RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I replied yes. I wanted to say almost because I have a lot, don’t use that much and don’t know yet when I’ll be passing to the other side. That’s why I still keep collecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I replied yes. I wanted to say almost because I have a lot, don’t use that much and don’t know yet when I’ll be passing to the other side. That’s why I still keep collecting it.
    I keep saying yes and come home with another 60# bucket of WW's and 50# bucket of assorted soft scrap lead. Along with a few small pieces of pewter. I begin to fear I may need help..... organizing and re-arranging it all.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Its an addiction! I'm in the same boat. I'm not actively looking for it anymore but when an old contact shows up with some whats a guy to do?

Boolit Buddy
    Not even close!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Thats funny...i think i have close to 3000
    What’s even funnier......I have about 2 tons to make into ingots and about 2 tons of ingots.....I still worry about running out!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny as I slide from my early 60's where there was no way I had a lifetime supply of anything, into my late 60's it is more and more becoming apparent that I do indeed have a lifetime supply of lead, powder, possibly most primers.

Of course I have been adding to that stash. Scoring 150 lbs of COWW in muffin ingots delivered to my door was a big help. As was a couple of 8 lb jugs and recently a 4 lb jug of Red Dot.

I have been eyeballing my primer use for the last year. Sitting on 2k large rifle which I think will last, same in small rifle which I doubt I'd ever use up. 2k of large pistol which I very seldom use, but keep on hand for .45acp, .45colt, and .44mag carbines.

ALso sitting on 7k of small pistol primers which is where most of my action is these days. Really enjoying the .32's. I also recently bought a Rock Island Armory Model 200 4" in .38 special which is also seeing some action.

Pretty good stash of both .22lr and .22mag.

Yeah I think I'll make it, but if it looks like I might run short I'll certainly take steps to acquire more of whatever I need. I sleep good at night, ammo table is overloaded so I started distributing it.

Boolit Master
    I have enough for myself for sure these days and I think my sons. But, I have a grandson who is really getting into casting jigs & sinkers and just starting bullets. I better keep scrounging.

Boolit Master
    I most certainly hope not , but you never know so , I'm going to keep hoarding .

Well if nothing else my dear widow can sell it and pay someone else to do yard work after I'm gone. Or I can if I reach a point where I think the lead supply will outlast me. Don't think the kids or grand kids have enough interest in casting. Might set aside a small stash of lead and appropriate mold for some firearms but essentially at best they will be reloading with what I have already cast.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I just wanted to bump this thread to keep it alive. I've always enjoyed reading the comments!

Banned
    I was on the fence until a friend built me a portable boolit trap for handguns first time out I saved over 5# of lead now to figure out a simple rifle trap with an ARsteel plate hanging backdrop to stop the boolits, a light steel surround and maybe a mudflap or ? in front to catch the splatter.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Last year I picked up #160 of actual LEAD wheel weights, which has yet to be smelted, then there's the roughly #200 of range lead which too has yet to be smelted. Now if I was to add that to what I already have smelted, then yes I would say I easily have enough. Now, that doesn't stop me from picking up more. If time permits tomorrow, before the ML shoot I'll scrounge up some more. A few pounds at a time and all of a sudden you could be looking at some tonnage! It doesn't take up much space. I just pray that I never have to move it.

Brian
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Buddy
    I figure if I don't have a lifetime supply ill have bigger fish to fry because I would be running out of retirement funds a few decades before that happens.

Boolit Master

Hard to tell if enough is enough, still got several MFRB-full (60-65lbs ea) & 2 cat-litter buckets of range scraps (75lb ea smelted ingots) on top of jars & jars of assorted CBs...yet still can't help myself lurking for deals in S&S...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Such a wide range of what is considered an adequate supply. If you're only loading for a couple large game hunting rifles, even with practice and zeroing rounds ten pounds of lead might last a few years. If you do the action shooting sports and pump thousands of rounds down range each month, a thousand pounds might barely last a single year. Throw in that metric modifier "life time", in which a thousand variables can weasel their way into the equation, and you end up trying to characterize a quantity that is different for each of us and ultimately may be impossible to predict.

The main thing I get out of reading this thread is that most of us haven't stopped gathering lead, and likely never will.

Boolit Bub
    Nice thing about getting old is a lifetimes supply of many things starts to seem reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Such a wide range of what is considered an adequate supply. If you're only loading for a couple large game hunting rifles, even with practice and zeroing rounds ten pounds of lead might last a few years. If you do the action shooting sports and pump thousands of rounds down range each month, a thousand pounds might barely last a single year. Throw in that metric modifier "life time", in which a thousand variables can weasel their way into the equation, and you end up trying to characterize a quantity that is different for each of us and ultimately may be impossible to predict.

The main thing I get out of reading this thread is that most of us haven't stopped gathering lead, and likely never will.
    You're absolutely correct. None of us know how long we have. I mostly bumped this thread up because I like hearing about everyones scores and stashes. I'm pretty sure I have a lifetime supply, no matter how long I hang around, but I still enjoy the hunt!

Boolit Master

A ton of lead is only good for 50,000 to 100,000 pistol boolits depending on the weight. For a competitive shooter that's not a lot.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    I own approximately 9000 lbs of lead.
    Unfortunately, about 8500 lbs of it is tied up in sailboat keels.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a friend (deceased) who worked in a print shop that was getting out of letter presses. Knowing that I was a fledgling bullet caster and handloader, asked if I would like some lead. I said sure. That Saturday he pulled up to my shop with 30 linotype pigs in his trunk. Sure put the squat to his springs. Long story short, he brought me over 100 pigs in the next few weeks. FREE. I reciprocated by doing the bodywork and painting his Monte Carlo. That was the best time that the sky opened up and rained good fortune all over me. Counted the other day and I still have 21 pigs. Looking back on that time, I now realize that I was shooting some very pretty, but now expensive pure linotype bullets.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast