RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mail order shipping prices are insulting

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Another couple of weeks (if the heat breaks) and all I'm gonna be paying shipping for, is lead.
    (Nearly finished collecting stuff to make my own boolits)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    *hahahahaha* Silly rabbit! If you get hooked on this, you are NEVER going to be finished collecting stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Okay.... **revised to say**: Nearly finished collecting stuff to make my first boolits.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ku4hx View Post
    Earlier this year, I bought (on sale) 800 rounds of .22LR ammunition from Midway. When the package arrived, all the cartridges were loose in the cardboard box because the two small sheets of brown craft paper used as packing material simply didn't hold the ammo boxes securely. I complained strongly to Midway and emailed them pictures of the freshly opened shipping box.

I got a full refund on S&H. Say what you want about Midway, I've been using them for well over thirty years and they've always "made it right" for me when I had cause to complain. And on a couple of occasions, they did so when the item's manufacturer wanted to argue.

I'll take that kind of "insurance" every time over dead lowest cost.
    scattered and loose 22LR ammo in a box is a bad thing, especially if you were buying Match ammo, I've had that with Natchez...they did replace it after I complained...

I've had this same kind of issue with Natchez shooters supply, multiple times.
    Yes they made good on the problems, replaced damaged merchandise and such...BUT what a hassle, and then to wait for another shipment !!! I rarely get a well packed shipment from them...of course it's been a while since I've ordered from them...the last problem was a big one. On the other hand, Midsouth always pack there shipments extremely well.

TODAY, I placed an on-line other with Midsouth for some case prep equipment and 2 Lee 6 cav. molds. I duplicated the on-line order with grafs, natchez and midway. Grafs didn't have hardly anything I wanted. Midway had most, but missing 2 items I wanted, and their prices were highest, I didn't check shipping. Natchez did have everything in stock but shipping is higher, but prices were cheaper. End result total of the order: Natchez=$161 and Midsouth $163
    I'd pay an extra $10 for this size order, if I knew for sure my order will be packed as well as all my previous orders from Midsouth has been packed. I assume it will, that's why I ordered from them. it's especially important when there is 2 aluminum boolit molds in that box !!!
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Okay.... **revised to say**: Nearly finished collecting stuff to make my first boolits.
    There ya go! That's the spirit!

I'd say to get more savvy in your shopping. Midway rules.

Make a list, check it twice. Prioritize the items on your list, and if a few of them are out of stock, wait a few days or more to make your purchase. Don't mess with out-of-stock backorder items, and if your favorite falls in this category, then once again, wait.

I've yet to order anything from midway which exceeds 8% s&h fee. You just need to pace your purchases so that you get the best bang for your buck. Ive shopped around and the other providers simply do not carry the items I want, therefore I pay more percentage in shipping from them than I do with midway.

It took me years (and I am pretty young) to swallow online ordering. But once I do my research, and check availability, midway has been the winner for my purchases. Handling is a very real cost to distributors, and I like that they pack my cardboard box in a way such that my varied contents aren't damaged. This can't be calculated into some BS up charge to the goods, but rather how they can methodically arrange my purchases into one pack.

That is worth a few bux, and I also like the trickle in factor of NRA contributions. Anyone ******** about $5.00 shipping on a $3.00 purchase should research the realities of being a distributor, and become more savvy when they are the end recipient.

Yes, it takes as much trouble and time to properly pack 2 screws as it does 4 sets of reloading dies.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    I'd say to get more savvy in your shopping. Midway rules.

Make a list, check it twice. Prioritize the items on your list, and if a few of them are out of stock, wait a few days or more to make your purchase. Don't mess with out-of-stock backorder items, and if your favorite falls in this category, then once again, wait.

*The problem with this, for myself, and I think, many others, is that, while delaying your order waiting for an item or items to come in, other items you wanted go "out of stock". Also, sometimes one needs a product within a particular timeframe & waiting isn't really an option.

I've yet to order anything from midway which exceeds 8% s&h fee. You just need to pace your purchases so that you get the best bang for your buck. Ive shopped around and the other providers simply do not carry the items I want, therefore I pay more percentage in shipping from them than I do with midway.

*Midway DOES have a great selection (when it's actually in stock), but MOST of the Items they sell are available from at least ONE of the other dealers I frequently patronize. Also, there are things available from some of the dealers that (GASP!) AREN'T available at midway.

It took me years (and I am pretty young) to swallow online ordering. But once I do my research, and check availability, midway has been the winner for my purchases. Handling is a very real cost to distributors, and I like that they pack my cardboard box in a way such that my varied contents aren't damaged. This can't be calculated into some BS up charge to the goods, but rather how they can methodically arrange my purchases into one pack.

*As has repeatedly been stated before in this thread, we are aware that handling is a very real cost to distributors. In reality however, the costs of packing the boxes as you describe, CAN be factored into the cost of the goods, not only CAN it be, it ACTUALLY IS, by many, many companies everyday, along with all the other "very real" costs of doing business & THIS HAS BEEN STANDARD BUSINESS PRACTICE FOR CENTURIES. The orders I've received from Midsouth & Brownell's (just to name a couple) have been just as well packed as those from Midway.

That is worth a few bux, and I also like the trickle in factor of NRA contributions. Anyone ******** about $5.00 shipping on a $3.00 purchase should research the realities of being a distributor, and become more savvy when they are the end recipient.

Yes, it takes as much trouble and time to properly pack 2 screws as it does 4 sets of reloading dies.

*No, actually, it doesn't. 2 screws can be dropped into a small padded envelope, 4 sets of reloading dies cannot.
    It's great that you feel you've done your homework, so to speak & you now feel you're a "savvy consumer". I assure you that I & others posting to this thread have done OUR homework & we feel that WE ARE "savvy" in our shopping & some of us have come to a different conclusion than yourself, but hey, sometimes people just don't all agree on the same thing.
    Vietnam Veteran "GunnyBob" (Marines) on the effectiveness of the 1911A1 pistol & .45 ACP round in combat:

"Hit the target high center of mass and it dropped without nary a twitch. Lots faster than drilling little pinholes with the 5.56. Lots."

Boolit Buddy
    I bet I have not ordered ANYTHING from Midway in over three or more years exactly due to their shipping charges. I can ALWAYS find the item(s) I want cheaper deliverd to my door from other vendors than Midway. I research every puchase so how I can find cheaper delivered items than others I don't know. I only look at delivered pricing.

Boolit Grand Master
    goodsteel has a very good suggestion
    for the price you are willing to pay you can have a Lee mold and make an unlimited supply of RB'S
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I live in Alaska and the price for shipping anything ( even 2 screws ) starts at about 35$ if it comes UPS or Fed X. So I only order from those companys that will ship USPS flat rate. Many will not use USPS. Personally I would like all the charges to be added into the cost of the item except shipping and charge the actual shipping cost. It would save some surprises at the checkout. Another thing that really ticks me is when I get charged $15/$20 for shipping and it arrives USPS with a $3 stamp on it. Another good one is the free shipping on orders of $xx until you get to the end and find out that doesn't include Alaska. Free shipping is only for continintal US. I'm still trying to figure out what continent Ak is part of. Oh yeah, try ordering some reloading powder in Ak. Ok Rant over.

rbuck,
    I was just thinking that maybe the Alaska shipping issues are because the state is not accessible by truck without the trucks needing to travel through a foreign country. That means border stops and customs 4 times in a round trip. The only other way to move freight there would be by air or ship, with ship being a very slow alternative, and air being expensive. Picking a place as beautiful as Alaska to live would have a few drawbacks, but if I could, we would be neighbors...
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Re: " 2 screws can be dropped into a small padded envelope,.."

Yes, that's true. But I sell and ship screws. If I shipped, via USPS, 12 padded envelopes each containing 2 screws, 4 of the 12 envelopes would arrive with a hole rubbed in the envelope and with no screws inside. Shipped to California, 8 of the 12 envelopes would arrive sans screws. So I put screws in plastic bags and wrap the bags with cardboard and put it all in padded envelopes or cardboard boxes for larger orders. The envelopes and boxes always arrive with the screws still inside--even to California.

speaking of screws .... in basics we all are when it comes to shipping lolz but even mailing something beats the cost of hand delivering it ourselfs ( no sir , across town or county doesnt count )
    man ... some of you get more worked up over this than politics , and i'm afraid to state the obvious truth - we're all cheapskates ( even if you're in denial ) or we wouldnt be here making our own boolits and ammo or bartering for used brass etc , face it because deep down you know it's true ( meaning it's nothing to let the blood pressure raise over ) and if the truth offends you that's in your makeup not in my words , yes sir we all be cheapskates , always looking for the bigger and better deal , eh but while you can lie to yourself and state you arent please dont insult the rest of us and say you aint , a good example ? two totally identical rifles - one is $199 and the other is $99.99 - which one will you buy ? ( yeah thought so ... 'nuff said )
    much like most folks money is tight and i do shop around and i compare all the incurred cost , as noted some places are higher and some lower , i'd like to order from natchez - especially lee stuff as it seems about cheapest there but even on a small order shipping is high - too high , yet on a large order ( and usually above what my meager funds will allow ) it ends up being cheaper ( go figure ) making the cheaper prices worthy . beings as the large orders escapes me ... i do what i can to help offset shipping from anyone - i try to buddy up ( mostly it works ) and a great for instance is hazmat fees , splitting it with a buddy in need of powder drops my shipping cost in half , if i can find 3 buddies in need then it drops to a quarter of what it was ( and i could use some more local friends for such if anyone's in the middle of america - read that close by lolz )
    worse ? as fuel prices go up so too will everything else - especially shipping [dabnabitman]
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Just wondering if the cheaper companies return policies are any good. With midway if I get defective material they make it right and either give me refunds or replacement parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    speaking of screws .... in basics we all are when it comes to shipping lolz but even mailing something beats the cost of hand delivering it ourselfs ( no sir , across town or county doesnt count )
    man ... some of you get more worked up over this than politics , and i'm afraid to state the obvious truth - we're all cheapskates ( even if you're in denial ) or we wouldnt be here making our own boolits and ammo or bartering for used brass etc , face it because deep down you know it's true ( meaning it's nothing to let the blood pressure raise over ) and if the truth offends you that's in your makeup not in my words , yes sir we all be cheapskates , always looking for the bigger and better deal , eh but while you can lie to yourself and state you arent please dont insult the rest of us and say you aint , a good example ? two totally identical rifles - one is $199 and the other is $99.99 - which one will you buy ? ( yeah thought so ... 'nuff said ) much like most folks money is tight and i do shop around and i compare all the incurred cost , as noted some places are higher and some lower , i'd like to order from natchez - especially lee stuff as it seems about cheapest there but even on a small order shipping is high - too high , yet on a large order ( and usually above what my meager funds will allow ) it ends up being cheaper ( go figure ) making the cheaper prices worthy . beings as the large orders escapes me ... i do what i can to help offset shipping from anyone - i try to buddy up ( mostly it works ) and a great for instance is hazmat fees , splitting it with a buddy in need of powder drops my shipping cost in half , if i can find 3 buddies in need then it drops to a quarter of what it was ( and i could use some more local friends for such if anyone's in the middle of america - read that close by lolz )
    worse ? as fuel prices go up so too will everything else - especially shipping [dabnabitman]
    NO, we are NOT "all cheapskates", in the first place, people don't just make their own bullets & ammo just to save money, maybe that's YOUR only reason, but don't assume so for the rest of us. By making our own bullets/ammo, we can tailor loads to specific guns & increase accuracy, we can tailor loads to specific jobs & MANY OF US ACTUALLY JUST ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF DOING IT. You sir, are talking out of your a**, you don't even seem to have a good grasp of exactly what a cheapskate is. We are not "in denial", we are not "lying to ourselves" & YOU are the one insulting the rest of us by ARROGANTLY PRESUMING to know what is in "our makeup" - you don't know us, so, actually, the offense is, indeed, in YOUR words, NOT "our makeup". And it's not the truth offending us, because what you're saying is NOT the truth, it's your arrogance in thinking that YOU know OUR reasons for doing the things we do. It's your arrogance in thinking that YOU know the "truth" of the reasons behind OUR actions & that anyone who doesn't agree with you is "in denial" or "lying to themselves", that disagreeing with YOU is "insulting the rest of us". How do you know these things about us, who you never met, are you psychic, are you God?

Your examples of what makes a cheapskate are ABSURD! Of course, all other things being equal, a person will buy a totally identical rifle for $100 cheaper if they can, that DOES NOT make them a cheapskate, it just means they're not idiots. There is an old saying, "a fool & his money soon part", because someone is not a fool, does not make them a cheapskate. You seem to feel that any person with sufficient intelligence to "shop around" & find the best deal or to barter or trade when it is in their best interest to do so, is a "cheapskate", when, in fact, they are simply displaying their intelligence. rbuck351 posted above about being "ticked" by having paid as much as $20 shipping for an item sent through USPS for $3, I don't think that bothered him because he was a "cheapskate", I think it bothered him because he doesn't like being ripped off. (And before anyone brings up "packing costs", what could be sent USPS for $3 that cost $17 to pack?)Not wanting or liking to be ripped off does not make someone a cheapskate, it just means they're not stupid. It seems, by YOUR oddball logic, that anyone who IS NOT an ignorant "sucker", is a cheapskate.
    Vietnam Veteran "GunnyBob" (Marines) on the effectiveness of the 1911A1 pistol & .45 ACP round in combat:

"Hit the target high center of mass and it dropped without nary a twitch. Lots faster than drilling little pinholes with the 5.56. Lots."

any worse than you assuming things about the rest of us ? that's hypocrisy pure and simple kinda like you thinking and saying that i'm arrogant when you know me not , i'm inclined to agree with wasupki , and if i was the type of person to use my ignore button you'd be #1 on the list
    fact - 99% of the people who started to reload did so to originally lower the cost ie; cheaper shooting , no non-shooter that i know of has undertaken reloading ( and would you trustthier loads if they did ??? ), and yeah i know a lil bit about reloading , just a little bit mind you as i'm smart enough to know that i'm still learning , you may have a problem with the term cheapskate but that's on you not i and as before the truth often hurts [shrugz]
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    any worse than you assuming things about the rest of us ? that's hypocrisy pure and simple kinda like you thinking and saying that i'm arrogant when you know me not , i'm inclined to agree with wasupki , and if i was the type of person to use my ignore button you'd be #1 on the list
    fact - 99% of the people who started to reload did so to originally lower the cost ie; cheaper shooting , no non-shooter that i know of has undertaken reloading ( and would you trustthier loads if they did ??? ), and yeah i know a lil bit about reloading , just a little bit mind you as i'm smart enough to know that i'm still learning , you may have a problem with the term cheapskate but that's on you not i and as before the truth often hurts [shrugz]
    I'm not "assuming" anything about you, I'm not making GENERAL assumptions here. I'm making a specific rebuttal to what you posted, there is NO hypocrisy in that. It's true I don't know you, but I can read what you've written and, in the specific post to which I was referring, you WERE being arrogant, to presume EVERYONE is a cheapskate IS being arrogant. As for it being a "fact" that 99% of of people who reload having started the practice to save money: 1. You have no real way of knowing if that's true. 2. Even if it is true, for what you said to even have a chance of being valid, it would have to be absolutely 100% not just 99% 3. Even if EVERYBODY who reloads does so solely to save money, that does not make them cheapskates. The desire to conserve what is, for even the wealthiest person alive, a FINITE resource does not make one a cheapskate. As for no non-shooter that you know having undertaken reloading, I have no doubt that that is true, but what does that have to do with everyone being a cheapskate? I don't see how that statement would backup any argument you've made here. As for you knowing a "lil bit about reloading", I'm sure you do, but how does that relate to you knowing that everyone is a cheapskate?

I have no problem with the TERM cheapskate, I have a problem with people LABELING others "cheapskate" or for that matter, "commie" "socialist" "whiner" or whatever because they have raised a legitimate issue that the labeler happens to have a differing opinion on. Since you are the one doing the "name calling" that IS on you. While I have stated that you were being arrogant in your above post, I have NOT called YOU any names, put any labels on YOU, or made any GENERALIZATIONS about YOU. I have dealt only with the specific post that you made. The truth is certainly NOT hurting me in this case. Read your own signature quote - Isn't calling EVERYONE a cheapskate judging (unrighteously so)?

Boolit Master

Another couple of weeks (if the heat breaks) and all I'm gonna be paying shipping for, is lead.
    You will never be finished
    It is a life long goal to have everything

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBang View Post
    I'm not "assuming" anything about you, I'm not making GENERAL assumptions here. I'm making a specific rebuttal to what you posted, there is NO hypocrisy in that. It's true I don't know you, but I can read what you've written and, in the specific post to which I was referring, you WERE being arrogant, to presume EVERYONE is a cheapskate IS being arrogant. As for it being a "fact" that 99% of of people who reload having started the practice to save money: 1. You have no real way of knowing if that's true. 2. Even if it is true, for what you said to even have a chance of being valid, it would have to be absolutely 100% not just 99% 3. Even if EVERYBODY who reloads does so solely to save money, that does not make them cheapskates. The desire to conserve what is, for even the wealthiest person alive, a FINITE resource does not make one a cheapskate. As for no non-shooter that you know having undertaken reloading, I have no doubt that that is true, but what does that have to do with everyone being a cheapskate? I don't see how that statement would backup any argument you've made here. As for you knowing a "lil bit about reloading", I'm sure you do, but how does that relate to you knowing that everyone is a cheapskate?

I have no problem with the TERM cheapskate, I have a problem with people LABELING others "cheapskate" or for that matter, "commie" "socialist" "whiner" or whatever because they have raised a legitimate issue that the labeler happens to have a differing opinion on. Since you are the one doing the "name calling" that IS on you. While I have stated that you were being arrogant in your above post, I have NOT called YOU any names, put any labels on YOU, or made any GENERALIZATIONS about YOU. I have dealt only with the specific post that you made. The truth is certainly NOT hurting me in this case. Read your own signature quote - Isn't calling EVERYONE a cheapskate judging (unrighteously so)?
    Now BigBang...This is funny compared to a post you made in another section of the forum.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...64#post1754464

Yes , I am watching this thread .
    Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Now BigBang...This is funny compared to a post you made in another section of the forum.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...64#post1754464

Yes , I am watching this thread .
    Rich
    Hmm, I honestly don't see the connection, could you please point out what's funny?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast