RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ithaca 16ga Flaming bomb shotgun??

Ithaca 16ga Flaming bomb shotgun??

I acquired an old Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge recently. After closer inspection I saw theres the Flaming bomb with initials RLB on reciever and a letter P stamped on barrel(Which I didnt make the seller aware of.) The stock has a small typical Ithaca crack by trigger guard but otherwise in good shape. Theres no serial number to be found anywhere on it. Does anyone know what the value on this would be to a military collector? I know its not common to see a military shotgun in 16 gauge and I cant find one anywhere in my books. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mike
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master
    The s/n maybe on the face of the receiver and may not be very visible without removing the barrel.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

In Remebrance

Flaming bomb or not, I'd never sell off my Ithaca 37 16 ga. I looked for years to find one and it's about the only shotgun I could ever hit anything with.

Found it SCB, Thanks. The ser # is 637XX. Looks to be a low number and hope it helps identify when its from.
    Last edited by wiljen; 06-10-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Mike B.

Boolit Master
    Your most welcome. FWIW if you are not familiar with these old Ithaca's, the barrel should also have the same # on it. These old M37s had removable barrels, not interchangeable ones. They had to be headspaced to a specific action. That why they were also numbered. The barrel and receiver number have to match.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

Just a suggestion, though too late.

"X" out some of the numbers of that serial number . . .. As in Serial # 63XXX
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

FWIW< I've never heard of, and find it hard to believe that, the US Military would accept any other gauge than a 12ga.

it's a matter of supply/logistics - AFAIK, 12ga was all there was available in military supply channels (WWII)

BTW - Although a later 16ga bbl (w/o SN) could have been fitted to the receiver (Ithaca M37 12ga & 16ga receivers are IIRC identical), an Ithaca M-37 with a SN in the 63,000 range is outside the published/known range of Military Trench/Riot shotguns.

Last edited by pietro; 06-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    On page 51 of Ithaca Featherlight Repeaters by Walter Snyder there was a contract, date unknown W-740-2594 for 537 Model 37 and 37R 16 gauge shotguns, but there were a bunch of contracts where they were more than 5,000 Ithaca 37's ordered where no caliber was listed. On page 55 there was a letter from Aug. 31, 1942 in which Ithaca responded to the War Department's inquiry of how many Ithaca 37 pumps specifically in 16 gauge were on hand and could furnish. Ithaca told them they had 1,100 pumps in stock with 160 more that would be ready within two weeks. Ithaca also stated that within 60 days they could produce 4,475 more if the War Department would help get the necessary magazine and action bar tubing.

I would think a 16 gauge Ithaca 37 would be somewhat rare, but as for the markings there isn't a place to look that I am aware of specifically, but your serial number falls within the war years as in 1941 the standard 37's went to 50,900 and the solid rib from 70,000 to 71,500 and in 1942 up to 63,000 for the standard version and 1946 was 92,000 to 115,350. So your gun is a wartime gun within the number range.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    FWIW< I've never heard of, and find it hard to believe that, the US Military would accept any other gauge than a 12ga.

it's a matter of supply/logistics - AFAIK, 12ga was all there was available in military supply channels (WWII)

BTW - Although a later 16ga bbl (w/o SN) could have been fitted to the receiver (Ithaca M37 12ga & 16ga receivers are IIRC identical), an Ithaca M-37 with a SN in the 63,000 range is outside the published/known range of Military Trench/Riot shotguns.

I've seen other "small" gage guns that were ordinance marked. The one I can specifically recall was a 16 ga. Winchester m97 26" bbl. that was also marked something to the effect "Property of TVA" (Tennessee Valley Authority).

Last edited by scb; 06-10-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add pic
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know what the RLB on reciever and letter P on barrel means?
    scb, The barrel is serail numbered the same as the reciever. Thanks for the help. PS- Want to sell that box of ammo?
    How in the world would I get a value on something like this if its as rare as it looks to be?
    Mike B.

Boolit Master
    Those aren't my shells. It's jpg I "borrowed" from here>http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...p/t125973.html
    Some good stuff on GI shotgun ammo.
    Benjamin Franklin

James Madison

RLB would be the inspector. and The P is an arsonal mark. I am not near any book that I can look them up. Thats the best I can give ya.