Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Carbolic soap

Boolit Grand Master

Carbolic soap

In the lead section? Yes, in the lead section. Because it works really well for getting the lead off your hands, that's why.

HERE is a link to what a fellow forum member sent me a coupla' bars of. This stuff don't exactly smell like something you'd want to wash in before you go to church, but it will clean your hands down to the pink! And it lathers better than ANY bar soap I've EVER used!

In four months, I have processed just over two tons of lead. I'm callin' the doc's office in the morning and order a blood lead level test. Then I'm going to order a coupla' boxes of nitrile gloves to wear when I'm working and handling the product.

Janet just handed me a sheet of paper with the irreversable effects of lead poisoning:

COGNITIVE DEFICIT (can't think, concentrate, calculate, etc.....)

PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY (pain and/or tingling in the extremities, especially the fingers)

RENAL DYSFUNCTION (kidney problems)

BLINDNESS

CANCER

Other symptoms:

Abdominal cramping
    Constipation
    Tremors
    Mood swings/changes
    headaches
    Vision blurring

I have experienced some tingling in my fingers. That's all the signal I need to get my wormy butt down to Doc's office and get the test done, buy nitrile gloves and wash my hands like I'm about to perform surgery.

I suggest y'all think about all this and consider doing the same thing.

Moderator Emeritus

If you were to hop in ye olde way back machine and wander the halls of your local hospital you'd be greeted with the aroma of carbolic disinfectant. Nothing else on this earth smells quite like it.

I use it to wash up with after working with lead for extended periods of time. My BLL's have never been elevated, knock wood. Good luck with your BLL test, it's the one test you shouldn't study for.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

If ya don't rub the oxides into a cut, or breath the dusty dross, or eat or smoke with filthy hands, I'll bet you are in the normal range.
    You really have to have bad cleanliness habits to mess up. In most cases, just plain common sense washing your hands, is 99% effective.
    As far as the problems on that paper, most folks over 50 have most of them without ever seeing lead.
    It pays to be safe, but don't get all scared, and bent out of shape over it.

Boolit Master
    Jim if you can find a black nitrile glove called "Raven", buy those. They are tougher than the blue ones and fit much better.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Vaseline used to make a carbolated vaseline .It was light brown in color . Only place i know of now to get it is Watkins Products . Arnie

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jim, by some strange coincidence, I get virtually the same side effects from Scotch!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post

As far as the problems on that paper, most folks over 50 have most of them without ever seeing lead.
    The problems is,, we were exposed to a lot more lead than we saw or knew about.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Jim, by some strange coincidence, I get virtually the same side effects from Scotch!
    I KNEW there was something about Ric that I admired, I just KNEW it!