RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Master
    just picked up 2000 pounds of pernt near pure. Indoor range lead all from factory ammo. NO ZINC. No dirt, no sand, no clay, no runs, no hits, no errors. I have taken a random sample and cast 100 maxi-balls with it and it loads like greased lightning. I will be casting into ingots for sale.

I have about 1000lbs of soft lead. Nothing to mix it with to make it hard, so at the rate I'm going I may have a lifetime supply.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My grand father had an enormous old garden tiller with enormous wheel weights. 2" thick and 14" diameter of a mystery alloy that tests a tad softer than Lyman #2. My brothers and I used up the first one on bowling pins and targets and such. I keep the remaining "cheese wheel" as backup while I use WW and range scrap from my own backstops. I still pick up every old weight I see and sinkers and plumb bobs etc. Best, Thomas.
    I almost forgot about the 200+ lbs of lead bolted to my tractor! I consider that my emergency reserves

Boolit Master

No not even close to enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Luck my eye! Most of the guys here with big stashes spent years of dedicated scrounging to do it.
    Amen! A heckuva lot of scrounging and even more picking through an eliminating not lead wheel weights. It's not even worth bothering with any more, BUT there are still lots of commercial lead sellers available. Since the last American lead smelting plant was closed a few years ago I highly recommend anyone needing lead start stocking up on it quick, lest you be like the all the whiners complaining about ammo hoarders during the last shortage.

You know you need it, now go and get it!

Boolit Master
    I’ve acquired about 1400# over the summer, separated about 1/2 of it into clip ons with no zinc, and stick ons clean. When it cools some will be melting and storing. I think I’ve got enough to make it, but I also thought I had enough money to. We’ll see.

Boolit Buddy
    As long as I die before the end of the month, I’ve got plenty of lead.

Boolit Bub
    No where near enough... I have about 300lbs pure lead, 350lbs COWW in ingots, 150lbs 50/50 mix in ingots, 150lbs of Mono Type, about 25lbs of Hard #2 and about 5 lbs of Tin. Plus a 55gal drum 3/4 full of WW unsorted. I feel like I'm about 1/2 there...
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

Boolit Master
    I most certainly hope not but I have enough for this winter .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I’ve acquired about 1400# over the summer, separated about 1/2 of it into clip ons with no zinc, and stick ons clean. When it cools some will be melting and storing. I think I’ve got enough to make it, but I also thought I had enough money to. We’ll see.
    It sounds like you had a good summer!

Boolit Grand Master

I thought about this post the other day and wondered what happened to it! I voted on the 2nd choice in the poll, that I had enough to get through to the other side. I've cast a good bit since then but I have scrounged a lot since then too. I have more than I had then!

For all of you newer guys, listen to the casters telling you to get it now. In my lifetime I have seen it go from being plentiful and cheap to hard to find and expensive. But its still out there. Networking works! Tell your friends, family and coworkers that you need lead.

Boolit Master

My slab sunk 2 inches in 5 years, I reckon that might be the lead LOL, no I have between 4 and 5 hundred lbs. not counting what's already cast. Can't have too much though!

Boolit Master
    I have Rotometals a short drive down the freeway from where I live, a metals recycler who is willing to sell or take scrap in trade for lead who is even closer, my club's berms and permission to mine them, and an arrangement with a radio isotope pharmacy that gets me regular clean hard lead scrap well above my needs. I also figure I have about ten years' alloy in hand, after which I expect that I'll slow down some (70's then). So between what I actually have and have access to, I COULD conclude I have enough.

What I did conclude is that access now does not guarantee access in the future, and that I might shoot in volume for more than ten years. I think also I need to maintain the buying of scrap from the radiopharmacy so they don't look for another buyer (sqlbullet alluded to this need to cultivate a relationship with a good source). Unfortunately I'm running short of space! I may become a vendor here to share some the wealth.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Not too sure I have a lifetime supply but I have plenty for now. I have close to 1K# in different alloys and that doesn't count for all the containers of cast bullets either.

But what Lightman said above rings true, at times it can be hard to find and at other times it just seem to practically fall in your lap.

Boolit Buddy
    I am pretty close to my Biblical allotment of "threescore and ten." I likely have enough lead to make it. "If by reason of strength they be fourscore," I will likely have to stock up if I keep shooting trapdoors, Martinis and Sniders.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I have Rotometals a short drive down the freeway from where I live, a metals recycler who is willing to sell or take scrap in trade for lead who is even closer, my club's berms and permission to mine them, and an arrangement with a radio isotope pharmacy that gets me regular clean hard lead scrap well above my needs. I also figure I have about ten years' alloy in hand, after which I expect that I'll slow down some (70's then). So between what I actually have and have access to, I COULD conclude I have enough.

What I did conclude is that access now does not guarantee access in the future, and that I might shoot in volume for more than ten years. I think also I need to maintain the buying of scrap from the radiopharmacy so they don't look for another buyer (sqlbullet alluded to this need to cultivate a relationship with a good source). Unfortunately I'm running short of space! I may become a vendor here to share some the wealth.

I would go broke if Rotometals was down the road from me! LOL Bad enough Harbor Freight is close...

Banned

I don't know how long I am going to live so I keep scrounging. I have a good supply. You guys are welcome to come over and shoot into my sand hill range backstop!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I would go broke if Rotometals was down the road from me! LOL Bad enough Harbor Freight is close...
    You got that right. I have bought alloy from them with poundage running to four figures. My old Honda sedan did NOT like hauling that home, even in split loads.

Boolit Master

Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

If I live to the next presidential election, no!
    If I die before then, yes!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yes, I believe I do...and then some.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast