RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationPBcastco
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .31 Buck shot

Boolit Master

I use that Lee mold as well, 9 stacked in a WAA12 wad does it juussttt riiggghhhttt.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is the point of lubing buckshot that is placed in a wad?

I do not do so, and the buckshot do not fuse together, so the reason for lubing wad protected buckshot completely escapes me.

Question Who Lubes Buck Shot

Good point sir.

I didn't start off wanting to lube, essentially was trying to hard roll on an old steel lube tray to round off the sprue marks. Then found it easier to use a home made tumbler.
    They came out lubed so I guess it doesn't hurt.

In saying that though, I was watching the video instructions on Sharpshooters website and he lubed them as well, as did others that commented on his instructional on You tube.
    Some say they separate easier and roll better..who knows.

They are far more expert than I, plus it looks nicer in my view, before loading.
    Why also do we graphite bird shot??? To lube them. I see your point though.

Interested in others comments

Boolit Master
    After a lifetime of being a rifle and pistol shooter, I have just recently started playing with buckshot loads.

Today I fired a couple of rounds of Winchester's 3" 24 pellet #1 at 25 yards. Each round put +/- 16 on an IPSC target at that range. The coverage was good, but I did expect a little tighter patterning. Federal premium OO buffered and plated (haven't gotten to try the flight control yet) did a bunch better, keeping all 9 pellets on the torso target. Both out of an 870 with 18&1/2" cylinder choked barrel.

I haven't reloaded shotgun shells in 20 years or so, but I still have the gear. Have a Lee .311 roundball mould on order, as well as the 1 oz slug mould. what kind of loads and patterns are ya'll getting out of water dropped wheelweight .311's in the 12 gauge? I probably won't be able to beat what Federal is getting with their Flitecontrol wad, but I would like to beat the patterns I'm getting with standard soft Buckshot available @ Chinamart.

Ordering a .600 mold as well, and the hulls and wads to recreate Dixie's Tri-Ball.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    I put three layers three of these in a Win ounce and an eighth shot cup in a AA hull with a moderate charge of powder--just enough to cycle through a Rem 1100 and get 10-12 inch patterns at 25 yards from a modified choke tube. I didn't get tighter patterns from a full choke. No buffering medium was used. This seems to be similar to the recoil of the "tactical" LEO loads and the WD WW balls will probably penetrate a car windshield, which a standard alloy buckshot load seldom does. I need to find a dump with an old car in it to try it out.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post

I need to find a dump with an old car in it to try it out.
    Use caution.
    I have been hit twice and seen others get hit by rounds coming back from automobiles.

Boolit Master
    One of the easiest ways to tighten patterns with shotshell reloads without changing choke or components is to dial the load back. Work back in .5 grain steps until you get the desired pattern.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    What kind of loads and patterns are ya'll getting out of water dropped wheelweight .311's in the 12 gauge?
    Bottom of the page.

http://http://castboolits.gunloads.c...d.php?t=148999

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned

I wouldn't worry too much about the flat spots, if they don't have them when you load them they'll have LOTS of them after firing.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    Internet Explorer cannot display the web page-- what am I doing wrong?
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

Don't know what happened but here is my data.

Remington Hi Brass Hulls once fired
    Fed 209A primers
    Unique 22.2 grs
    9ea .309 round balls ea 45.6 grs total 390 grs (short of 1 oz/432 grs)
    Wad WAA12

Pack the balls onto the wad 3 at a time and seat with a pencil. Add just a touch of Styrofoam from some peanuts to finish filling up wad/case. Light recoil and good performance from 18” cyl bore 870. I didn't chorograph the load.

Packing the balls in, use a pencil to seat

Fired the rounds out of my Rem 870 with 18" cyl bore, recoil was like a Factory reduced 8 pellet buckshot load, ie light recoil

Results 15/25 yds

Then adding one more .311 pellet for 10 0 buck balls 2x5 with 22.4 grs Unique. Little bit more recoil, like a standard field load, course now weight is exactly 1 oz.

Then since I also cast and shoot .36 cap and ball revolvers tought of using the 66.5 gr .375 round balls. Had to cut the pedals off the WAA12 wad to be able to stack 2x3 inside. Added a bit of styrofoam to prevent balls from moving.

.311-0 buck compared to .375 or 0000 buck

Target from Rem 870 18" cyl bore

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Combat Diver:

Your results look similar to mine (I didn't take photos, nor did I chrono them). I've got a bag full of the .36 round balls I cast also, so I'll give them a try, too. I like the idea of using the bits of styrofoam as filler. At 15 yards I think I'd be taking head shots on that guy with either load. GF

Hi, I used 9x .31 RB in a 1oz wad, Winchester AA hull and 21 grains of WST.

Single shot H and R 12g, Full fixed choke.

Results of two rounds fired at the target at 30m ( 32.8 yards). The smaller holes were 7 1/2 trap loads for comparison

Boolit Master
    Just cast up a bunch of .311" balls, and a bunch of .600" for use in the Dixie Tri-ball repro. Need to get some Blue Dot powder for the heavies. Haven't tried the Lee 1 oz. slug mould yet, but it came in with the same order. Kinda time constrained, but I do want to get into the buck and slug reloading hobby. The epoxy is setting on the XS big dot tritium sight I just put on the 870. thanks for the info y'all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HiVelocity View Post
    I bought one of the Sharpshooter molds to cast 0-buckshot

I got one of those molds. Couldn't get any good castings from it. Tried getting it hot but the handles got too hot to hold on to. What's the secret to getting it to cast?

USMC 77, USRA 79

The secret to getting it to cast well is welding gloves.

I used to throw the shot from my lee mold into the same ball mill I use for making BP. They turn out smooth, but after a while I just got lazy and didn’t do it, patterns were very similar. I don’t think it matters at all.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Track of the Wolf sells that Lee .310 RB mold in a 6 cavity. Might be of use if one was looking for a bit more productivity. Seems to work well. Does show flat spot more than .58 caliber but I don't think it flat spot is actually as large a diameter as the 58 caliber, would agree on the small ball it is more noticeable.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    An acquaintance of mine years ago enjoyed shooting cap & ball revolvers and muzzle-loaders with roundballs. His solution to the flat spots was to place the cast RBs between 2 glass panes--40 to 50 at a time--and roll the balls in a circular motion for a few minutes between the panes. I watched him do this a couple times, and it did largely "remove" the flats and sprue marks.
    I do pretty much the same thing except I use a thick flat piece of aircraft grade aluminum and a smaller square flat piece of steel . I cast .380” for 0000 Buck and .395” for 00000 Buck .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I bought a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. I add 2 lbs in each tumbler (comes with two), a light squirt of graphite, and I tumble them for a couple hours.

Comes out looking like this:

Works great on slugs, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast