Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    I thought I was doing pretty well. But after reading how this thread I have learned 2 things: 1) I don't shoot much 2) my 400ish lbs is a joke. I'm now feeling woefully inadequate.
    Five months later and I'm setting on 700+ lbs of usable lead: almost entirely range scrap. It's about 75-80% cast boolit lead. I'm feeling better. Still working on the situation though.

Boolit Master

I try to keep enough for at least 2 or 3 years of shooting at my usual rate. If for some reason I should need to be more selective on my shooting, I could probably make it last a life time. Especially at my age.

Jim
    How did you manage to move that 'brick' ? By my calculations, you had over a 4000 pound chunk there....

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    A couple years back,I came home to find a 3ftx3ft 8inch thick slab of pure lead in my driveway.<SNIP>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Can anyone say what a "lifetime" supply is? Not sure what that means. If I had 5,000 # of various material, maybe. Again, not sure.
    I call a lifetime supply is when you get close to 75 and still have a 1000 lbs. left that should do. Sprink

Boolit Mold
    I have between 1500-2000 pounds of pure lead sitting in my garage from 20 years of construction work. I also have the ability to pick up pure lead scrap from my sheet metal guy. I can pick up 100-200 pounds every few months for free. for me it's probably a lifetime supply. Now just need to learn how to alloy it for my mihac molds that are coming

Boolit Master

With my bizarre sense of humor, I can say I have a 'lifetime' supply of lead. I have approx 1000lbs of WW ingots, and about 500lbs of pure lead and approx 125lbs of linotype (expecting another 50lb in the near future), and about 100lbs of foundry type. While that may be less than 2000lbs, (here's where the bizarre sense of humor comes in...) I found out on the 19th that I have inoperable cancer, and have 6mo to 2 year life expectancy. SO, I think my lead supply counts....seriously.

Boolit Master

Mikey: Seriously, I will pray that you will be able to use up your "lifetime" supply in as much comfort as your treatment(?) will allow. God takes care of those He loves(all of us) even though we may not understand at the time.
    John
    W.TN

Mikey;
    May your last days be comfortable and shooting a lot of lead.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

I thank you all for your thoughts. The finding was incidental. I had a huge kidney stone, and the lesions on my liver showed up on the catscan, and subsequent tests told me the news. I feel perfectly well, and with the cortizone shots in my knees have really helped and has really made me feel younger. And what will I do? As I told my relatives, I intend to live until I die, emphasis on live. With the finite time I am supposed to have left, I realize that there are a lot of things yet to do. So, I am going to try and do them. Thanks again for your thoughts. mikey

Boolit Man
    I have well over half a ton of 99.5% + pure lead (Radiation shielding lead sheets). Closer to a ton. I need to work on getting tin though for hardening it. I think I should be good for a few years. Plus I can always dig the lead out of the berm and reuse.

I'm a noob of about 2 months and have about 200lbs of ingots on hand with enough solder and harder stuff to harden only about 40% of that to #2.

Boolit Buddy
    Not even close to a lifetime supply... Maybe 150 lbs. give or take.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    With my bizarre sense of humor, I can say I have a 'lifetime' supply of lead. I have approx 1000lbs of WW ingots, and about 500lbs of pure lead and approx 125lbs of linotype (expecting another 50lb in the near future), and about 100lbs of foundry type. While that may be less than 2000lbs, (here's where the bizarre sense of humor comes in...) I found out on the 19th that I have inoperable cancer, and have 6mo to 2 year life expectancy. SO, I think my lead supply counts....seriously.
    Thank you for posting this. I like your sense of humor. We have never met but with a sense of humor like yours I know we would be good friends.

Boolit Buddy

I do believe I do now that I got my Lino stash up to Doomsday capacity Finely got room to breath
    The DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    I thank you all for your thoughts. The finding was incidental. I had a huge kidney stone, and the lesions on my liver showed up on the catscan, and subsequent tests told me the news. I feel perfectly well, and with the cortizone shots in my knees have really helped and has really made me feel younger. And what will I do? As I told my relatives, I intend to live until I die, emphasis on live. With the finite time I am supposed to have left, I realize that there are a lot of things yet to do. So, I am going to try and do them. Thanks again for your thoughts. mikey
    Great attitude! We all have a finite time but most don't know when their time is coming. So live every day as if it is your last and every night as if it is your first. I hope you can shoot up all that lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Mikey, sorry to hear that kind of news! Hope you get to shoot a lot of that stash. When my time comes, I hope I can face it with the courage that you are showing. Lightman

Sad news, mikey, but I must say you seem to be handling it with great aplomb! Hearing something like that tends to make one stop and think a bit. In the meantime, keep posting as I enjoy your posts .

Boolit Buddy

Mikey: Congratulations on obtaining a lifetime supply! You are in my prayers. Best of luck on whatever is to be. You don't have anytime to feel sorry for yourself as it sounds like you have a lot of casting/shooting to do.
    Good luck to you!
    Jayhawkhuntclub

Boolit Master
    Mikey.Wishing you and yours the best in days to come.
    God bless.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkhuntclub View Post
    Mikey: Congratulations on obtaining a lifetime supply! You are in my prayers. Best of luck on whatever is to be. You don't have anytime to feel sorry for yourself as it sounds like you have a lot of casting/shooting to do.
    Good luck to you!
    Jayhawkhuntclub
    Indeed, I was casting some last evening. Not a great deal, but some. I've this new old rifle and am trying to make ammo for it. Now, if the weather would just stay the same for 3 days in a row, I can go to the range. I like to go the first 3 days, as it is almost empty, and I practically have it to myself. And I got a new-to-me pistol I'm anxious to shoot. I got it from one of the guys here on the site, Redd508. Came in today, and I brought it home. It's an H&R R73 Ultra in like new condition. Really nice gun! Look forward to shooting it. (Now, if I could only find my .32 Single Six....) What will happen will happen. I try not to dwell on it, and move forward. I had 15 years worth of projects lined up, but, I guess I'll have to pare that back a bit.... Actually, the cancer finding was a blessing, of sorts. A followup MRI of my lower back and my brain (usual migration areas) showed bleeding in my brain. Aneurysm, I believe it's called. Last Aug, I was put on warfarin to thin my blood, due to a clot. When I found out about the cancer, I stopped the warfarin, as it had many bad side effects. Last week, when they did another CT Scan about the bleeding, there was none to be seen. When I told them I quit the warfarin, the doctor was actually happy. He said the warfarin was what caused the brain bleed. BUT, not I can't take aspirin, ibuprophen or other NSAIDS, and am reduced to one type of pain reliever for my migraines, Phenegan. That and my athletic creme. So, no sudden death from the brain, but....... give and take. I am so ready for spring, and a dry range to go shooting. mikey