WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: PAST Recoil Shield

In Remembrance

PAST Recoil Shield

Well, it finally happened...I managed to get out an shoot some .45/90 loads, for the first time this spring.
    The charge was 80 grains of GOEX Certridge under 560 grain PJ Creedmoor bullets.
    This load has shown promise in the past, but something (like a Chrony glitch) always happened that made me think it needed more testing before deciding to trust it as a 'good load'.

The object, this time, was to compare wiping between shots with the blow tube, and see what the target and the Chrony had to say about the two fouling control measures.
    The Chrony basically said, "No difference". Extreme Spread was 15 with the wiping, and 20 with the tube...and the SD's were 7.8 and 8.4, respectively.

The targets were strange, in a way.

Five rounds 'wiped' left a vertical group .5" wide by 2.25" high. Five rounds BT'd made an identical group, but it was turned 90 degrees to the left...making it a horizontal group. The two are so similar, the holes almost match up when the targets are laid one over the other.

So, with everything being so 'similar', I began to wonder what made one horizontal and the other vertical. I decided it must have been what I was wearing.

For the tall group, I had on a jacket and nothing else. (Well, not NOTHING else, but you know what I mean.) I decided to shoot 'naked' to see if my mercury recoil suppressor was efficient enough to make that possible.
    Since my jacket was slick nylon and the buttplate is smooth steel, I think slippage caused the vertical stringing...since there was no velocity variation to cause it.

For the wide group, I had donned my PAST pad. It absolutely prevents discomfort, but it's a hard substance that doesn't 'cradle' the butt like meat does.
    I also noticed, (as in the past) that the barrel migrates to the right (on the sandbag) as successive shots are fired. I think this is an indication that the gun is not recoiling straight back, and makes me think the butt is slipping sideways on the hard shoulder pad. That would explain horizontal groups, which I have seen fairly regularly in earlier sessions.

Now, I'm not actually looking for recommendations for other pads - although you can feel free to voice your preferences.
    Instead, what I'd like to know is if anybody has found a good way to 'soften up' the material in the PAST devices...'cuz mine could certainly stand it.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-18-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    CM,

Just thinking out loud, but what about sewing a patch of material the same size as the recoil pad onto the front side of it, on 3 sides, and then slipping a 1" thick slab of "memory foam" into the pocket that you have created?
    I found one site (www.foamorder.com) that sells custom cut chunks. I got a quote for a piece that was 10"x10"x1" = $3.65 + shipping. You might even get away with just ordering a sample...

Just an idea...

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Charlie ,
    I found if you wear it next to your skin when its cold it softens and creates a pocket for the rifle at matches I put it on in the morning when I get up and leave it on .in the summer it dont matter , when I shoot at home I put it on before driving to the range ..5 mi this seems to soften it as well ..otherwise it is a board..
    Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

In Remembrance
    Thanks, Dean. I might try playing with a mild heat-producing device to see how the material is affected. Would like to find a way to make it 'permanently' softer without ruining it.

I was thinking about punching a pattern of small holes through it to reduce the overall mass...thereby allowing it to 'give' more without actually changing the material (whatever it is).

Don,
    My pad is already thicker than it needs to be (wish I had bought a thinner one), and if I pack another inch in front of it I'm gonna have to get my stock shortened. But I do have a sample of that Tempurpedic stuff, and you gave me an idea...
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-18-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Past Magnum recoil shield. I always have some sort of jacket worn under the pad, which seems to minimize slipping, but I still have to "rearrange" it every few shots. I originally bought it for use when shooting my .338 magnums from the bench, but now wear it with anything over .308 Winchester. The only damage I can't seem to avoid is my own thumbnail scratching my face in recoil while shooting heavy 250 to 300 gr. jacketed bullets.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

When I was shooting BPCR-Sil extensively, I used a Rand Elite (still have it) and was pretty happy with it.

However, if I had it to do over again, I would replace that steel buttplate with a GOOD recoil pad. I let esthetics keep me from doing that and I have to say I believe that I made a mistake. Function over form anytime and everytime.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I can only agree - all my BP rifles (except for the antiques, of course) wear a nice rubber recoil pad. I can shoot them all day long without any discomfort or buttplate slipping. Of course, since I am shooting british-style rifles, I chose a red english-style recoil pad

Boolit Man
    Central western Virginia where I 77 & I 81 come together

Recoil pads

Some of you guys send me some information or where to obtain it on the various recoil pads.
    All PM appreciated
    life is short & that 45/90 is working on my shoulder
    jerrold

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I would replace that steel buttplate with a GOOD recoil pad.
    I am also a slave to esthetics, Dale.
    I would (probably) not be so hesitant to install a rubber recoil pad if it was a shotgun butt. It would be easy to do the fitting, and could be switched back and forth.

However, mine is the military stock with the cresent-shaped buttplate. Not the easiest thing to find a pad for. However, I have been eyeing the after-market accessory recoil pad on my Ruger 10-22. I appears that (with some carving on the rubber) it might be made to fit...and provide a bit longer LOP, which could be useful.

With luck, it might not even look too bad...

Quote Originally Posted by jerrold View Post
    Some of you guys send me some information or where to obtain it on the various recoil pads.
    Midway (midwayusa.com) has the PAST shoulder pads. I bought the half-inch thick 'Magnum' model, and wish I had got a thinner one.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-19-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My 45-70 Rolling Block with crescent steel buttplate wears a Kick Killer slip on Velcro fastened recoil pad. I can shoot 535gr Postells with 70gr loads all day with no ill effects. The product works well.

Charlie

Boolit Buddy
    All the "Big Bores" I have had built on original RB receivers have a Decelerator pad installed on Treebone wood. So far nothing is too uncomfortable. But my 50-90 weighs 16+ pounds.
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Master
    Past life indescretions have left my bones and protoplasm so racked with aches and pains that I also have purchased Past shoulder bra(s). It works, it helps. I agree with the rest of you though. If you choose to go that route, buy the lite, regular, and magnum versions. You just might find that different versions work with different firearms. It has for me. And it is basically a one-time purchase. Not bad for some added protection to the weary old bones.........Lee

Boolit Man
    Central western Virginia where I 77 & I 81 come together

Recoil pads

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I am also a slave to esthetics, Dale.
    I would (probably) not be so hesitant to install a rubber recoil pad if it was a shotgun butt. It would be easy to do the fitting, and could be switched back and forth.

However, mine is the military stock with the cresent-shaped buttplate. Not the easiest thing to find a pad for. However, I have been eyeing the after-market accessory recoil pad on my Ruger 10-22. I appears that (with some carving on the rubber) it might be made to fit...and provide a bit longer LOP, which could be useful.

With luck, it might not even look too bad...

Midway (midwayusa.com) has the PAST shoulder pads. I bought the half-inch thick 'Magnum' model, and wish I had got a thinner one.
    CM
    Ordered the reg. model today
    life is short
    jerrold

Boolit Master

Since you are prepared to modify your shield, without adding a lot of bulk, give this stuff a try: http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=701

It's the pebble textured rubber used on shooting mats and jackets.

Ken

Sorry, apparently you can't get into the site without signing the disclaimer. Once you're in, search item 701.
    Last edited by monadnock#5; 04-22-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: better directions

Boolit Grand Master

"Limb saver" recoil pads are highly recommended. However, they get rather "gummy" when sanding to fit the stock. It is a bit hard to get a good finish on them.

My first choice is a Packmayr Recoil pads seem much easier to finish to fit. They also give good recoil reduction (of course, this is the most important part).

I cannot overemphasize how much I wish that I had put a good recoil pad on ALL of my modern Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. If anybody cares, I would recommend that you size the length of pull for your best choice offhand, using a proper recoil pad. Then, you could use a slip on pad or a Past or Elite Shoulder harness to add the needed extra length when shooting prone. That way you would have the best of both worlds. Offhand on the chickens is the most difficult and you need to have the rifle FIT for offhand. Then the rest pretty much takes care of itself.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Past shields are harder in cold weather and get softer in warm weather. As far as crescent shaped butts... I wanted to tame a Buffalo Classic so I put a Pachmayr slip-on leather pad on and filled in the gap in the middle with some foam padding. The leather pad looks okay on this type of rifle and my shoulder is happier. Coupled with a Past shield I can handle about all the "stomp" the gun can deliver.