Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 500 Round Cast Bullet Test

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I wonder if the new 270 mold will cause them to stock push through sizers for 270 caliber...
    I bought a lee 244 die & had a machinist friend open it for me to 0.279". I am running the Noe 126gr, PC, @ 2000fps. Buckshot here will make you a lee sizer for about $35.
    My first test are yielding 1 1/2" 3 shot groups @ 50yds. No gc, so hopefully the PC is doing its job. More tinkering to see if I can tighten groups a bit. I am using water dropped clip ww.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Those of you shooting boolits in AR's, do you find any more lead or fouling getting into the gas tube than usual?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Those of you shooting boolits in AR's, do you find any more lead or fouling getting into the gas tube than usual?
    When I ran the 500 round test I did have some build up in the bolt carrier key but nothing that a little cleaning up couldn't fix.
    New Bolt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoltNew.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	146506

Bolt at 100 Rounds

Name:	Bolt100rounds.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	146505

Bolt at 250 Rounds

Name:	Bolt250rounds.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	146507

Bolt at 500 Rounds

Name:	500roundsbolt3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	146509

Bolt and Carrier Key

Name:	DirtyBolt.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	146508

Most of the crud appeared to be case lube from the Lee lube I had used on the case and failed to clean off properly.
    Last edited by oldsgm; 08-12-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Looks like you have a winner!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    I just finished a test with the 1:14 barrel Green Mountain furnished me

This is at 50 yards shooting from a rest, with a 4 power scope. Bullet is the RCBS cast 55 Grain spire point over 20 grains of WW748

Name:	55 grain cast.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	146644

This is the Midsouth Bater bullet over the same load.

Name:	Bater Target.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	146645

I believe I will continue working with the Bater to see if I can get it to feed properly. It was the most accurate of all the loads I tested today.

I've had excellent results with H-4198, AA Lt32 or Rl7 in 5.56mm AR-15's. I switched to AA LT-32 from H-4198 to get a shorter stick powder that wound meter better. I prefer the stick powders over the ball powder in an AR-15. Jacketed or cast so that is that. I do not get any leading in any of my cast bullet rifles after I find a load to use. The CZ-527 similar to my avatar in 222 Rem has not been cleaned down the bore in over 500 rounds. I've never in my life run a jacketed bullet barrel that long between cleaning copper fouling. I have an old Colt SP-1 with 12 twist barrel and NATO chamber. Shot about two hundred cast bullets down the tube a few years back. Better accuracy at 100 yards than M-193. It was all what would be called slow fire on the national match course. Rifle was cleaner after I was finished shooting than before I started. 14.5gr H-4198 under a Lyman #225646 at 60 grains. Home made lube. Lars white label sells as good a lube also.

I've also run a bunch of cast through my DPMS upper with 9 twist SAMI chamber. Never saw any lead in it at all. But then I always slow fired. Same 14.5gr of H-4198.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Sounds great, my next purchase is going to be an AR of some sort. Probably the Ruger AR-556 or Palmetto 9mm upper and lower.

Interestingly enough, I strongly prefer the old school carry handle rear sight, fixed position M16 style stock, and 20 round straight mags like my dad used in his Army days. I have no (as in 30 inches of vacuum zero) interest in optical sights, picatinny rails, 30 pounds of electronic gizmos covering a rifle like barnacles, or 200 round drum mags. I don't own any "tactical vests", 5.11 pants, or night vision. I just really admire the milspec M16 and variants, a true American original.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone ever tried lightning a M4 buffer and cutting back the mainspring to fire lower pressure cast rounds?

Boolit Buddy
    Shastaboat I've been thinking about that for a while , maybe stretch and cut a spring to make it softer ? and drilling the buffer to lighten it. Any pros out there to give input?

CC

Banned

[shrug]
    I just put more powder in the case.
    22.5 grs of 4895 works the rifle every time without fail just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
    Shastaboat I've been thinking about that for a while , maybe stretch and cut a spring to make it softer ? and drilling the buffer to lighten it. Any pros out there to give input?

CC
    Wolff makes a reduced power recoil spring. I played with one for cycling subsonic .300 blackouts.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    The reason I would want to reduce the spring and buffer weight is to be able to shoot a 55 grn. at a speed that is slower so it would not over stabilize in a 1:7 twist bbl. yet still cycle the bolt.

Thanks CC

Quote Originally Posted by GT27 View Post
    Thanks for posting this,seems after searching for a week for definitive answers,only speculation,and opinions at best, I finally see some "light at the tunnel"! If you have anymore proven loads using the Bator or the 55 Rem spire please post them ! I wish I could see your detailed version on this subject! I was beginning to think I was the only one on earth that was interested in doing using cast with the AR! GT27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

The ultimate AR torture test!
    Awesome

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    [shrug]
    I just put more powder in the case.
    22.5 grs of 4895 works the rifle every time without fail just fine.
    What boolit?

Boolit Mold
    Well I tried cutting down a mil spec spring and lightening the buffer. It didn't work for me. With that said the Lee 55 gr 6 cavity mold shoots very well for me in my bolt guns at 2000 fps. 10 gr of 2400 was the load I tried. Works great on jackrabbits. I will probably try some 18 gr of 4895 or H335 to see if they can cycle the action. Another suggestion is to open up the gas port in the barrel and use an adjustable gas block.

That was a very interesting read. I was going to try cast boolits in a 5.56mm vz-58 I had a few years ago, but lost many of the projos in an unfortunate move, and ended up having to sell the rifle before I really got going. Now what I am interested in, is the feeding of that Lee 55gr boolit. I would love to know if the Lee boolit is feeding well in semi auto rifles as I may try this bullet, powder coated, in my CZ BREN 805. Since I am perpetually cheap, (except for the rifle), I am starting with the Lee mold, sizer and Hornaday gas checks, sized to .225. I wouldn't mind the RCBS one, but the cost of the mold is too high for this state slave
    Thoughts or opinions? Thank you for any positive reply.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    That was a very interesting read. I was going to try cast boolits in a 5.56mm vz-58 I had a few years ago, but lost many of the projos in an unfortunate move, and ended up having to sell the rifle before I really got going. Now what I am interested in, is the feeding of that Lee 55gr boolit. I would love to know if the Lee boolit is feeding well in semi auto rifles as I may try this bullet, powder coated, in my CZ BREN 805. Since I am perpetually cheap, (except for the rifle), I am starting with the Lee mold, sizer and Hornaday gas checks, sized to .225. I wouldn't mind the RCBS one, but the cost of the mold is too high for this state slave
    Thoughts or opinions? Thank you for any positive reply.
    Buy the NOE 225-55 . For the same price as the RCBS and handles you get a premium mould that weighs half as much makes twice as many bullets per pour and fits Lee handles . It feeds in M4 GI ARs and works well in 80s vintage 222 also . Of course the 6 cavity Lee is $40 less .......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

That looks great...but finances are always at the forefront.... Lee might be the answer I'm looking for UNTIL I can afford another NOE mold. I have one, but lucked into it at a killer price.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I understand 100% . Maybe more . I recently bought a Lyman single over the NOE RG4 because it was exactly the mould I wanted AND it was on sale .......Damned if a week later the NOE wasn't on sale ....... Story of my life .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

missed the question before.

the rcbs 0-55s I slightly modified it's nose with a lap.
    then went to the HM-2 mold I designed for their group buy a few years back.
    [I have only seen 1 of them {unused} for sale since then]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast