Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Which press do you use to swage ?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • RC

34 9.69%
  • RC2

23 6.55%
  • RC surpreme

16 4.56%
  • Lee Classic cast

59 16.81%
  • Real swage press(Corbin ect)

128 36.47%
  • Other

91 25.93%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What press do you use to swage ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiv View Post
    Anybody else use a Redding Ultra Mag?

I bought one years ago, figuring I wouldn't live long enough to ever receive a Corbin press.

Although I've never use the Redding for swaging, it's handled sizing and loading every large cartridge I shoot.

Kiv
    Just started making some swaging dies, but plan on using my Ultra Mag until I might build the "lets build a swage press".

Ken

Boolit Bub
    Dave Corbin CSP1 and I just ordered a U.P. North Swage and Reloading Press with a few modifications to it. Can't wait to get it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ith-auto-eject

Boolit Man

Use both RC and Corbin..they each have their niche

Boolit Buddy
    I don't understand why more of you aren't using CH-4D's Champion Swaging Press. It is so robust, there is nothing that you will be shooting that you can't make on it, and the price is excellent. It comes with an unconditional guarantee, as long as you don't use an extension bar on the handle. Check it out.

Boolit Master
    Dave Corbin CSP1 44mag base guard or GC boolits with Round or SWC whatever weight I wish.
    My SS Dan Wesson 44mag throats use to be .427 and did not shoot worth a hoot until I read about cylinder throat size.
    Bought a throat reamer from Brownell the groups went from 12"+ down to 1.25 or smaller for five shots at 25 yards open sights.
    Haven’t tried the Base Guard boolits in it since to see if they quit leading the barrel.
    Use to pull streaks of lead out of the barrel after 6 shots.
    Last edited by Swede44mag; 12-02-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    NRA Life Member

Herter's model 3 one at a time works great

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggist View Post
    I don't understand why more of you aren't using CH-4D's Champion Swaging Press. It is so robust, there is nothing that you will be shooting that you can't make on it, and the price is excellent. It comes with an unconditional guarantee, as long as you don't use an extension bar on the handle. Check it out.
    I'm wondering the same thing. Has anyone tried the CH4D Champion (not the 444 Champ)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-04-08 13.05.12.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	93097 This is a pic of the hydraulic press that I made (and now sell) because the walnut hill knock off from H-G Firearms I bought is a real piece of ****. Broke the welds on the ears off doing .45's. Plus the fact that the hydraulic does not get tired!

Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Has anyone tried the CH4D Champion (not the 444 Champ)?
    I would like to hear about that too. It's $320 for the Champion press and $449 for Richard Corbin's WH press. Depending on what you're going to do, dropping the extra $129 is worth it, I think. The Walnut Hill press is a true bullet making press. For leverage, it has a huge mechanical advantage over the Rockchucker and is much less tiring to operate. I suspect that the Champion press would require more operator strain, but again, it depends on what you want to use it for.

I do know that when I started unfolding 22LR rims, the Rockchucker was strenous to use. I tried both Richard and Dave's dies, but even when I adjusted the die to just barely unfold the rim and maximise the mechanical advantage, a lot of force was required. Compared to either my S Press or WH presses, it was a real bear!

I would need to be convinced that the leverage of the Champion was up to the job.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Master

I use one of Dave Corbin's CSP-1 (S die press). Sure works a lot easier derimming and making bullets than the Rock Chucker.

Amen to that. I went into my workshop last night and tried the Rockchucker for old time's sake. If I was starting out, that would discourage me from bullet making altogether!
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Man

Corbin

Quote Originally Posted by 303british.com View Post
    Amen to that. I went into my workshop last night and tried the Rockchucker for old time's sake. If I was starting out, that would discourage me from bullet making altogether!
    Plus one on being discouraged if useing a RC to de-rim I use a Corbin S press and love it. Also have a RCBS Ammo Master 50 BMG http://www.midwayusa.com/product/108...ProductFinding
    anyone used one of those for any of there bullet work?

Boolit Buddy
    +1 more on the Hydro use Dave C's hydro roll hundred's of 22 case's don't even get a sore arm.
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

I use a RockChucker Jr3.

Will be building the "lets build a swage press" with adaptation for hydraulic operation.
    Would anyone be interested in a new thread entitled "lets make a hydraulic swage press"?

Boolit Buddy
    I am in!

RCECO Walnut Hill. I use it to make 50gr 224 from 22LR. Derimming 22LR is trivial. I anneal, then wet-tumble, then dry with a heat gun. The wet tumbling is to clean not only the outside, but the fine glass dust inside as well. Make sure to use some lube on the outside of the brass AND an occassional lubing of the punch itself. One wants the friction between die/brass to be slightly higher than brass/punch, lest the punch will draw the brass back out of the die. I've done about 12,000 of these so far. The bronze bushings of this press and the massive mechanical advantage put this in a class above any stout reloading press. I have the RCMS Ammomaster with 50BMG kit as well as the Lee Classic Cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Old Corbin Mity Mite I bought used about 1990-92 and it looked 100 years old then.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Christof13T View Post
    I use a RockChucker Jr3.

Will be building the "lets build a swage press" with adaptation for hydraulic operation.
    Would anyone be interested in a new thread entitled "lets make a hydraulic swage press"?
    I'm in on the hydro

Boolit Buddy
    use a corbin csp-1 with corbin dies and a rcbs to make 35 cal boolits with c/h dies

Boolit Master

I have not used it yet, do not have a way to make cores and hate to invest since i am not sure I will like the results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141206_114415.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	123992

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast