RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27

Boolit Man
    75,000 Wadcutter!? Holy Cow! I've got a new Clark PPC revolver coming in next week, I'll die of old age before I reach that number!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Clark PPC Revolver.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	116181

Boolit Buddy
    As a result of this thread, I've started going through my .38 Special brass sorting out all of the wadcutter cases. I've notice two different styles. Some have a double cannelure as shown in the original post, and some have only a single cannelure, at the same spot on the case as the top line of the double cannelure cases. I've also noted some cases with cannelures between an eighth and a quarter of an inch from the mouth, but I'm not setting those ones aside.

Once I get them all sorted I'll need to get a wadcutter mold. Then I'll re-read this entire thread again for best practices.

Boolit Man
    It seems like all the Federal .38 Special brass I've got is suitable for wadcutters.

I have done some "research" into "wadcutter brass" and posted a thread on THE HIGH ROAD.
    I found the information I based my conclusions on from threads found here, BULLSEYEFORUM and THE HIGH ROAD.
    I was looking for information on reloading for a Smith and Wesson Model 52, but the thread should be interesting to anyone looking into "wadcutter brass".
    Enjoy!
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760718

Boolit Master

I will not use nickle cases in my Colt Mid-Range Match 38 Special Auto.
    The brass retards in the rings in the chamber better
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have always liked wacutters, at target velocities, they are much less destructive on edible small game than the HV .22lr. I have two different wad cutter molds, both Lyman molds the 358101 (77 gr.) and the 358495 (141 gr.) When I lived back east I almost exclusively used the 77 gr. mold for small game loads (4 gr. of BE). With that load and my 4" mod 28, and sometimes a Blackhawk .357, I killed a truck load of small game. That load was inexpensive, produced almost no wear on my guns, and had adequate accuracy for small game ranges.

75K rounds is pretty impressive, with target loads, you probably will not live long enough to wear out a gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I had one with the 6" barrel in the original blue box wrapped in the brown paper. Pristine condition but I thought it was too light for 357Mag loads so only shot it a couple of times and traded it for something else I just had to have. Never occurred to me to shoot 38sp through it for some reason. It's one of the very few guns I've had that I'd give an arm and a leg to get back.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Texasflyboy

Have you shot a lot of magnum loads through your 27 or is all of that gas cutting on the topstrap from your target loads ?

Great post, thank you. This goes with what my grandfather taught me, there's nothing wrong with finding the perfect load, and then sticking with it. Sure, there's great fun in finding that load, but once you do, you don't have to keep experimenting. This is what it's all about, thank you again, great read. I'm saving it to show grandpa next time I see him.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Bub
    Good info here, didn't know about the wadcutters brass...will now separate mine.

Boolit Master

^^
    Wish I had some to separate.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I separated mine and have a drawer full. I have not noticed any difference in accuracy in my Target Masterpiece.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    This is a good reading, I've been looking at the 148gr Lee six cavity mold. do you guys have any recommendations?

Boolit Mold
    Awesome Pistol. we have a guy that shoots bullseye with one of those on our league shoots.

Boolit Master
    You know it was a good post when it continues on after 3 years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsaxe View Post
    This is a good reading, I've been looking at the 148gr Lee six cavity mold. do you guys have any recommendations?
    Keep an eye out for a four cavity H&G 50 or a Lyman 358495.

Edit: Check your PM's
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank you sir! Wonderful info
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Great info.

Boolit Master

It has been over 2 years since I last posted in this thread and I can add little to what has been posted since then. One thing I will say, the H&G 4 cavity #50 mold has gotten heavier since then. I made a mold guide that works wonders in long sessions.

I've got a couple of other WC molds that I want to try out. The last one I haven't cast with yet but looks promising, the MP Di Carli .359-148. Anyone have any experience with it?
    John
    W.TN

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I know Texas Flyboy and have handled and shot the gun. As far as I know he may have fired a few magnum rounds, but I would doubt any more than 1% of the total. I use the Saeco #348 double-end, bevel base wadcutter, same as described in the Ed Harris article on the Hensley & Gibbs web site and also on Grant Cunningham's blog. Great info!

BTW, you can outside neck turn new, uncannelured Winchester or Starline brass to 0.010" mouth and neck wall thickness to the seating depth of your wadcutter bullet, then uniform flasholes and primer pockets to make your own "wadcutter brass!"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast