Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best powder for boolits in 9mm?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Best powder for boolits in 9mm?

Hey guys. I'm getting into casting my own 9mm boolits. I have the Lee TL356-124-TC mold and have cast a few hundred slugs from wheelweights already. I'm looking for around 950 fps, the guns I'm shooting are a Ruger P95 and SR9c. Any favorite powders or loads out there? I have Unique, Accurate #2, Accurate #5, and Hodgdon Titegroup on my bench.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I'd go for Unique, it's the only powder you list I have experience with. My 9mm was loaded 3.2 grains of Bullseye. The case dimensions require a fast burning powder.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

AA#5 or Unique. AA#5 is one of my old favorite 9mm powders.

Not sure if 950 fps will work your action. Start loads for those powders run around 1050.
    Start loads are aprox. 4.4 gr Unique and 5.4 gr of AA#5.

I'd recomend reading the sticky on 9mm laoding.

Boolit Master
    Wsf...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Gabby, where is this sticky?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

He's probably thinking about this one
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121607

Boolit Master

From my experince with the 9mm & 38 super I have found med fast to med burning speed powders gave the the absulate best accuracy in every gun although BE & TG work well, just not as accurate .
    Powders such as WSF ,WAP , HS6 , Power Pistol , have worked best for me

Boolit Master
    I use power pistol in 9mm , it is working well for me 4.5 gr

4.5 gr power pistol under a lee 356-120TC

i like it in 40 also

Boolit Master
    Eventhough you don't mention Bullseye, it's my go to powder for 9mm, .45 acp and .45 Colt. 4 grains in 9mm and 5 for the .45's. I haven't tried anything else, but will consider HP38 or Win 231 for my next reloads. Always willing to try a new powder within reason. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm getting into casting my own 9mm boolits. I have the Lee TL356-124-TC mold and have cast a few hundred slugs from wheelweights already. I'm looking for around 950 fps, the guns I'm shooting are a Ruger P95 and SR9c. Any favorite powders or loads out there? I have Unique, Accurate #2, Accurate #5, and Hodgdon Titegroup on my bench.
    Bullseye. But if you only want 950 fps, I'd go with Red Dot instead. You're going to have trouble loading them that slow.

I don't like Titegroup, but 9mm would be a good way to use it up if you have it already. The case is short enough you can actually eyeball it in there (unlike in .38 Specials, etc)

Boolit Buddy
    My all time favorite is 4 grains of red dot for cast in the 9mm. I stole that load from Ken Waters in his Pet Loads series of articles. If you are gonna steal, then steal from the best. I have been using that load since the late 70's.

Have fun weith this stuff.

Big Dale

Boolit Master

For accuracy at the top end of the velocity range with 120's and 147's(1200+ and 1000+fps) Hogdon Longshot worked the best for me.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    Unique and AA #5
    AA #5 is my go to powder for 9mm and .40 S&W.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
    Wsf...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Caster View Post
    Eventhough you don't mention Bullseye, it's my go to powder for 9mm, .45 acp and .45 Colt. 4 grains in 9mm and 5 for the .45's. I haven't tried anything else, but will consider HP38 or Win 231 for my next reloads. Always willing to try a new powder within reason. BC
    I use Universal from Hodgdon. Also 4gr. for 9mm and 5gr. for .45ACP as above.
    My moulds are just simple 'ol Lee TL round noses; 124 and 230gr. respectively.
    73, KC5CQW

Hard work usually pays off in the end but... Procrastination pays off right now!

Boolit Buddy
    I use 4.0 of Titegroup and a CCI 500 with the 125 grainers.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

HS-6 works well with the Lyman 356402 in 9mm Parabellum. It appears similar to the Lee TL356-124-TC, by looking at them both in the catelogue. You'd have to do some load experimentation for your application. HS-6 is listed in the Lyman handbook so if you're interested, you'd have a starting point. For plinking, I'd progressively load down until the slide stopped cycling, then add a half a grain to a grain and have a real consistent mild load.

My two coppers worth, and trying to be helpful,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned

I'd use Unique, it's just about the right burn rate for the velocity you want and boolits you're using.

Personally, I load it a bit faster (1050-1080 fps) using Power Pistol. Longshot and HS6 would be on my "to try" list as well, I use a lot of them in other calibers, but I tried the PP first and it worked so well for what I wanted I stuck with it.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I use power pistol in 9mm , it is working well for me 4.5 gr

4.5 gr power pistol under a lee 356-120TC

i like it in 40 also
    Ditto, although I'm at 4.7gr at 1.070". Cut to 357 with Carnauba Red. It's my go-to for Steel Challenge, USPSA, etc.

HP38 works well too, and has nearly identical performance at the same VOLUME. (4.0 gr of HP38 performs nearly idnetically to 4.8 gr of Power Pistol -- but power pistol is a bit more volumous on the gas side, so it works compensators better, IMO.)

I've even used Blue Dot for USPSA Open Major -- but it's a VERY full case and VERY high velocity (9mm Major, afterall) and is VERY smokey, so it really only works well with comp'd race guns...)

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If you do a search for the TL Lee 124 gr TC mold you might find someone with the patience to get a successful group with it. I would get rid of the mold and go to a standard lube design, saving yurself a lot of time, powder and heartache.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast