Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Filling in Lettering on a receiver.

Filling in Lettering on a receiver.

I was given a IDS lower that a friend was no longer going to use and I thought I would use it to put together a frankenrifle from spare parts. Here is the weird part, the safety/Fire configuration is 180 Degrees instead of the usual 90 Degree's. Another wards from safe you have to rotate the lever all the way 180 degrees to the fire position (it would be full auto on a M16) at 3 O'clock instead of the usual 12 O'clock position for fire.

I have changed the safety to the normal style and it works fine but now I have a receiver that has no marking in the 12 O'clock position for fire and the fire position at 3 O'clock is now dead.

What would you guys suggest I do to fill in the Fire at 3 O'clock and make a Fire at 12 O'clock? Hope that made sense.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

I would make sure you do not have an M-16 receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I would make sure you do not have an M-16 receiver.
    That is the first thing I thought also but comparing this receiver with pictures of the M16 one they are not the same. I did some searching and it was standard to have the safety set up this way by IDS, came from the factory like that.

Boolit Master
    I would keep it as is. That is quite an interesting piece and later on you may find someone who wants it real bad as an oddity.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with x101airborne, you should just leave it alone. However, if you are just bound and determined to change it, you should strip the paint, fill in with low heat aluminum solder, draw file it smooth, have a CNC shop recut the letering in the correct position, and then repaint it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I think I will just cover it over with some black tape to hide the "fire" at the 3 O'clock position. For the "FIRE" in the 12 O'clock position where it now needs to be I think I will use either some read nail polish or paint of some sort.

Boolit Master
    Boolit Master

I think I will just cover it over with some black tape to hide the "fire" at the 3 O'clock position. For the "FIRE" in the 12 O'clock position where it now needs to be I think I will use either some read nail polish or paint of some sort.
    Aren't ya scared everyone will start calling you "Bubba" Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

At the very least, have a custom decal made that will show the proper position. How much did you pay for this rig? You don't buy a new truck and duct-tape the license plate on the tailgate do you?
    Find a way to do it right. You wont regret it. Or, sell that sucker to a guy who doesn't have the muscle memory problems that you are dealing with, and buy a traditional lower. Or, since it is a muscle memory thing, just leave it alone and don't let ametures handle your weapon.
    Really, if your looking to do it on the cheap, an aluminum decal is the way to go. You can get one made that looks like a washer and is only .005 thick, and just glue it on under the selector switch. (if your selector switch rides too close to the lower, you may need to draw-file the back of it so that it clears the decal.)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

You could approach it in a manner inspired by the TV gun shop shows for your fix...

"Fill it in with Bondo and send it over to paint"

Boolit Buddy
    Is an IDS Safety available? Then it should function as intended and "be correct"? Just a thought.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.