Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: BTSniper 22 cal swage die offer

Boolit Master

While I am waiting on my dies from BT (thanks Brian for the hard work, BTW) I have a question for the creative minds among us. Has anyone tried filling the jacket with a measued volume of birdshot and seating that as a core? Seems that would make an outstanding varmint or frangible projectile.

Boolit Buddy

Probably would work ok but shot is normally coated with graphite so you may have someone chime in with the core/jacket seperation theory or the core wont spin in sequence with jacket...to me most is myth unless you are doing something seriously wrong, dont forget the bullets are .224 so your barrel is getting a good grip on the projectile as it twist it down the barrel. If it were me I would put a torch on it after a light seat then put a final core seat...Im sure some will disagree but thats my 2 cents worth

Boolit Master

Good points. Maybe its just something to try and prove out. Might work in one rifle better than another. And may be something for extra light loads as presents for the vicious groundhogs that carouse in my garden

Vendor Sponsor

Seems like I tried it at one time. I don't think I had desirable results, maybe my #6 shot was too big. Might work better with smaller shot, but i'm not going to go out and buy smaller shot. The critters will blow up just as well with the traditional soft lead cores

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Banned

soft core and nose annealing the jaxket.
    if you can get the lead right to the tip it really makes a difference.
    i was tapping a piece of soft #6 shot in the tip of the hollowpoint.
    those will launch a rock chuck about 17 different directions,and will vaporize a ground squirell at 2800 fps.

Boolit Master

BTSniper 22 cal swage die package offer

I seem to remember ammmosmith did a video on this. It helps to promote core fragmentation. I think #6 is a little large. I imagine 8 or 9 was he used. When I use my RCE dies to FMJ's, I would put 6 pellets of 9 shot in the nose and put my core in, it would give the nose more strength to prevent nose deformation, when I formed the point.
    Last edited by Lizard333; 12-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

go to youtube algunjunky and Ammosmith both talk about using birdshot as core I have done it lots of times. The most useful think I have found for birdshot cores is when making bullets using spent brass and add shot to the cores to make consistent weights. a shot core would be great in a commercial jacket but in my opinion not so great in 22lr jacketed bullets as they are pretty frangible already. if you use a soft lead for your core they pretty much blow up as the jacket is so thin already.

Boolit Master

Looks like I can take this as far as my imagination, and I have lots of time to think at work while the CNC is running. I will be submitting to yet another obcession.....

Boolit Man

BTSniper 22 cal swage die package offer

I have used bird shot many times. Good results with what I use.

I use pure lead 8 shot without graphite and have no problems. The cores hold together fine and accuracy is on par with most rounds that I used to buy. I use a graphite coating when I want serious fragmentation on target. Very similar to the old Blaser round that they sold in packs of 5 and charged out the ying yang. And I now only use graphite coating in pistol bullets just for that reason.

Vendor Sponsor

More dies off to heat treat. 122 of them to be exact (3 not pictured). Each hole you see bored in those dies is within .001 of final bullet diameter. I'll polish and lap the rest to final daimeter when they come back from heat treat. Certainly been a lot of work but I'm getting there

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

I realize the Holidays are fast approaching. I was hoping to get the complete set to all of you by now. I am sorry I will be delayed a few weeks but I am very pleased that I took the extra time needed to ensure these are the absolute best dies I can offer. I would much rather have you guys say "yeah I had to wait a little longer but the dies are perfect and amazing" rather then deliver sub par quality in a rush to you all. For making you all wait I appoligize but I can't cut corners on quality in any attempt to save time.

I also extended the intial package price offer of only ten dies to over 20 total customers that I will be delivering in the next few weeks, so I would hope some credit has to be given for doubling the number of dies in production while only delaying by a few weeks.

As you can see I have all the core swage and core seat dies going to heat treat. I completed a few of the point form dies today and mastered my technique. The results are better then any die I have made to date.

I finally had to say enough and send what I have now to heat treat so I can get your core swage dies to you or I would continue to work and add more to the stack to be treated. I have another 40-50 dies that only need a few last minute details then they will be ready for heat treat too. Like 30 more point form dies. I figure I'll have the next batch ready for heat treat a couple days after Jan 1.

It costs me a minimum of $200 for each trip to the heat treat so I'll be happy to send these 122 now and a nother 40-50 in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you all for your support and patience. I know many of you wish to shoot these bullets in my postal shoot. It is my goal to get you the dies in time to allow you to do so. I'll certainly do my best.

Good shooting, Swage On and Merry Christmas.

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

In Remembrance

Obviously, they don't do the heat treat while you wait. So, there are two round trips involved.
    THank you for the dedication and hard work that goes into the making of the die sets.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Vendor Sponsor

That would make it sound like $400 wouldn't it

Nope.... just the trip the dies make to the heat treat costs a minimum of the specified amount. Could be more this time. The most dies I ever sent at one time before was 70. I guess business is picking up
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Wow, those look nice! I'm also picturing a huge pile of chips on the shop floor!

Did I happen to see mine in there?

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! Happiness is a large pile of chips! Filled half my 30 gallon trash can with it last week.

I'm sure yours is in there

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I can sympathize. I clean up that kind of mess nightly at work. All I can say is watch out, those are little razor blades and they have no problem slicing the heck out of you! Sometimes I feel like I rolled in a cactus patch!

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    BT

They look great! Your dies are worth the wait. I know that sooner or later the big brown truck will pull up front with me dies. Your skills amaze me. Swag on, and Merry Christmas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    While I am waiting on my dies from BT (thanks Brian for the hard work, BTW) I have a question for the creative minds among us. Has anyone tried filling the jacket with a measued volume of birdshot and seating that as a core? Seems that would make an outstanding varmint or frangible projectile.
    It works just fine even with the graphite. When you compress the shot it looks just like a solid core until it hits something. The graphite coating actually helps it come apart better on impact I think. I have shot them into water filled gallon milk jugs and only a few fragments made it out the back.

Boolit Master

Cheap frangible bullets might be good for shooting at steel plates, from a safety standpoint too. less chance of a riccochet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bt sniper View Post

more dies off to heat treat. 122 of them to be exact (3 not pictured). Each hole you see bored in those dies is within .001 of final bullet diameter. I'll polish and lap the rest to final daimeter when they come back from heat treat. Certainly been a lot of work but i'm getting there

bt
    wow mom....................
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap