Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 500 Round Cast Bullet Test

Banned

I'm not trying to be an expert I'm trying to help you learn the necessary steps to make what YOU want happen.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...city-with-cast
    here is a thread that MIGHT give you some ideas about what you may need to get it done.
    sorry I just happen to be the one that started it.

Banned

I think it get's censored sometimes.
    I just go with whichever one I type. [shrug]

look
    I use no fancy anything, I don't even own an M-type die.
    I even load some of my cast rifle stuff on a Dillon 550, which has to be the wrong way to do it I'm told.
    and I sure as heck ain't gonna spend money on a fancy die set unless it's the only one I can get.

the mold maker I showed sent me the program and asked me to design some boolits for him, another asked about it and I send him designs too when he asks.
    I don't go around looking to stick my nose into things, they asked me to do it for some reason unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    no it's measured from my chronograph.
    and it is with a cast boolit.

I don't do load book regurgitation I test my stuff with my guns and my loads.
    I rarely share my loads on any website because they are not listed in a manual anywhere they are true H/V cast boolit loads.
    there are NO books with this data in them.

if you don't want any help from someone that has done this already .......... never mind.
    this is why there won't be an AR sub-forum here.
    So just because you and someone else can't play nice there is to be no AR sub forum? Sounds like Obama Democrat logic to me.

Boolit Mold arunninghorsegoeswild's Avatar
    again what I HAS happened.
    Did you see the 110 yard target I posted??
    I was mearly posting data related to SUCESSFUL outcomes of various powders.
    You seem to be under the assumption I have hit a road.block.
    Really 18 months ago I was there but now.
    I'm on my seventh powder test with a diffrent powder.
    I AM getting very very accurate results.
    in fact better than I expected.
    So I have posted and will post the simple grain weights of various powders I used to get the results.
    The target was 20 grains of H 4895 behind my cat boolit with my home made gas checks on a gas check Die I made.
    The flyaways on the target where definatley ME.
    Not load or boolits.
    I knew when firing those would be misses as I was off.
    Again Im not sure your angle.
    A simpler " hey you ever try X Y or Z?"
    would have worked wonders as Im not against advice.
    But you started with Your getting X FPS know.how.I.know?? Just ask.me..."
    Seriously your people skills suck
    So replied in the same.D#%& head vane.
    but again I am happy with my results so far VERY Happy. didn't think they.would be as accurate.
    and the answr to the question asked 1/2 dozen posts ago is NO I.don't know the FPS.
    I could assume but that would be holy inaccurate

Banned

not because of just us two.
    but for pretty much the same reason.

my people skills do suck.
    sorry.

Might want to shut the whole forum down then, there could be disagreements and discussion. Maybe someday we will get a mod with better people skills and smaller ego and get an AR subforum then.....

Banned

maybe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    You don't by any chance have a Chrony so that you know what speed those are going?? Or have access to 1...
    Quote Originally Posted by arunninghorsegoeswild View Post
    No I don't mind sharing load data.
    First I have no way yo measure FPS sadly.
    As for load data I am using 19gr 4895 in these loads.
    Not trying to speak for arunning horse, but 18gr H4895 runs just shy of 1900 FPS in my 20 inch AR across my chrono at about 10 feet from the muzzle. IMR runs just a tad slower (50 FPS or so) for the same charge.

I really need to get off my backside and get some of these copper enhanced tic tacs loaded and see how they do.

Boolit Grand Master
    After reading it several times, I find it amazing that someone considered someone else's first post here in response to the topic insulting when there wasn't nothing but advice given, with nary an insult anywhere to be found in said "first post." I looked. Repeatedly.

But I do notice some can go from zero to 300 in terms of unfounded irritation at the drop of a hat.

It needs to be acknowledged we have some very experienced members here with the topic at hand........and somebody (won't say who) just met one of them via text. Sorry you are now so incensed you will not be acknowledging that......so I'll do it for you as a sort of service.

Putting all further information in the "ignore" category is that person's loss. Just the way it is.

Great post! Thanks
    Last edited by Garyshome; 07-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I do not understand the "these are my toys I am leaving so you can't play with them" attitude in here. The AR sub forum would make it so much easier to find this information instead of having to search for it. I try to find AR threads but when they are scattered across 3-4 forums it is hard to read them all.

Boolit Master

I too would like to see an AR Subforum. There are many of us on this forum who have to drive an hour each way to shoot. I dearly wish I could shoot out of my back yard but alas that is not in the cards. So people who are able to put many rounds down range versus people like me with limited resources can be a great help to others. Do I want someone to do all the work for me. Heck no, but I am grateful for any help that can narrow my research down so that my valued range time can be more profitable. Thanks Guys and Girls for all your shared advice.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Mold arunninghorsegoeswild's Avatar
    Thats what I was thinking I would try and do.
    I am working through the "Common " used powders for the .223 and will as I do them post were I started and where I ended up for final load.
    I will not have FPS as it simply isn't in the cards to buy a Chrono.
    I am blessed that I own land here in Maine and testing literally takes walking out the back door.
    However there is a local ( meaning 30 miles away ) gun club and perhaps I will go measure the FPS in the spring.
    But that measurement will be my loads, my weapon, My bullets and will most likely vary with your weapon, your bullets, and your loads.
    But I thought a simple load chart would need this eventualy and in this vain I will eventually get that.
    BUT it's too easy for me to go outside and shoot and establish safe, reliable, cheap accurate plinking rounds with the everyday available dies, lead/wheelweight/linotype and powder.
    I like most wasn't concerned with availability of this round and so I reloaded but did not cast for it as it was cheap and in abundance.
    However we all can see that can be easily manipulated by gov officials and knee jerk reactions.
    To my friend whome I debated I am sorry.
    But I tell everyone
    theres a reason I live WAY out in the woods.
    My people skills suck to say the least...

I really liked the discussion until it became a pissing contest. Not sure why it went wrong, but glad the vitriol seems to have dropped off.

I'm interested in following runninghorsegoeswild's results. I'm equally interested in the results posted by runfiverun. I see no reason to not benefit from the work of both.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I do not understand the "these are my toys I am leaving so you can't play with them" attitude in here. The AR sub forum would make it so much easier to find this information instead of having to search for it. I try to find AR threads but when they are scattered across 3-4 forums it is hard to read them all.
    My issue is the scattering you mentioned. I am for improvement whether it means an AR sub forum or some other idea. At least a discussion and some consideration. Instead of the "Ain't Going to Happen".

I would agree with an AR forum as its the only thing i can see reasonable to reload at the moment. Pistol powder is like unicorns, i was told it exists but i havent seen them yet! All this information is, like MaryB stated, scattered like a sawed off shotgun! Consolidation would be user friendly for all that have an AR!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Well said pretzelxx. I second that.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Banned
    AR sub forum, YES!

without it someone is prejudice against AR'S

I'm interested in following runninghorsegoeswild's results. I'm equally interested in the results posted by runfiverun. I see no reason to not benefit from the work of both
    I'll second that.

It seems to me Cast Boolits could benefit from an AR sub-forum. It certainly won't make Cast Boolits worse. Come on Moderators, give it some serious thought. Ask members for a list of pros and cons and put it to the vote or something. This is one of the worlds best gun related forums, why not make it even better?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I now have a RCB 505796 55gr. ,.224, Spire point mold(22-55-SP) ,Lee .225 sizer and have been power coating 9 mm pistol boolits with very good results . Man these are by far the smallest Boolits I have ever cast ,seems strange having the RCBS Pro Melt pot level drop faster due to the spruce slugs than the actual boolits cast.
    Wish me luck and if anyone has a low end H355 load that will cycle the LE 6920 Colt ( 16" 1:7 twist) I would really appreciate it

Edit: I loaded a few dummy rounds to check AOL and it looks like i need to use 2.110" AOL o prevent this boolit from engaging the rifling and being partly pulled from the case during Dry cycling. I have been using 2.220" with the Hornady FMJ 55 gr.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-29-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast