Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Converting Vetterli to centerfire

Boolit Master

Converting Vetterli to centerfire

I have always liked the Vetterli rifles, and I prefer the Swiss to the Italian, but no one I know anywhere near here knows how to convert one from rimfire to centerfire, I see that Buffalo Arms is selling everything from brass, dies and even moulds, but before I decide to buy a rifle I have had a hard time trying to find someone who can convert the gun. I really would like to use one at our blackpowder cartridge matches which is more informal than anything else since a Sharps would be way out of my price range. Does anyone know a gunsmith that can do the conversions on one of these rifles?
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    Very simple job! I converted one using an RCBS primer decapper replacement pin. The one with the lump on the end of the pin. Worked great and just the right length and the pin tip is already rounded for the fireing pin. Just drill a hole in the bolt head and insert the decapping pin, of course you have to remove the dual fireing pin tip. Best regards, the toolman.

Boolit Master

Most folks seem to be doing their own conversions.
    There are several ways to do the conversion.
    This is one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21917

I have seen others make a firing pin retainer from a piece of nylon wire tie or other plastic material.
    One way seems to work about as well as another.
    You will need to be careful to drill the firing pin hole in the center of the bolt, but that can be done with a hand drill.

Jack

I am going to convert my gun soon since I want to shoot it, but finding brass to convert is daunting.

Boolit Master

I see some brass listed on gunbroker.

Jack

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I had my gunsmith do it, but it's a simple enough job. See http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/centerfire/. Unfortunately his pictures are down now, but if you email parashooter if he's still around, I'm sure he'd update.

Basically, drill the bolt for the firing pin, cut off the rimfire pins on the firing pin, drill a hole through the center of the firing pin, counter sink the base, drop an RCBS decapper pin through so that the shoulder is retained by the coutnersunk hole, and trim to length for protrusion. 10 minutes work with a drill press.

I know you can make the brass from 8mm Lebel, but all of mine is made from 348 Winchester. Midway carries it, and it's one of the few things that are "available" these days!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/738...ster-box-of-50

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!