MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 500 Round Cast Bullet Test

Boolit Buddy
    i started powder coating .224 rcbs and have found two loads that function in my AR. they drop at 60 gr and i use TAC and H4895 not super accurate but function and i dont have to use gas checks. i wish i had a chrono. poss going over 2500fps? this is a piston upper.
    Last edited by 3006mv; 11-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    Now that I am a powder coat convert I don't worry about no gumming up an AR gas tube anymore. Not that I worried about it anyway.
    Hamish, you going to spill those beans before I sell those .223's.

Btw, the AR15 is not a military rifle. What's this doing here? This should be in the factory rifle section.
    Last edited by xacex; 11-16-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Boolit Mold arunninghorsegoeswild's Avatar
    Hey All,
    *** here. I have cast for 45 cal and my 7.62 x 39 I use a british .312 die and size em down to .311. Recently I bought as the article states FOR GOOD money an RCBS 55 grain .225 cal die. It casts nice looking BOOLITS that I resize to .224 through a Lee resizing die to shoot through my AR. They have had ZERO functionality issues I.E. loading and cycling through my weapon, BUT the accuracy is pretty dam lousy. Currently I am loading with H4198 and at 25 yards I get nice little groups TWENTY FIVE YARDS?? I'm like whats the matter is my weapon too big Maybe I'm not used to such a big tool.... Kidding seriously folks it appears that they ( for lack of a better term ) Slice much like a golf ball. his is a new AR build with the better of the Stoner barrels chrome lined etc. Very accurate with factory loads and factory BOOLITS, But it seems the cast is after twenty five yards of flight time slicing off high and right?? ANy suggestions?? I am using Aluminum gas checks maybe copper is heavier and gives more tail weight??? OOPS I forgot the closest I can get to 55 grains consistently with wheelweight/linotype mixture is actually 57 grain but consistent.
    Last edited by arunninghorsegoeswild; 12-07-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: adding actual grain weight

Quote Originally Posted by arunninghorsegoeswild View Post
    Hey All,
    *** here. I have cast for 45 cal and my 7.62 x 39 I use a british .312 die and size em down to .311. Recently I bought as the article states FOR GOOD money an RCBS 55 grain .225 cal die. It casts nice looking BOOLITS that I resize to .224 through a Lee resizing die to shoot through my AR. They have had ZERO functionality issues I.E. loading and cycling through my weapon, BUT the accuracy is pretty dam lousy. Currently I am loading with H4198 and at 25 yards I get nice little groups TWENTY FIVE YARDS?? I'm like whats the matter is my weapon too big Maybe I'm not used to such a big tool.... Kidding seriously folks it appears that they ( for lack of a better term ) Slice much like a golf ball. his is a new AR build with the better of the Stoner barrels chrome lined etc. Very accurate with factory loads and factory BOOLITS, But it seems the cast is after twenty five yards of flight time slicing off high and right?? ANy suggestions?? I am using Aluminum gas checks maybe copper is heavier and gives more tail weight??? OOPS I forgot the closest I can get to 55 grains consistently with wheelweight/linotype mixture is actually 57 grain but consistent.
    Try using the .225 sizing die and try using some copper GC's that are a crimp on design; either Hornady or Gator
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Thanks Wayne The .225 wont lead foul?? That is the size they are cast .225. You think if I leave that extra thousands of an inch I will get better gas pressure and therefore better spin?? I did forget to mention it's a 1:9 twist, BUT Sounds good I'll have to give it a whirl. I thought the gas check might also be an issue as they don't crimp on. the die an RCBS makes pretty good Boolits but somehow not as nice as me Lee molds??

Boolit Grand Master

The "slice" as range increases is caused from too much RPM, it is call non-linear expansion. Only by reducing the load (you don't say what it is or the velocity) to just at functional reliability will get better accuracy. Sizing larger will also help as will using a slower burning powder such as 4895 or Varget. For best accuracy your loads should be in the 1800 - 2000 fps range.

Larry Gibson

Thanks Larry, GREAT INFO!! I currently have no way to measure FPS at the moment. I will try out a slower powder. That powder I listed I use as it loads well ( for me ) across several Cal of weapons I currently own.
    I'm cheap and use basically one powder for my .40 and .45 loads for pistols, and different powder for my rifle loads.
    This coming weekend I hope to have time to do more tests.
    I believe a friend of mine has a .225 sizing die as the only sizing die I have is the 244. As I mentioned I cast em at .225 and size them down. I ordered some Hornady gas checks that are copper and crimp on from Ebay so I guess the tests will be postponed till they arrive as well.
    I truly appreciate the expert advice and will apply both yours and Wayne suggestions in my next tests and will keep you all posted of the results.

Boolit Grand Master

If you find any 4895 or Varget start at 14 gr and work up to 20 gr. Use a Dacron filler. As stated your best accuracy will probably be at or just above functional reliability. We all like to get the most "bang" out of our $s but many times "cheap" doesn't work.

Larry Gibson

Will Do Larry, Funny how true it is that cheap doesn't always work. Nothing worthwhile comes easy, but I am sure with the expert help of folks like you and steady attempts on my part you can drag my sorry butt to a point where I might get a few in the ring!!
    Thanks again and I will keep you posted....

Well fellas I finally had time to do some more testing.
    You know the Holidays!!
    Anyway we have had a lot of snow and ice as many folks so these are still short range tests 40 yards
    I switched to Gator gas checks which crimp on.
    I didn't have a chance to get to the local ( 60 miles away ) gun shop to get different powder and am too cheap to pay that hazard fee for shipping so it is still with the 4198 which I can see it too fast of a powder for my app.
    I sized them a per rec to . 225 instead of . 224 and cut my charge back drastically.
    I was using dippers and had an old scale in the closet I dug out.
    The rec dipper for the weight was 1.39cc. According to the immortal Mr Lee.
    I weighed that it weighed in at almost 19gr.
    I tried the 1cc dipper and weighed that it weighed in at about 12 gr. I loaded up two sets of test groups.
    As I still had some .224 sized boolits I loaded up six with the single cc and the gator gas checks, then I loaded up six .225 sized also with the gator checks and the single cc.
    I put one round of each in individual mags as I wasn't sure how the lesser charge would cycle through my weapon??
    I fired the .224 first at a single piece of 4" pine board sticking up out of the snow at 40 yards and got a good centered hit!!!
    However the load was too light to cycle the bolt back enough to lock open from the empty mag
    I droped out that mag and loaded the .225 sized die single round test mag.
    Fired my shot
    Impacted about 3/8ths on an inch from the firat round test.
    Also did not lock the bolt open.
    So I loaded up each mag in two more tests to see if the bolt was carried back far enough to fire multiple shots.
    I had two rounds in each and it cycled through
    Both rounds on both mags well just no bolt lock open.
    Then I speed fired the finals to just empty the cases.
    Back to the drawing board.
    I made several more test groups increasing my powder a gr at a time.
    Well after much wind from my pie hole I had success!!!
    It settled in nicely with 14gr tight groups of 1/4 to 3/8ths inch spacing, and the weapon cycled fine including a good solid ( you could feel it like you should ) bolt lock open at the end of each mag.
    Eventually I cut that 14 gr back to 13.5 gr and it seemed to function well.
    I'll keep you posted if your interested of when I switch powders.
    Sorry for the long post Im new to these types of things Ill try and cut my blathering in subsequent posts.

Boolit Grand Master

You "blathered" well! Keep it up.

Larry Gibson

Hahahhaa Larry I love it!!!

Oldsgm, excellent write up. Thanks for posting may have to give your test a try in my AR.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes Gents! Nice "blathering". I picked up a 223 mold in a group buy last fall and hopefully in the next couple months I'll punch some paper.

Boolit Master

That kind of blather is good fodder for those that follow you.

I currently cast Lyman 55gr SPGC, use a Lee .224 sizer, tumble lube and put 19.5 grains of Varget behind it for my AR. I have put ~200 rounds through without any issues. My brothers were in town this past weekend and they tried some out as well. Accuracy was decent, all inside a pie plate at 100 yards so good enough for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Nice thread,
    I thought I'd bump this up, due to the recent Poll on adding a AR subforum.

IMHO, we'd need lots more threads like this to make "AR" worthy of having it's own sub-forum.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

*** here again.
    Well after the season ( or I should say warm months )
    I have had much sucess with my casts.
    I did change one other thing. I am sizing at .225
    now for a better seal.
    I have been getting very very accurate groups and zero functionality issues.
    Been using 4895 as Varget is nowhere to be found around here.
    At the moment I have cycled over 1, 000 rounds and still counting.
    The photo is 110 yards.
    the flyaways are my fault not the ammo....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1414347225657.jpg  

In Remembrance
    You don't by any chance have a Chrony so that you know what speed those are going?? Or have access to 1...
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

Do you mind saying how much 4895?
    Thanks
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast