Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Man

Here is my no space needed idea for storing lead. There are 184 bars in the bucket which is 1lb a piece.
    I need to recount the bars. I did not think I could fit that many in a cat liter bucket.

This is what you see when all finished. I store feed in the can.
    If a thief looks to see what is under neath the concrete pad I guess I start hiding it in the trees.

Boolit Master

Proper answer not available in poll. Proper answer is "I hope not." Any one that has enough is either not going to live long enough or is not shooting enough.

Boolit Master
    I do not have much lead. I look every day. I find so many stashes at hoarders houses and offer to buy it or trade or what ever they would want. They are hoarders and will never part with it or use it. So freaking sad. Well guys I wish you all luck finding lead I hope you all do better then I do.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    300# of my version of Lyman #2, over a grand of 35 year old ww's, plus same in pure lead and fifty pounds of Babbitt to use for tin,I may be set for a while,you know! Keep scrounging, you will get there! Good luck to you!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Getting there.
    As I age, I acquire more lead and get too old to shoot. At some point, my lead stash which is an upward line on a graph and my age, which is a downward line on the graph will intersect. At that point, I will say that I have a lifetime supply.

I too think the poll is missing a viable response. Too much is almost enough gets my vote. Who knows I could be blessed with decent health and a long life of get hit by a bus later today. Wife and kids know to offer it up here first because you guys will load it yourself to feed your addiction. Says the guy who dragged a 400# chunk on a two wheel dolly up a gravel driveway to get it in the garage

Figure they do "Recreational Therapy" in retirement homes so....
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I just finished melting down my last WW's. Took inventory and I have 400 lb of WW. 160 lb of pure lead & 160 lb. of lino. At my age, 66, I think I can stop looking for lead. I probably have 2000 boolits cast up and a new toy on the way. A 92 Rossi 45Colt. I have plenty of brass and plenty of jacketed boolits. I have 10,000 or so primers and a lot of powder.
    I think I'm in good shape but I will buy a bargain if I find it ! lol A couple years back, when there were no primers to buy, all my hunting buddy's gave me a visit . Could happen again.

Boolit Man
    200lbs of WW ingots, 300lbs of Lino, 100lbs of range scrap. . . I'm good for a while but am always looking for free/cheap lead. Also built a target to help reclaim the lead I already have!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a sweet beer for wheelweight deal going on with my tire guy. I smelt 2-4 times per year.
    Since I catch my boolits in a backstop, I prolly lose 1-5% of what I shoot.

My sons, their children and my great grandchildren could conceivably shoot on what I have already smelted.

But I'm not going to stop trading and smelting, since I think the availability of lead will decline and the value will rise.
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Boolit Grand Master

The older I get, the closer I am to a life time supply, but I won't let that stop me from collecting more.
    When my friends carry me to my final resting place, I'd like to leave them each a ton of lead.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

no ! the Mark lV can eat about 600#s in 1-8 hour session of 45 pistol. Add in a bucket of 45 rifle and 11mm in that same 8 hours and it's closer to 800 pounds a day.

just sayin.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    no ! the Mark lV can eat about 600#s in 1-8 hour session of 45 pistol. Add in a bucket of 45 rifle and 11mm in that same 8 hours and it's closer to 800 pounds a day.

just sayin.....
    800 lbs in a day?? Seriously? 800 x 7000 grains = 5,600,000. Divide that by 200gr 45 bullet and thats 28,000. That's what 99% of shooters shoot in 2 years at 1,000 rounds a month.

I'm way behind in my stock pile if 800 pounds isnt enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I just scored 275lbs of 1lb lyman #2 ingots. Did 3 buys of from the Swapping sections of WW ingots, roughly 300lbs, have about 100lbs in lino and bout to get 200lbs more of lino. At 33 and living in california, I'll never stop scouring. Lead for hunting just got banned, lead on car wheel weights are banned and I ban to lead sinkers for fishing is trying to get passed. Tough to find lead in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    ........ Lead for hunting just got banned, lead on car wheel weights are banned and I ban to lead sinkers for fishing is trying to get passed. Tough to find lead in my state.
    As a large demand goes away it will generally reduce prices overall. There would be some irony if California does all this banning and the reduction in demand drops the price of scrap lead 20% for everyone else. Causing a steady stream of very heavy USPS priority mail MFRB's coming into the state full of lead at lower cost. With greater stockpiling as a result.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Just started casting in the spring but ive stock piled about 25 pounds worth. I have no where near a life times worth but even if i hit the mouther load u can never have to much lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Umm maybe but that doesn't stop me from getting more when I can!

Rich

I'm in my 50s and have about 1 ton of lead. So.... I hope not but if I had to guess Id say I have enough

Boolit Buddy
    I did some math based on my powder stash. Rather than guess my life span I set a goal to get all my powder and primers loaded up by 2017. That would require I find 22,000 more cases and a total of 1700 lbs of pb, of which I only currently have 800 or so. I have a mission!
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Proper answer not available in poll. Proper answer is "I hope not." Any one that has enough is either not going to live long enough or is not shooting enough.
    That's wisdom, right there, and a rare commodity these days. Thank you for putting things into proper perspective.

Boolit Buddy

I'll second that. I've got at least a ton of lead bars that keep me busy casting and shooting but i never pass up lead when i find it as i don't think i could properly determine what a life time supply is.