Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

You have some work to do.

Just bought a one ounce slug mold...went from having enough to not having enough.

Where y'all getting linotype? I have access to our range lead, as much as I want but it IS a little soft. I cast practice boolits but would like to add something to get it a little harder. Like I said, it's all range lead and I have SOME WW but it's getting harder to find. Mike.

Tons of lead must be matched with loads of primers, just finished inventory and am in balance for my lifetime + some. Primers will be the first to go, lots of powder will be available but bullets will be difficult to come by. Just my thoughts.

I just had an idea. Everyone asking what I want for Christmas. Primers!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    I just had an idea. Everyone asking what I want for Christmas. Primers!!!
    Just make sure they know what kind!

Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    So this poll is to find out who's arm to twist so's you're in their will, right????

Dan
    Won't work...I'm taking everything with me!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Well I'm 35, have just started casting and have about 300lb of roofing lead, pipe and mono. I cast for .45-70, although I've just ordered a .357 to reduce my lead and powder consumption....

I've got a lot of hoarding to do before I get close to having enough! A couple of tons would be nice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Well I'm 35, have just started casting and have about 300lb of roofing lead, pipe and mono. I cast for .45-70, although I've just ordered a .357 to reduce my lead and powder consumption....

I've got a lot of hoarding to do before I get close to having enough! A couple of tons would be nice.
    A .45-70 goes through lead rather quickly.

I do most of my shooting on a place I own now and will mine the berm one day. In the mean time, I try to gather a bucket or two each time I go to the public range to shoot and RSO, no problem with me scrounging on the pistol range. I'll keep getting it cheap or free as long as I can, but it's kind of nice knowing my castings are going where I can reuse them again at some point. The situation may never get that bad and I may pass away with a berm full of lead here, but it'll be there if I need it.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    I'm relatively new to the casting game. Got into casting because I was getting tired of throwing money away buying commercial bullets. Even after I started casting, I realized I was still throwing money away...........only it was downrange. But if I could only reclaim it.......Hmmmmm!? My solution was to build a bullet trap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2080598424-4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	170027

Now, I'm able to reclaim somewhere in the range of 95% of what I throw downrange. Probably 5% of it is "vaporized", but the rest of the lead is pulverized into small granules that I'm able to scoop out of the tires with a soup can and recycle. My thinking is now I won't have to have quite as large a "lifetime" supply as I would have otherwise.
    Chris

Boolit Master

If I keep pulling out in front of a semi I'll have a surplus.

Just kidding but my Wife keep saying you can go until she saw that semi sail though a red light.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

My wife and I got T boned by a Semi last year. Totaled our little Avalon. I was hoping to drive that car for many, many years. We were blessed though...nobody hurt. Ill never forget the noise though....like a bomb going off and instantly showered with glass.

Hey 62Chevy... Are you going to add Orlando to your signature? Much, much worse than Paris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Hey 62Chevy... Are you going to add Orlando to your signature? Much, much worse than Paris
    Ya it's time for a change anyways.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

I'm lucky, live in area of mills and mines. I have never bought lead in my life. I make and sell
    fishing lures, sinkers, ect. Guys that buy off me are always bringing me lead. I would not even
    want to guess how much I have, several tons. Due to a tin plate mill going under I have managed
    to stash close to 500lbs of tin. Recently shoveled up type in basement of building that used to
    be a newspaper, 2 drywall buckets, hospital redid XRay dept. I scarfed up all that & got a bunch
    of containers from XRay pellets. I have two ingots in Garage that go over 500lds @, they were
    counter weights on conveyor belt. I have a lot of alloys like Babbitt, but have been saving them
    for poured bearings in some farm machinery. I smelt once a year and pour into ingots. Use tool
    stamp to label them.

Yes, I am definitely there. I have a lifetime supply of lead. Maybe 1500lbs. There are still a couple of guys I've bought from in the past who offer up ingots now and then that do such a great job at such a good price, I usually buy some. I also have enough Monotype, solder and pewter on hand to tweak my pile of lead into anything I might need. Some might scoff at 1500lbs being considered a lifetime supply but I'm only casting for 9MM handgun (124gr) and 300BO (150gr). That's a heck of a lot of boolits! However, I also reload for 223 and have lifetime quantities each of 22LR and 7N6 factory ammo. Toss in the large quantity of SS109, 9mm and 30 caliber FMJ projectiles, and you can see I'm splitting my time amongst enough stuff at my age of 50+ that I'll never use 1500lbs of lead as a casual paper target shooter. I think I'm covered in powder and close on primers. If I take care of my brass, I'm probably about finished spending money on casting and reloading and can just enjoy myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I'm lucky, live in area of mills and mines. I have never bought lead in my life. I make and sell
    fishing lures, sinkers, ect. Guys that buy off me are always bringing me lead. I would not even
    want to guess how much I have, several tons. Due to a tin plate mill going under I have managed
    to stash close to 500lbs of tin. Recently shoveled up type in basement of building that used to
    be a newspaper, 2 drywall buckets, hospital redid XRay dept. I scarfed up all that & got a bunch
    of containers from XRay pellets. I have two ingots in Garage that go over 500lds @, they were
    counter weights on conveyor belt. I have a lot of alloys like Babbitt, but have been saving them
    for poured bearings in some farm machinery. I smelt once a year and pour into ingots. Use tool
    stamp to label them.
    I truly envy you, my friend. I know envy is bad, but I have to admit you are where I'd like to be. Heck, I'd love to be able to say I've even 50 pounds of tin!!!!!

I'll claim "I've a lifetime supply" if/when I've a thousand pounds of alloy mixed for my needs. I've got a bullet trap on my range and recover about 95% of what I throw down-range, so with a "K" I'll be fixed for life, I think. (I'm old, so can say that) Oh, and I've a long way to go to meet that "K" goal!
    Chris

Boolit Master

I just did a rough calculation and lowballed what is downstairs. I have enough for a little over a quarter million 200 grain bullets. Looks like I need to lay in a stash of a few more primers. Powder supply is good.
    At one with the gun.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Is it out of line to say the berm in my back yard is a lead piggy bank ? Airplane tires filled with sand with plastic skids screwed to the front and back of the tires to hold it together. If I was reading right Chris C says he scoops the lead out of the tires so I am thinking he has a steel backing on the tires and they are just catching the splatters not a bad way for quick reclaiming of the lead. Oh I have a couple of tons of alloy but still pick it up when I can. Since they are cutting the lead supply out getting a large supply will keep my boys shooting after I am gone.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    That's correct, RP. The chains that hold the trap up to the cross bar are hooked to a 1/2" thick AR500 plate that hangs in the center tire. At the end of a week of shooting, I scoop the lead shards out of the three tires and will save it for rendering time.

Name:	p1898018757-4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	170852
    Chris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    That's correct, RP. The chains that hold the trap up to the cross bar are hooked to a 1/2" thick AR500 plate that hangs in the center tire. At the end of a week of shooting, I scoop the lead shards out of the three tires and will save it for rendering time.

Name:	p1898018757-4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	170852
    That's a great idea. I shoot at a swinger all the time at my local club. When I miss, I console myself with the hasn't that I can recover the boolit from the sand instead of it being obliterated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast