Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swage or ream primer pockets to remove crimp?

Banned
    I picked up 2 gallons of LC 13 308 couple months ago, not much of a primer crimp so I tried hand priming w/out reaming and all primers went in just fine. Even used a primer pocket uniformer on them without removing the crimp.
    Started using the Dillon swage years ago, didn't like the indentation it made on the inside of the case so ever since I ream the primer pockets.

Boolit Man
    I have used both reamers and swagers too, I prefer to swage. The RCBS setup is pretty good, but the large primer swager leaves a step in rifle pockets about halfway down that makes seating the primers a pain the first few reloadings. I wish the tool was longer and reached all the way to the bottom of LR pockets. The SR swager works great.

Gear

Gear, did you realize that that large Rifle swagger would actually tighten up the primer pockets when/if they got loose?

Boolit Master

I once was given several hundred 9mm military cases. One of the 'noted' gun writers said you should ream all the primer pockets. Well, I did. And the primers fell out of some of those cases. Now I only swage the pocket. No problems with that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234