Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would microwaving kill parasites in wild pig?

Boolit Mold
    +1 on freezing

My Backround is culinary, Freezing will kill tric, Cook to an internal temp of 135 and allow to rest, will bring temp uP to 145-148, anything past 150 will be shoe leather, especally wild pork

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Microwaving is cooking and nothing more. That BS that they used to run about stuff being heated from the inside out is nonsense and is disproved every day when I heat up my lunch in the microwave at work. The outside edges are hot enough to burn my mouth while the inside is still cold.
    The only way to kill the parasites is to thoroughly cook the meat to above 145 degrees all the way through, period. (I usually go 180 just to be on the safe side)
    I've taken food safety courses where if you had 1 wrong answer you took the test until you received 100%!! Food borne illnesses are not to be taken lightly as you know from asking!!!Goodsteel hit the nail on the head from what I was taught, and my certificate states!!Use a thermometer! GT27
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master

Parasites are killed by deep freezing OR thorough cooking. Bacteria are killed by cooking to about 160 degrees. Botulinum toxin is destroyed by boiling (at a full boil). Botulinum spores and Staphylococcus toxin are destroyed by moist cooking past 250 degrees (which you can't do without a pressure cooker.) 145 degrees is a safe holding temperature for hot prepared foods.

The proper method to use depends on what you are trying to do.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by rexherring View Post
    By the way, I work for the Health Department.
    you don't eat out often do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    you don't eat out often do you?
    Considering what I've seen in some restaurants, I would have to generalize and say, "Ignorance is bliss"...

Luckily, as long as you are healthy, the worst that *most* of the bacteria can do to you is make you feel ill and after a couple of days of either vomiting or diarrhea you'll be better... I've had my share of experiences at restaurants where the food did not agree with me, but luckily, my stomach impressed upon me the need to void (porcelain deity prayer time) such food as soon as possible and I never ended up *too* sick from it...

Boolit Master
    "It should be noted that heating to 77° C (171° F) or 82° C (180° F) was not completely effective when cooking was performed using microwaves."
    Wow---wouldn't have guessed that!

I say we dust off and nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Vendor Sponsor

Duke: you could always "nuke it" (couldn't resist!) Like with radiation. This is what they are doing to alot of meats nowadays to kill the bugs.

Of course you probably don't have access to Plutonium or Urainium, so you'll probably just have to cook it.

I know that on lots of the hog hunts in Texas they make you leave the pigs where they fall simply because they have too many diseases to be safe to eat.

Shame all that Bacon and Ham going to waste.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'll just use a thermometer.

And a good marinade!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Duke,

Wild or domestic, the best advise is what others have already said which is to cook it well. Chicken is the same. We raise chickens, goats and soon to start pigs and as such we handle animals each and every day. We always wash our hands well, remove our shoes by the door, and cook the meat throughout. I have been told that a good domestic raised pig from a reputable seller has a low probability of Trich. I for one would not want to test that theory out by eating undercooked meat though
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32

Boolit Grand Master

Bottom line, as I understand it, is a target temp and duration. A microwave will not accomplish this. My temps and durations work for me but that's a personal decision, based on due diligence.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinLeon View Post
    Considering what I've seen in some restaurants, I would have to generalize and say, "Ignorance is bliss"...

Luckily, as long as you are healthy, the worst that *most* of the bacteria can do to you is make you feel ill and after a couple of days of either vomiting or diarrhea you'll be better... I've had my share of experiences at restaurants where the food did not agree with me, but luckily, my stomach impressed upon me the need to void (porcelain deity prayer time) such food as soon as possible and I never ended up *too* sick from it...
    I heard somewhere (before the net) that one t spoon of Botulism is enough to kill every resident in the state of New York.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I heard somewhere (before the net) that one t spoon of Botulism is enough to kill every resident in the state of New York.
    But that's only because they have weak stomachs... They need to eat more hot peppers so that the botulism doesn't stand a chance...

I periodically drive down to Mexico on my Harley and cruise along the border region, stopping at whatever little hole in the wall I might find for meals. I am not picky in the least about where I eat... I drink the water, eat at places where the only way the kitchen could be cleaned would be if they took a sandblaster to it. I have no illusions about the cleanliness of some of the places that I've eaten at. It tasted good though... Plenty of beer and hot peppers and it keeps the botulism / salmonella / e-coli / whatever at bay...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    Freezing it solid is what I was told by the USDA inspectors that worked at my fathers meat processing plant. They told me that I should freeze all wild game solid and then cook it thoroughly to be in the safe side.
    This is correct, All parasites will be killed if your meat is frozen and held at 0F for thirty days. Cook your meat to an internal temperature of 148-160F. Due to the differences in muscle structure, it is difficult to estimate cooking time in a microwave oven consistently. The only pork products I've seen cooked on an industrial scale (in a microwave) is sliced bacon. Get a thermometer if you don't have one. Even though we (USDA) validate cooking instructions (box cooking instructions) everyday, It is a up hill climb for the plants to prove their microwave instructions are safe as other cooking methods. There is a USDA web sight you could get some more food safety hints USDA FSIS.gov

Boolit Grand Master

I am a serious, amateur, griller/smoker. I LOVE pork. The USDA has recently somewhat relaxed their standards for domestic pork (approved lower temps).

The best defense is to read the link provided and really read it. Use of a good, instant digital thermometer (I use the rather expensive Thermapen) helps a great deal. I am not a fan of super rare meat and pork I cook to medium. I have learned to grill/smoke even lean cuts like tenderloin where they are safe but still moist and delicious. Modern pork has little fat in it (not like when I was raised on a farm) so it requires attention to detail to get the best out of it. However, undercooking is NOT the way to do it, in my carefully considered opinion.

I cook ground meat the same way - nothing less than medium. You can safely grill steaks rare but I still prefer medium rare. Again, use of the Thermapen allows me to tread the line.

FWIW
    Dale53

Freeze it mate. Remember that water (cell content) swells when frozen and will burst parasite cells. That's how I deal with parasites like dog tapeworm cysts in rabbits and kangaroo meat.