WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .690 Ball in 12g

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I have to try the patching myself. I really would not have thought a round ball patched into a hull with no shotcup would retain the patch especially during that jump from hull through forcing cone.

However, if Nobade says it works, I believe him.

It is easy enough to try too so when I get time it is on my "to do" list.

I have patched 0.662" balls into shotcups in hulls but in that case they are undersize and the patch is retained by the shotcup. That works very well for me.

As for loads, like Nobade, I have used mostly Blue Dot because I had lots. I wimped out at 38 grs. under a 0.735" RB. That was more recoil in a light gun than I needed. The 0.735" RB weighs in at about 675 grs. so a bit heavier than 0.690" RB which should be about 480 grs. in wheelweights.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Their back!!!

Attention Lee .690 round ball lovers, finally they're back! about 2 weeks ago I spent two days emailing back and forth with the ballistics products trying to talk them into doing a run of their "122ct2 1/4 felt donut wads" for those of you that have never used the donut wad and arent familiar with them they're the perfect answer to the 690 round ball. It's a special one they make for law enforcement and military loads, 1/4in thick high-density felt with a .230 hole through the center that acts as a cradle both cushioning and keeping the 690 round ball centered down the bore. I love to use these with the cheap claybuster wad found locally (petals removed) roll crimped, these are the best answer for using the cheap lee round ball mold.I'll try to get a pic uploaded later.

Boolit Master
    Well it is now listed on the website:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/12g...ctinfo/122CT2/

Just a side note: The use of "doughnut" wads to form an "air-cushion" in order to reduce pellet setback deformation, was discussed by Major Sir Gerald Burrard in his 1931 two volume work The Modern Shotgun.
    Last edited by RMc; 10-16-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just may have to order me some of those to try. So far the 0.690" ball is one I have not gotten any accuracy from at all. Not quite sure why but there you go. This may solve it.

I haven't shot any 0.690" balls for some time because I found that undersize balls in shotcups and bore size balls shot fine. The 0.690" is a good size and weight though and for many a nice option due to inexpensive Lee moulds.

Longbow

In Remembrance

if you try the donut wads, let us know how thet work. i read they are for " SPECIAL PURPOSE FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY " but i always wondered what exactly those loads are!
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master
    Most likely for "less lethal" rubber ball loads.

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    if you try the donut wads, let us know how thet work. i read they are for " SPECIAL PURPOSE FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY " but i always wondered what exactly those loads are!
    C-

Boolit Master

Winchester Pre-WWII 12 Gauge Ball Cartridges

In Remembrance

u talking abt the .645 ball in 12ga?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by flipfew View Post
    Their back!!!

Attention Lee .690 round ball lovers, finally they're back! about 2 weeks ago I spent two days emailing back and forth with the ballistics products trying to talk them into doing a run of their "122ct2 1/4 felt donut wads" for those of you that have never used the donut wad and arent familiar with them they're the perfect answer to the 690 round ball. It's a special one they make for law enforcement and military loads, 1/4in thick high-density felt with a .230 hole through the center that acts as a cradle both cushioning and keeping the 690 round ball centered down the bore. I love to use these with the cheap claybuster wad found locally (petals removed) roll crimped, these are the best answer for using the cheap lee round ball mold.I'll try to get a pic uploaded later.
    Would be really interested in seeing that pic.

Boolit Master
    See Post 23 above.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    Would be really interested in seeing that pic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    u talking abt the .645 ball in 12ga?
    Yes, it was suprising to me that a 17 gauge ball size was chosen for 12 gauge cartridges when a 16 gauge ball, (.662"), is the size usually mentioned in pre-WWII shooting literature. The shame of it is "doughnut" felt wads were reasonably well known by the 1930's and ball shotshell cartridges with a doughnut felt wad below the ball, (and sometimes above also), were already being loaded in Russia/USSR by that time. One suspects Winchester was already considering phasing out the single ball load by that time.
    Last edited by RMc; 10-30-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Interesting stuff...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned
    Great post, we can all learn from it.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned
    Good morning, yes there is hope.
    Great post, we can all learn from it.
    Here is the good news, but that Win 12F114 wad is not in the picture, the measurements are at the bottom of the picture:

* * The ones whose barrel is Over bored will love the Fed 12S-0 wad third from left and 4th from left in Red Versalite wad !

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-12-2021 at 11:40 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Beretta FS-1 with 27" full choke. Lee .69 round ball dropped into muzzle "hangs" in the choke, but can be pushed through muzzle with finger pressure only, then falls clear through bore of its own weight.

CBC 2-1/2" brass case, Federal 155 large pistol magnum primer, 16 grains Red Dot, .125" card over powder then two 12mm waxed fiber cushion wad. 1/8" grease cookie inserted over cushion wads and naked ball simply mashed onto the grease cookie to hold in place. No shot cup or top wad. Gives 1326 fps. NOT as accurate as Winchester factory slug, but useful expedient.

Attachment 279511Attachment 279512

Groups fired at 25 yards just aiming down barrel and holding bead sight at 6:00. Brown smudge over notation on top of left target is a wad impact.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12