Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger 450/400 accuracy?

Ruger 450/400 accuracy?

Hi all.
    Last month I bought a Ruger #1 450/400. The accuracy is consistent but not stellar averaging 5 shots between 2”-3” at 100 yds. I had Tom at Accurate Molds build a 380 grain mold for it, casts and looks beautiful by the way. From 1000 to 2000 fps it shoots 2”-3” groups. Since this is my first experience with the big British Nitro Express rounds I was wondering what the accuracy potential is?

Thats about the same I am getting with mine. I am shooting a 288 grn boolit atm. Take into consideration, your shooting a heavy 40 cal bullet. So the group is not to bad to start with.

Boolit Bub
    ruger no 1's can sometimes need a bit of tweaking to get them tuned in .

are these groups with iron sights or a scope .

if they are with irons i think you are doing pretty darn good .. i hear a lot of guys say how they can shoot 1 inch groups with irons ... i am still waiting to see it happen

i cant do it , 3 inches is about the best i have ever done ..

even with a scope your on the right track and doing well i think

I’m using a scope for load development, 1“ at 50 yds is the best I can get with iron sights. I sure wish Ruger would spend a couple bucks extra and put good express sights on the big calibers. This rifle is shooting nice round groups and they are certainly adequate for hunting, I was just curious to see what everybody else was getting.

Boolit Master
    Greg there were some post on the NitroExpress site I remember seeing.

Boolit Buddy
    That grouping is not too shabby but no.1's have a patchy reputation for accuracy and generally it comes down to how the foreend is bedded and the tension of the foreend screw. There are various methods of dealing with this (if you search on google you will find links) but a neat gadget you might like to investigate is one made by EABCO which needs a little work fit.

I'll check out the Nitro Express forum and EABCO. I shouldn't complain about accuracy since this gun kicks hard enough to drive fence posts with. It makes my .416 Taylor feel like a .270

Boolit Bub
    I have a #1 in 458 Lott and shoot it with irons only. Two to three inches at 100 is plenty good for my shooting with such a heavy recoiling rifle. It is a lot of fun, though.

I agree about the express sights. I would like to see them put the kind they have on the Craig Boddington #1's on all the safari chambered #1's

Good luck witht the 450/400. It is a lovely cartridge with a lot of history behind it.

Boolit Bub
    Mine is holding the 2 to 2-1/2" mark at 100 with the 320 & 400 gr LBT so far. Their not benchrest guns, that's for sure. I have a new batch of bullets made up and will be working on it over the next couple of months. Been running the 320 at 2048avg out of it, looks good so far,some tweaking to do yet. Have to try sizing the noses to 409 and see how much springback I get. had to semi-breechseat a few that were sized to 410 and sprang back to 411-412 on the noses. Had the molds made to use 416 Gator gaschecks, been using AA5744 so far, with the LBT soft blue.

I think I can break the 2" mark at 100 with it once I get the nose sizing sorted out.
    A limbsaver pad made a HUGE difference in the comfort level of shooting it.

I really like it, Just need the time to get at it here, new lab pup to train for birds at the moment though, certainly cuts into the available time.

Search 450/400NE 3" and you should find some info.