Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Carcano finish?

Carcano finish?

I've got what I believe to be a 91/38 Cav. Carbine that was produced in 1940. The finish is beginning to get a little worn from use (mine). It belonged to my grandpa, and was my first "real rifle". I'd like to redo the finish on the stock. This rifle has never been touched by Buba and I want to keep it correct in all respects. Does any one know for certain what was used on them at the time of manufacture as a finish?

I do have the bayonet. But the forces that be, have made it for some reason, illegal to have it mounted and carry it in the field. So it has been removed for functional reasons only. Never could understand that law.

Nora

Last edited by Nora; 06-18-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Master
    In the early seventies my cousin gave me one almost twin to yours. I was thirteen then and dad told me not to mess with it. Several years later I #000 wooled and Tung Oiled and It turned out great. Sealed and looks the same. I was told Vet bring back, no import marks. Still have not shot it, just sits in rack with other Carcano's. Gtek

IIRC, the correct finish for a Caracano is to drop it - just like it was when surrendered. .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora View Post
    I do have the bayonet. But the forces that be, have made it for some reason, illegal to have it mounted and carry it in the field. So it has been removed for functional reasons only. Never could understand that law.

Nora
    It's all those blasted drive by bayonetings! (Sometimes they get stuck and people really don't like seeing them get dragged down the street.)

6.5mm or 7.35mm?

It's a 6.5mm
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Buddy

re: bayonets

We all know that a pointed stick is MUCH more dangerous than a loaded rifle.

Boolit Master
    I own a 91/38 cavalry carbine...Brescia 1941...it's blue/black bayonet and all. The wood just looks like an oil finish.

Boolit Grand Master

I did one in Tung oil and it appeared to be similar to what was on it. If you just shoot it on the range it should hold up fine and can be touched up if needed.
    A couple of my mil-surp rifles that I shot in matches or took hunting I did a (gasp!) satin spray urethane on them. It looks similar to oil but is much more durable and far more waterproof.
    I see no harm in doing this as it can be removed later and an oil finish put back on.
    It is your rifle so it is entirely your call.

Boolit Bub
    I'm pretty sure the correct finish for that Carcano is boiled linseed oil.

Super Moderator

..............I have 2 Carcanii

This is a 'Post Capitulation' M91/38 Moshetto TS carbine in 6.5x52. I don't believe it was ever issued.

This is a M38 in 7.35x51. In the photo it has the wrong bolt, and has since gotten the correct bent bolt. As regards the finish, I think they only got a stain, which was most likely oil based. I do not think anything else was applied over it. I don't think a wipe down with BLO would be incorrect for it.

Of course, in their 50+ years of production by several arsenals it's possible there were changes made, and both of mine were made in the last 5-6 years of thier production. As can be seen in the closeup shot (above) of the carbine's buttstock, it certainly appears to be nothing more then a simple stain.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Anyone know where to get a cheap used stock for one? My 1918 Brescia 6.5 has a "customized" one. Should be called a franken-ized stock!
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sledgehammer001 View Post
    Anyone know where to get a cheap used stock for one? My 1918 Brescia 6.5 has a "customized" one. Should be called a franken-ized stock!
    ..............All I can suggest are the usual suspects, eg: GPC or Springfield Sporters. Both carry quite a few Carcano parts, but I haven't looked for wood.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    If you just shoot it on the range it should hold up fine and can be touched up if needed.
    I've drug that rifle thew every piece of cr*p land that MN has to offer. It's my go to close quarters rifle when the brush gets real thick. My grandpa was the type of man that when he gave you a rifle he expected it to get used, not hang on the wall. So in his honor that's exactly what I do with it. I just want to keep it correct to the way it was when it was given to me.