Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin Nagant M91/30 No Date on Barrel Shank

Just because a 'barrel' shows wear and tear... means what ?. The germans for example in both world wars salvaged untold tens of thousands of rifles/small arms. That these salvaged arms went back to the shooting war and or as a souvenir and got neglected is for certain. The russians refurbed and or stored wads of rifles with not "perfect" but serviceable bores like any other combatant did and still does.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    This is not uncommon as you may think. The russian system for salvaging small arms was crude at best. Rifles rebarreled often did not get a "install date" applied to new spare barrels fitted to them.
    Guess I was taking your comment to mean that it had a new barrel installed during the refurbishment process and therefore it should be wearing a new barrel, not a used one. Now if you are saying that the rifle had a new barrel installed during the war and went back into the field, that would be slightly different. Installing a used barrel to get a rifle back into service is also not the same as having a "new spare barrel fitted".

Salvage is also different than NEW.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Remember, many of these rifles were originally built in the wildest haste during 1942-43. It's entirely possible that some simply were not stamped due to the production speed. Kind of hard to concentrate on quality when you can hear the Nazi guns in the distance.

I have a "rearsenalled" 91/30 with an almost new bore and all the "correct" marks, but one side of the receiver is ground smooth and the other side has rough machining marks....and it was sent out the door that way. Those were wild times............

Banned

Look inside the reciever and see if it has a inner ring where the barrel seats. If it has been re-barreled, they removed the ring to help speed up the head spacing of the barrel. Instead of machining two sepperate shoulders to have the barrel be seated, they removed the inner reciever ring. That way the barrel is only seated against the front of the reciever.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the lack of a receiver ring was a feature found on WWII and after receivers. It was also found on older receivers that had been re-barreled.

I could be wrong on that thinking. The information I have is from 7.62x54R.net.

Banned

It was done on all of them that were rebarreled, and the war time ones. It made it easy to re use the old barrels. That was why I said to look on the bottom. The Russians did not throw anything away. The rifles were more expensive an worth more than the people were to the State.

Boolit Buddy
    My understanding is that post 1941 receivers did not have an inner receiver ring. It was to speed up the manufacturing process during the war. This one wears a 1943 receiver which does not have a inner receiver ring and was not originally made with one. Any receiver which was made with an inner receiver ring and that was to be re-barreled had the inner receiver ring removed before the barrel was installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12