Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Arisaka Rifling

Boolit Master

Arisaka Rifling

For those with Arisaka's in 7.7mm,how deep does the rifling run?.Looking down the bore,it looks like the rifling has rounded edges,not nice and sharp.If I run a slug down the barrel,it hardly shows any rifling grooves at all.It does appear to Mic out at .316. I guess I need to bench this thing and see how it groups to be a worth while shooter.I plan on using a Lee 185gr boolit made for the 7.7/303 or a Lyman 314299 200gr.I will probably have to shoot as cast with a 4-1 alloy.(4 ww-1lino)or a/c ww's.I think I will use either FWFL or Ben's Red as lube.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    The Jap rifles are supposed to have Metford type rifling as once used by the Lee Metford .303 British rifles.
    I have seen a couple of 7.7 last ditch rifles that looked to have more conventional rifling. No telling where the barrels came from. The Japanese did capture Chinese machinery, so they may have used the Chinese equipment to cut mauser type rifling in some barrels.

Your rifle sounds like it has the proper Metford rifling, which can have the appearance of a badly worn bore. It was made that way, the rounded lands and grooves originally intended to reduce fouling of the Compressed Black powder propellent cylinder used for the .303 before the British developed Cordite.
    The Metford bore is easier to clean, but also becomes eroded fairly quickly if high temperature propellents are used.

The Japanese used Cordite for some ammunition, not sure what other propellents they used but I seem to remember Picric acid being used either as a propellent or as an explosive.

I'd suggest asking around for Boolits and loads found to be accurate in the Lee Metford rifles.

Should you decide to try J-word bullets try the Hornady 175 gr .312 bullet or the Hornady .312 150 gr bullets. These were originally designed for best accuracy in the 7.7 Jap rifles and the 150 gr gave great accuracy in all the British .303 rifles I've tried them in.
    These bullets fill out the throats of milspec chambers and bump up very nicely but require a fairly stout load to bump up as they should in over sized bores.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 06-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes the barrel does have the appearance of being worn.I was wondering if it was or not.I also understand that the Arisaka barrel were suppose to be chromed.I plan on shooting only cast.I also have to get used to the sights too
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post

The Japanese used Cordite for some ammunition, not sure what other propellents they used but I seem to remember Picric acid being used either as a propellent or as an explosive.
    For the Type 99 the Japanese Army used a flake powder that was 97.5% nitrocellulose, 1.5% stabilizer, & 1% volatile matter. The cordite was used by the Japanese Navy, but I don't know if it was used in any rifles.

The above is from the US Navy Mission to Japan report that was written in 1945.
    Last edited by perotter; 06-09-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: wrong word

Boolit Master

http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/prima...t%200-10-2.pdf

That Navy Report is at the link above.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    For the Type 99 the Japanese Army used a flake powder that was 97.5% nitrocellulose, 1.5% stabilizer, & 1% volatile matter. The cordite was used by the Japanese Navy, but I don't know if it was used in any rifles.

I have broken down jap 7,7 semi rim and their version of the .303 brit for their naval used copies of the lewis back in the day ... all square flake powders. Japanese use of cordite I'd wager was strictly for large naval guns/artillery .
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    Yes the barrel does have the appearance of being worn.I was wondering if it was or not.I also understand that the Arisaka barrel were suppose to be chromed.I plan on shooting only cast.I also have to get used to the sights too
    The japanese abononed chromed bores in late 1942 early 1943 as they simply could not afford to use the chrome that way anymore . Some very few type 38's can be found wiht the chrome bore as well.
    I have found when I was into collecting and shooting japanese rifles , those made previous to the "cheapening" changes due to war constraints have some of the most grogeous blue finish , beautiful wood and all shot very very good.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post

That would explain why they had success with the Metford rifling, which had eroded badly when Cordite was introduced for the .303.

The French also prefered a Nitrocellulose powder for .303 ammunition for the Lewisguns used on some of their aircraft.