RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mihec 22 Nato Data

Mihec - 22 Nato

I had thought that I already posted this but, couldn’t find it so...

Winchester M70 Heavy Varmint .223 (1:10 twist) 6-24x Bushnell

LC brass; RP 7˝ primers, 23.2 grains IMR 4007 SSC, 2.240 oal

LC brass; RP 7˝ primers, 23.2 grains IMR 4007 SSC, 2.260 oal

The 22 Nato seated to 2.260 oal will chamber and extract without leaving the boolit in this barrel.

Seated to 2.260 oal, groups into about 1˝" at 100 yards for a 10 shot group.

the loads seated to 2.240 oal grouped into about 2˝+" at 100 yards for 10 shots.

Alloy was 92-6-2 air cooled, gator checks and Apache Blue lube .225 ready to load weight is 62 grains
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    After a SNAFU on gas check purchase I got around to lube and sizing some droppings from the "NATO" mold. I used pure lino for the alloy. The sizer die had an issue (another story) but I did come up with about 35 good boolits to try. I did loads using Tula 5.56 primers, LC brass and three charges of H4895. The test tool is a S&W M&P 15 carbine. Range for this initial test was 50 yards.

17 grains H4895: 5 loaded --Would not reliably cycle and poor accuracy

18 grains H4895: All (only 5 loaded) cycled ok but last did not lock back bolt. Accuracy was still not good with 3" group of 5.

19 grains H4895: I had loaded 10 of these. Cycled fine and last did lock back bolt. Accuracy was promising with 9 of 10 round group contained within a 1" square and the 10th about 1-3/4 high from center of square.

Next time will be at 100 yards and a few more charges of H4895 -- likely 19, 19.5 and 20.

I used Felix lube and there was not a hint of leading.
    Last edited by ph4570; 12-30-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    Is anyone having trouble getting these to drop from the mold. It seems I have to beat my mold to get them out. I am casting as hot as Linotype will allow me to

Probably have a burr on the cavity edge. There is a proper way to remove those and then your bullets will drop right out. I read it some where on the castboolits forum a while back, but I can't remember the details.

Quote Originally Posted by gvanzeggelaar View Post
    Is anyone having trouble getting these to drop from the mold. It seems I have to beat my mold to get them out. I am casting as hot as Linotype will allow me to
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by gvanzeggelaar View Post
    I am casting as hot as Linotype will allow me to
    That is the problem.......... Doing that requires the mold some time to cool down enough to let go of the boolit. Try in the 725 to 750 degree range.

Boolit Master

Another range trip with the "NATO"

Loaded up some more rounds with a bit more propellant than the initial cast outing last week. Shot at 100 yards from bench with scope. I should have stopped after the first 8 rounds, 1/2" inch group!!!!!!

The last two opened the group up to a gnat's whisker more than an inch. Think that was me from being excited over the first 8. I believe this load recipe is a keeper.

BTW, I run lino at 675 degrees under PID control.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email--IMG_1796.jpg 
Views:	483 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	57922
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    19.5g H4895? Looks like a keeper!

Boolit Master
    Yes, 19.5 gr H4895.
    ph4570

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Loaded up some more rounds with a bit more propellant than the initial cast outing last week. Shot at 100 yards from bench with scope. I should have stopped after the first 8 rounds, 1/2" inch group!!!!!!

The last two opened the group up to a gnat's whisker more than an inch. Think that was me from being excited over the first 8. I believe this load recipe is a keeper.

BTW, I run lino at 675 degrees under PID control.
    Good work....... do you have any idea of your velocity?

Boolit Master
    Whats you oal?, I have a M&P sport and would like to try your load, starting at 18 gr.
    Yes, 19.5 gr H4895.

Boolit Master
    I do not know the velocity but would like to. I have a chrono but my range has very poor lighting and my readings are problematic. I will give it a try and if the results are consistent I will report them.

I will get the OAL next time I get down to the shack. I use the Hornady boolit comparator vs. OAL. I'll report both values when I check my notes in the shack. I suspect I could go longer on OAL but with the current results I am inclined to leave it.

Needless to say I really like this mold.

BTW, I am using Tula 5.56 primers and LC brass. The gas checks are annealed Hornady. I lube and size with a star equipped with one of Lathesmith's fine dies sized to 0.225+. I open the case mouth with a Lyman M using the supplied expander plug and use a Lee factory crimp die to close the bell and put on a VERY slight crimp.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Very nice group and thanks for the report. When funds allow I think I will try this mold too. Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Whats you oal?, I have a M&P sport and would like to try your load, starting at 18 gr.
    OAL = 2.220"

Base to ogive using Hornady comparator insert #2-22 = 2.030"
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Thanks
    OAL = 2.220"

Base to ogive using Hornady comparator insert #2-22 = 2.030"

Boolit Master
    PH4570, I don't have any Tula primers so I am going to try your load with CCI 400, and CCI 450 to see if there is a difference between those as far as accuracy. The Tula 5.56 is a magnum primer I assume with a hard cup?

Boolit Master
    Also want to try H335 for this boolit. I have a few pound of that, and am running low on the h4895 now. Seems 18 grains of that should get me about where you are as far as velocity.I have gotton better accuracy in 223 with h335 vs 4895 with jacketed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    PH4570, I don't have any Tula primers so I am going to try your load with CCI 400, and CCI 450 to see if there is a difference between those as far as accuracy. The Tula 5.56 is a magnum primer I assume with a hard cup?
    Yes, the Tula 5.56 is said to be a magnum with a hard cup.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Shot some of my MiHec 22 NATO using 19.5 grs. of IMR 4895 and my homemade Glenn Fryxell moly lube. I used straight WW with a little flea market solder added. Action worked perfect and accuracy was good. Hope to play a little and get that better but was just trying to get everything to function. Brass HAS to be resized correctly using a good guage! I had no leading from my DD chrome lined barrel!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Based on Vihtavuoris loading tables:
    http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel.../relodata/5/44

This load caught my eye:
    HPBT Sierra 64,8gr
    COAL 2.551"
    Powder N135 18.8gr (start load)
    Velocity 2333fps

Sounds similar to the Mihec in weight, velocities are near what i want from a cast load. This one is loaded too long but I don't think it's too far fetched to replace the bullet with the mihec, load to 2.26" and maybe cut back to 17 grains as a starting load.

EDIT: I have some N110 in stock right now, I mean to try it as well first. I hope to cast some bullets this weekend. Waiting for calibration equipment and gas checks still.
    Last edited by HDS; 02-21-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast