Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler media

Boolit Master

Tumbler media

After reading several posts here about using crushed walnut, reptile bedding I tried some recently. WOW what a difference compared to the corncob media I had been using. I think the brass comes out looking almost new.

Now I will save the old corncob media for really filthy brass and just use the reptile bedding from the pet store for everything else.

Thanks.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Have you tried it with NuFinish Car Wax? Really makes a difference.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    Why do people complain about dust from tumbling media? Don't all tumblers come with lids?

I've read that the liquid waxes and polishes can build up on the inside of your cases.
    I've developed a dry additive for my walnut shell that results in increased dust, but speeds the cleaning process by about 300%.

I keep the lid on my tumbler; no dust problem.

smokeywolf

Boolit Man
    I also add a used dryer sheet, (bounce) to the media to pic up crud in the bowl.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Why do people complain about dust from tumbling media? Don't all tumblers come with lids?

I've read that the liquid waxes and polishes can build up on the inside of your cases.
    I've developed a dry additive for my walnut shell that results in increased dust, but speeds the cleaning process by about 300%.

I keep the lid on my tumbler; no dust problem.

smokeywolf
    My wobbler, Lyman 1200, has slots in the lid. But I don't stand over the wobbler while it's running, deep breathing any dust, so I ain't concerned...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Fine grind corncob with a capful of NuFinish car finish is extremely fast and very high
    polish, and retards tarnishing. Be aware that all walnut products have substantial potential
    for toxic/allergic effects in many people.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree thats the reason you cant use walnut shavings for livestock. The urine reacts with the walnut shavings and can lead to hoof and skin problems etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Fine grind corncob with a capful of NuFinish car finish is extremely fast and very high
    polish, and retards tarnishing. Be aware that all walnut products have substantial potential
    for toxic/allergic effects in many people.

Bill

Now I will save the old corncob media for really filthy brass and just use the reptile bedding from the pet store for everything else.
    Walnut cleans better than corn, but most agree that corn polishes better. The best polish i can achieve with a vibratory tumbler is with crushed walnut and jewelers rouge and an eighth of a cup of mineral spirits. It works better than the nu finish (or anything else) and the cases come out looking better than new.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for those additional tips! That is why this forum is so good!!
    The small particles of walnut media does make a fair amount of dust even with the cover on my Lyman. I have to run it in another room or just turn it on in the reloading area and leave for awhile. I use the dryer sheet cut up too.

The corncob does have Nufinish added to it. But I think the walnut cleans them up even better.

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy
    I have used corn cobs and walnut husks, takes to long. I purchased 1/8 ceramic balls with water and a tablespoon of citric acid and a little dawn and in 20 mins they are ready.

Boolit Bub
    Where did you get the ceramic balls? I had been trying to come up with a different cleaning method and was trying to copy the process we use at work for refuring old electrical breakers We us a large 100 gallon vibe tube and fill it with a mild detergent and stainless steel, irregularly shaped looking rivets. It does a nice job on the breaker parts with out damaging any of the contactor surfaces. The ceramics seem like they might do the trick for brass.

I have used corn cobs and walnut husks, takes to long.
    A half teaspoon of jewelers rouge added to fine crushed walnut hulls and an eighth cup of mineral spirits will clean and polish cases in a half hour. My brother bought me a packet of jewelers rouge that came with those instructions for cleaning brass (think he got it from ebay if i recall correctly) and if you leave the cases running for an hour they come out with the primer pockets clean too.

When I got a vibratory tumbler years ago I got started with corn media and a "spalsh" of brass polish (refresher). Worked fine. I have since tried many media types including white rice, kitty litter, and walnut hulls. I still prefer the corn media but I will try the mineral spirit & jewlers rouge additive to some walnut hulls as Uniquedot advocates, when my current supply of corn media runs low.

Couple of things I have become convinced of is that almost any brand of car polish works as an additive (cheaper the better) and that increasing your tumble time with fresh media and polish for a like new look can be acheived with several different mixtures. Oh - white rice works in an emergency but it absorbs grime very quickly and did not provide a really bright look.

regards,

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamfered View Post
    Where did you get the ceramic balls?
    I got some from a guy that does powder coating.

I also add BB's to walnut hulls but do not recommend them for 223 brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    Walnut cleans better than corn, but most agree that corn polishes better. The best polish i can achieve with a vibratory tumbler is with crushed walnut and jewelers rouge and an eighth of a cup of mineral spirits. It works better than the nu finish (or anything else) and the cases come out looking better than new.
    Is the rouge a liquid, powder or the paste stick? Do you put it in with the mineral spirits and let it run a while before adding the brass?

Boolit Master
    Jeweler's rouge is a mild abrasive that is typically in the form of a block or stick. The consistency or viscosity of which is a little thicker or harder than grease pencil. It is usually applied to a spinning buffing wheel which is then used to buff or polish soft metals. There are several colors of rouge, each representing a different abrasive grit.
    I'm betting that the mineral spirits acts as a suspension agent to disperse the rouge throughout the walnut media.

smokeywolf

Longwood
    Rotten stone (Jeweler rouge) is often available in powder form.
    Woodworkers sometimes use it.

Boolit Master
    Nu-Finish is a mild polish carried in a light oily type liquid, it's not a wax.

It matters not if we use red or white rouge for brass, both work about the same, both are the working ingredient in any tumbling additive. We can buy cakes of both red and white metal polishing rouge in Lowe's/H'depot for not much and scrape a half teaspoon full into our tumber when ever we want to, without the gooey liquid that's in most of the common commercial stuff.

It seems many people use far too much polish during tumbling. Most of the dust in tumbling media is simply excess liquid polish that's dried, caked over and broken off the grayed kernels of media. Mineral spirits will both soften the caked polish to rejuvinate it and, as a liquid, it will also help hold dusting down.

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    Is the rouge a liquid, powder or the paste stick? Do you put it in with the mineral spirits and let it run a while before adding the brass?
    The rouge was a very fine powder and yes the first time you use it you have to let it run for a few minutes before adding the brass. The mineral spirits not only helps to clean dirty brass (including the primer pockets) but it also keeps the dust down from the media and the rouge. I left some in for about 2.5 hours once and they looked like bright gold! cleaner and shiner than i have ever seen brass before... including those done with the stainless pins, but it doesn't clean the inside of the cases as good as the stainless.

I've stolen some clean walnut media from my wifes stash she uses for the macaws. I did this out of necessity of course but I recently started to use the stainless tumbling media and Thumlers tumbler that came in a kit from Sinclair. It is a bit spendy but my lord does it clean cases like new. Clean through out and not the nasty residue I'd get from walnut media. I'll never go back. I kid you not it is like opening a bag of new cases when it's done. Add dawn and some lemi-shine and tumble for a couple of hours. I love a great tool!!!
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast