MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: shot size for home defense

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    Something else i remembered that has to do with birdshot. I met a fellow about 25 years ago that was shot in the stomach with a load of birdshot and the guy said the man that shot him pressed the barrel to his stomach and pulled the trigger as he was sitting on the sofa. His scars looked horrible and he lost a good portion of his stomach, but he was still here to tell the story. I suspect buckshot or even coyote shot would have severed his spine.
    Was it effective?
    With a shotgun blast to the gut, did he quit screwing with the guy that shot him?
    A blast of birdshot at zero range would sure clip a spine "IF" it hit it. Same as Buckshot or number two or twelve or probably sawdust for that mater.

Lloyd:

Try stacking "0" buck inside your shot cup for your Saiga. In my "limited" experience with making homemade buckshot rounds, "0" stack 3x inside of a shot cup like a dream.

Makes me wish I would have bought a "0" buckshot mold instead of the #1 that I did.

With a shotgun blast to the gut, did he quit screwing with the guy that shot him?
    He certainly stopped doing that to the mans wife.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinLeon View Post
    Yeah, even after 98 posts, it hasn't morphed into a sex or politics topic yet... That has to be a record for a topic on the internet...
    ...Well it made it to 102 at least...
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    He certainly stopped doing that to the mans wife.
    Aha!
    So he missed by about 8 inches high.

Longwood

video's added

I added some, how to, video's

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    My first extended lethal range trials, were back in about 1957 when I was about 12.
    I found out that a 12 gauge full of bird shot and pouring in all of the melted paraffin the shell would take made a slug that tore a limb in two that was bigger around than a Coke can at over twenty yards.
    Smallest groups I ever saw from a shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbrP...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46...feature=fvwrel

Shotcups had not been invented so this is what we did for fun as country boys.

All we had was a shotgun we had to saw eight inches off of the barrels because they sort of made a Y and because of that and the burned away stock it was hard to aim and shells, we had very few of.
    Probably a REAL good thing.

Boolit Bub
    LOL this thread really needed that 103rd post, i was starting to hear voices--

*Birdshot!!* *Buckshot!!* *Wabbit season!!* *Duck season!!*

Banned

only thing is i allreay have a oo and hate to buy another mold. Id consider it though if lee would make one. Really the oo works fine as long as you use fiber wads and over powder wads and its not that much slower to do that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Lloyd:

Try stacking "0" buck inside your shot cup for your Saiga. In my "limited" experience with making homemade buckshot rounds, "0" stack 3x inside of a shot cup like a dream.

Makes me wish I would have bought a "0" buckshot mold instead of the #1 that I did.

Really, this is silly! Unless an intruder sends you a calling card (bang, crash, beep) the only weapon available will be a pillow, book, pan or tableware. I've often though a small frag genade would be the best HD weapon. On the other hand, my 17 rnd 180 gr. 40SW should suffice. I remember seeing the story told by the woman that emptied her 38 and then reloaded and chased the guy down the street. Never did hit him. Now that is NORMAL.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Really, this is silly! Unless an intruder sends you a calling card (bang, crash, beep) the only weapon available will be a pillow, book, pan or tableware. I've often though a small frag genade would be the best HD weapon. On the other hand, my 17 rnd 180 gr. 40SW should suffice. I remember seeing the story told by the woman that emptied her 38 and then reloaded and chased the guy down the street. Never did hit him. Now that is NORMAL.
    It worked about perfectly in my book.
    He left and won't be back.
    The rest of the punk's around, now know that it is a great idea to go screw with someone else.

If you blow someone away, chances are they will hire Gloria or another Bitch like her and you will spend a small fortune trying to get her and all of the prps relatives that think they just hit the lottery, out of your hair.
    If I had to shoot someone, I would rather wound someone with something legal that some pasty faced lawyer, would not have a field day with.
    No nuclear ammo, no vest piercing, "COP KILLER" ammo and no stuff that I cast or loaded myself.

Banned

I guess i have to side more toward if i have to shoot someone I want them shot! I dont want them able to return fire on me or my family. Sure in a perfect world it would be great to stop the threat without killing someone but for the most part you have to keep in mind that if your pulling the trigger its because you fear that that person is going to kill or hurt you or your family. If not you have no bussiness pulling the trigger in the first place. Im not going to loose a minutes sleep over killing someone that has those intentions and could give a rats *** about trying to justify it later in court.

Boolit Master
    The problem with isolated stories being offered as "proof" is that there is one to prove almost every theory or opinion.

If anyone is interested, I can post links to three different encounters with grizzlies that were stopped in mid charge and killed by bird shot. One killed by a duck hunter, two killed by pheasant hunters.

I can also post a story where a terrorist tried to escape off of a stretcher after having been hit by 2 500 lb. smart bombs.

So is bird shot charge stoppers? Are smart bombs ineffective as fight stoppers? I guess we all have our opinions on those, and I don't think we will change our opinions based on what is posted here.

Boolit Master
    I have always been told it would be better to kill someone, not just for tactical reasons, but that you don't want to end up paying their medical bills the rest of their life after you wound them. I really don't want to kill someone and will go to great lengths to avoid it, but my home is my castle and if you invade my securty net that far i will react with deadly force, and the State of Montana agrees with me.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456