RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman 450 ube/sizer upgrade

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Have an old 450 Lyman Lubesizer from 1980--the Operating handle (Part # 2990602) broke on me yesterday. I suppose a replacement is no longer offered and I have to buy the upgrade kit. I should not complain as it lasted 32 years...however it would appear that Lyman knew of the problem back in 1980 as they had come out with the new style 450 that uses different (better parts)...I may very well weld a plate to the old one just to se if it would work. In the meantime I have e-mailed Lyman for the cost of the handle upgrade kit.

I should have bought the RCBS model ...I doubt it would have broken on me...and if it did they'd give me the parts needed.
    Update...

Contacted Lyman--they were prompt in their response and very helpful--the upgrade kit is $26 "out the door"... I have had issues with other Lyman products and they have always been good to me....I best stop my bitch'n and be grateful. In this case the 450 lasted 32 years and they have parts for it at a reasonable cost. Thank you Lyman!

Boolit Buddy

My 450 (acquired new in 1973) also had the brass pressure nut.

This year the nut finally started to spin so turning the rachet didn't produce pressure. I replaced it with the new O ring type.

Boolit Master
    I bought my 450 new in the early 70s and it came with the brass ring which I have been using ever since. It does form some lube ribbons if I push it too hard but they just go back in the lube pot for the next melt and refill.

I have the 450 with the O rings but found that putting a heater on it helps alot to take some of the pressure off the handel. I got the heater from Midway it is one you cna use on any heater because the holes they got for different sizers set up .now I have a easyer time to use the sizer now .hope this will help some also .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    ncbearman, I don't know where you got your sizer, but I've never seen a 450 with the old-style piston! I'm pretty sure the O-ring piston was one of the many "upgrades" to the new design. I'd say someone gave you what we call in Texas "The Chorizo Grande"!

I actually like the brass wiper ring. It leaves a few lube ribbons above the pressure piston but it never wears out.

Gear
    One of mine is the gray 450 with the old style red handle. It has a brass piston nut, but grey color. Age unknown. It might have been during a transition period at the factory when they were using up old parts before starting the new ones. Most multi-part devices have disclaimers about different parts during the production runs. Makes sense to use up all the old parts first. Any nickel saved goes in someones pocket.

Boolit Master

I use two 450's and two 45's and they have a mixture of the brass and the 'O' ring versions for the pressure nut. Both work just fine but I wholeheartedly agree with Trapper9260, adding just a bit of heat (as little as a light bulb) make things much easier and less messy. No need for a lot of pressure (that make lube ribbons), better lube groove fill out, and I find I can get a few boolits through the sizer before each crank of the ratchet.
    Semper Fi

I have three 450s. Never knew there was anything but the brass piston.

I never use a lubrisizer cold. Just a mechanics' drop lamp applied 20 minutes before I start a lubing session does me fine. Lay it aside when I start. If the lubrisizer cools off enough to need more warming, it's time to take a break anyway.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12