ensure there is a little compression to eilminate any air space. I only neck size so the very small press works fine for me.

I shoot the .43 Spanish blown out to .42 Berdan in my Russian Berdan bolt action but do similar reloading with .43 Egyptian in my rolling block.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12