RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Mail order shipping prices are insulting

Boolit Master

Ray Charles could see the Connection...

Quote "I avoid hazmat fees by buying from gunshows/local shops. I go to 1 quite large local gunshow twice per year, sometimes several smaller ones as well depending on time/need. There is a dealer at the large one & some of the smaller ones as well, who's prices are inline with the big mail order firms. He has a good selection & if there is something specific you want, you can just call him in advance, tell him what/how much/which show & he will bring it to the show & you pay no haz-mat fees (or even regular shipping)! Great way to stock up on powder & primers at the same "product prices" as the best mail order firms, WITHOUT getting "reamed" by the shippers."
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master

Bigbang, you are reading too much into Fryboy's post IMHO. Much ado about nothing.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

OK, I confess: I'm a cheapskate. If Winchester offered .45acp for $3.47 per box I'd stop casting in a heartbeat. if Federal would sell brass-cased .223 for $118 per thousand I'd stop reloading in a heartbeat.

(of course, for me part of this hobby is seeing just how inexpensively I can produce high-quality ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Ray Charles could see the Connection...

Quote "I avoid hazmat fees by buying from gunshows/local shops. I go to 1 quite large local gunshow twice per year, sometimes several smaller ones as well depending on time/need. There is a dealer at the large one & some of the smaller ones as well, who's prices are inline with the big mail order firms. He has a good selection & if there is something specific you want, you can just call him in advance, tell him what/how much/which show & he will bring it to the show & you pay no haz-mat fees (or even regular shipping)! Great way to stock up on powder & primers at the same "product prices" as the best mail order firms, WITHOUT getting "reamed" by the shippers."
    Well, I'm not Ray Charles & I'm not trying to be difficult here. I just don't see how a post about where I get MY powder from is related to my response to a post about someone calling EVERYONE a cheapskate. If you are trying to say I'M a cheapskate for avoiding haz-mat fees, well, I disagree, avoiding ANY *UNNECESSARY* fees, when possible, is simply "good sense". As I tried to illustrate in my response to fryboy, a person is not a cheapskate just because they don't needlessly throw their money away. Further, even if I am a cheapskate, that doesn't mean EVERYBODY is.

People disagree over issues, that's life. My issue with fryboy's post & I stress with his post, rather than the man himself, is that, this guy is basically saying in that post "Hey, you're all cheapskates, period, end of discussion & if you disagree with ME, well, you're in denial, you're lying to yourself. If you disagree with ME, you're INSULTING EVERYONE, because I KNOW the "truth". It's NOT my OPINION, it's the truth, yes I fryboy know what's in your hearts & minds, even if you don't. So don't DARE argue with ME, because I have given you the truth, the ONLY truth & if you don't see things the way I do, well, you're lying to yourself, etc." I mean, REALLY? Am I the only one that finds that arrogant? I mean, seriously, does no one else have an issue with that? Am I reading too much into it? Maybe my "gauge is off".
    Vietnam Veteran "GunnyBob" (Marines) on the effectiveness of the 1911A1 pistol & .45 ACP round in combat:

"Hit the target high center of mass and it dropped without nary a twitch. Lots faster than drilling little pinholes with the 5.56. Lots."

Boolit Master

I just placed an order at Midway and used a promotional code for NRA members. It just about covered my shipping. It can be found on their website here:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/vat-nra

edit - Now I'm going to go drink a cold one!
    Last edited by Fishman; 07-01-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Taking Fishhawk's sage advice.

Boolit Master

-Sounds of beer bottle opening-

Ahhh, that's better!

-Checks Lyman 4500, yes it's warm enough-

See you guys. Time to size some boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz44mag View Post
    rbuck,
    I was just thinking that maybe the Alaska shipping issues are because the state is not accessible by truck without the trucks needing to travel through a foreign country.
    Not necessarily... There is the Alaska Marine Highway System...
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Grand Master

I think it's time that some people here sit down have cold beer cool down and lighten up.
    It burns too much gas to get to the liquor store, and that's on top of the shipping that's hidden in the cost of beer already! Its not fair I tell ya! And that jerk who owns the liquor store wont listen to common sense arguments and give it to me at half price!
    Its not right that you should have to drive there on your hard earned nickle and pay $20 for a thirty pack that has 25% hidden shipping charges tacked on behind the counter.
    But I'm not cheap! Not a cheap bone in my body. Just trying to get what I've got coming to me by golly. That makes me smart not cheap by gumms!
    I drive all the way across state line just to buy my beer for a fair price. I'm not cheap, Its the principle of the thing.
    Geez fellers, lighten up! We've got an impostor in the white house that needs a fight a lot worse than the USPS does!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 07-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

As my MIL used to say. "Children, Children, Children, get along, or go sit in the corners".
    None of us are cheap. All of us enjoy saving money, but not just on loading supplies.
    None of us like to feel put upon or taken advantage of.
    Midway has been one of my favorite suppliers for many years. No I don't like the S&H price sometimes, but I've been more than satisfied with their service. That is what makes the world go round. Can you imagine what the prices would be if there weren't a selection of sellers to chose from????

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    None of us are cheap. All of us enjoy saving money, but not just on loading supplies.
    None of us like to feel put upon or taken advantage of.
    Here here!
    Vietnam Veteran "GunnyBob" (Marines) on the effectiveness of the 1911A1 pistol & .45 ACP round in combat:

"Hit the target high center of mass and it dropped without nary a twitch. Lots faster than drilling little pinholes with the 5.56. Lots."

goodsteel,

Frankly, I feel your above comment was in poor taste. Why do you feel the need to ridicule people?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few things on my current shopping list and I've priced them in Midway since their prices aren't too out of line and they have a good selection so that I could get everything that I need from them. I recently priced those same items at Midsouth (minus one bullet mold that Midsouth did not have) and there was a noticeable difference in the prices and shipping. One thing that I don't like about Midsouth though is that the items in your shopping cart do not stay there for any length of time. I'll often spend days adding items to my shopping cart as I decide what all I want in order to minimize my per-item shipping costs. With Midway, if you have an account, it saves the content of your shopping cart even as you move between machines at home and work (i.e. it is not stored in the browser cache). With Midsouth, not only is it apparently stored in the browser cache, it is not stored for very long -- definitely not long enough for me to add some items before I go to bed at night and for them to be there the next day. Midsouth does have a "wish list" feature which makes it at least a little bit less painful to re-enter the items into your shopping cart.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456