WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

View Poll Results: Which press do you use to swage ?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • RC

34 9.69%
  • RC2

23 6.55%
  • RC surpreme

16 4.56%
  • Lee Classic cast

59 16.81%
  • Real swage press(Corbin ect)

128 36.47%
  • Other

91 25.93%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What press do you use to swage ?

Boolit Man

mattw, stop in at your local walmart(sorry) and grab some sinkers or Crossman pellets. That should give you enough trial cores to see if you like it. Just drop them into your jacket, seat them, add another till you get the weight you want. Then point them. Try them. If you like it invest, if not, swapping and selling is open 24/7. Dave

Learning and picking up bits and pieces, anyone point me to a good starting point?
    I do not have any reloading equipment yet, I'd like to find one press that will handle swaging too.
    Single stage is fine for starters!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MustangAR View Post
    Learning and picking up bits and pieces, anyone point me to a good starting point?
    I do not have any reloading equipment yet, I'd like to find one press that will handle swaging too.
    Single stage is fine for starters!
    Depends on your goals, view point, and finances.

1. If you plan on using Swaging dies made by BTSniper, Larry Blockman, et.al then you could go with a standard style heavy duty reloading press like the RCBS Rock Chucker which uses the 7/8- 14" die thread pattern.

2. If you plan on using Swaging Dies made by Corbin (Dave Corbin), then you could use the Corbin CSP-1 press which will support both swaging operations (using Corbins Swage Dies which have a different thread pitch and set for swaging compared to traditional presses. This press will also let you perform reloading operations. Down side is higher cost.

3. You could also go for a press and Swage dies from RCE, LLC (Richard Corbin) with it's own unique flavors and set up. Down side once again is higher cost than RCBS or similar.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Depends on your goals, view point, and finances.

1. If you plan on using Swaging dies made by BTSniper, Larry Blockman, et.al then you could go with a standard style heavy duty reloading press like the RCBS Rock Chucker which uses the 7/8- 14" die thread pattern.
    Thanks "cuz"! This is where I am looking to land, and in BT's vendor forum he had more info

The Lee Classic Cast looks pretty good, with BT's auto-eject system. I am seeking double-duty equipment, as I am not yet a reloader either. I suspect I will get another press as soon as I get going really good.

The leverage a swaging press provides is a real blessing. Best analogy I can give is the difference between driving up a hill in a high gear, with the engine lugging, or downshifting and the engine RPM goes up. Both will get the job done, but the engine has to make more torque to get the job done in a higher gear. Likewise, using a reloading press will require putting one's back into swaging lead cores. A reloading press is good for low stress / high throughput like sizing / flaring / seating. Just my two cents...

Boolit Mold
    Sure have to be careful what you read on this site. Someone, ^^^^^^^ just so happened to write an innocent little sentence:
    "I tell ya, if you shoot a lot of jacketed 40, the swaging kit that takes 9mm Luger brass (0.394") and bumps it out to 0.401" looks promising."

Just a short time ago I had no idea what swaging was, now I am trying to replace all the soft lead I sent him, replace all the 9 brass that I have been trading off, and will be doing the 'lets build a swage press' project.

Just what I needed, another project

Corbin CSP-1
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Vendor Sponsor

I use a few Lee Classics and one sea girt!

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I use a few Lee Classics and one sea girt!
    Now that looks like a fun place to hang out...
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    Dave Corbin's Mega Mite press, the hand operated version of the Hydro-swage. Type H dies in .224 6s ogive and type H dies in .452 with a TC nose and a 3/4E nose.
    Also have the 22rf jacket making kit and a copper tubing jacket making kit for the .452

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Dave Corbin's Mega Mite press, the hand operated version of the Hydro-swage. Type H dies in .224 6s ogive and type H dies in .452 with a TC nose and a 3/4E nose.
    Also have the 22rf jacket making kit and a copper tubing jacket making kit for the .452
    Where do you get your copper tubing? I got a tubing making set as well but finding 1/2" diameter pipe is hard as it's pipe size is 3/8

Boolit Master
    Plumbing/HVAC supply houses.

Boolit Grand Master

Just thought I'd try my hand at it. I am trying out an ECHO and it seems to work ok. I am using a hardened steel 26in threaded rod for the handle.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I just started machining the parts to build a press similar to ANeat's press from the post "Lets make a press"...
    You guys ROCK!!!
    Last edited by kdbarker; 07-15-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Man
    I haven't done any swaging in years but it was with one of Ted Smith's presses. It's still around here. Somewhere.

Boolit Man
    I use a RC Supreme to swage .25 cal pellets and have the Walnut Hill on order for .224 and rim fire jackets. Now, how can I "make" (or get made) an ejector for the RC. I have NO machining equipment other than a hack saw and a few files. So far, I can just press the pellets out with the heal of my hand, but sometimes the hand gets a bit tired. By the way, cost is a concern for a retired preacher.

Boolit Buddy
    if you need copper tubing I have a lot of it left over from when I used to make 50 cal bullets 1/2 '' copper tubing

Boolit Buddy
    Corbin S press

Boolit Mold
    Corbin Hydro Press

Banned
    Can you link me to that? I have a design figured out but would love to see what others have already done.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbarker View Post
    I just started machining the parts to build a press similar to ANeat's press from the post "Lets make a press"...
    You guys ROCK!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast