Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pederisoli sights

Beekeeper

Pederisoli sights

I have heard all of the ( throw them in the river, in the trash ,recycle bin answers).
    I still want to use one on an old rifle I have ( if I like them will look at better ones)

The question is ,
    when installing them on an unknown rifle that is not drilled and tapped for them.
    If you set the elevation at (0) at what range should you be ? 200 yards , 100 yards?
    The rifle I am thinking of installing it in has a short tang and to get it installed I will have to either cut out part of the cheekpiece or install where I cannot get my hand around the pistol grip.
    Any help appreciated

beekeeper

Banned

I have one , a micro adjustable on my Tryon and it is a pain in the ***!! The peep hole is so small that it is constantlly needing cleaning from the gas blowback. Another downfall is it is so fragile. It did adjust up nice Other than that looking back I should have saved my money and drilled out a washer.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Pederisoli vernier sight on a 1885 Highwall, it was aweful. It would not fold flat enough that you could clean the rifle from the breech. I either had to take the sight off or clean from the muzzle. It was not that well made. For the same amount of money you can get a Lee Shaver vernier sight that works and is well made. If you just want a good tang sight, and are not going to be shooting long range competition, for a little over a hundred $$ you can get a Marble tang sight. And it will probably come closer to fitting your rifle. I have the Marble tang on two of my rifles and a Lee Shaver delux on my Browning 1885 BPCR.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    I have heard all of the ( throw them in the river, in the trash ,recycle bin answers).
    I still want to use one on an old rifle I have ( if I like them will look at better ones)

The question is ,
    when installing them on an unknown rifle that is not drilled and tapped for them.
    If you set the elevation at (0) at what range should you be ? 200 yards , 100 yards?

beekeeper
    There is no answer to your question . You will have to do the shooting and see what the vernier reads when you get centered on the aiming point at what range. Write it down and proceed on to the next distance.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Yep, pretty much shoot, and see. My Sharps had a Parts Unknown sight on it. According to setting it at 850 yards, I was on at 1000 yards.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OK Guys ... I have 5 Pedersoli sights on Sharps & Highwalls. The 100yd baseline MOA on the 2 Sharps is 0 MOA and the others need more elevation. On the Soule, I have a Hadley cup and the others are stock oculars. If you are ******** ...'peep hole is so small that it is constantly needing cleaning from the gas blowback' ... that's pure unadulterated bull ****!

and if you won't buy a Hadley cup, do you own a drill and bits to open the ocular hole?

I shoot close to 2,000 + or - rounds each year. The oldest sight is vintage 2001 and it and none of the others have 'fell off' - bent or loosened. With the Sharps & HiWall, they are the 1000yd rifles and here's an example of a 2007 group on Homer with a 10" bulleseye ... who I visit 2 to 3 times each year

And Moondawg, I clean the HiWall from both the muzzle and the breech. No I don't have to remove the vernier. Did the thought ever go through your head to buy a flexible cleaning rod that bends when cleaning from the breech?

And yes, I have $650 worth of Baldwin sights on my CPA (32-40 & 45-70 barrels). My groups are no better with the Baldwin then with the Pedersoli's
    Last edited by John Boy; 06-05-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Regards
    John

John keep in mind he's mounting this sight on a Martini. There's no provisions designed into that rifle for a pedersoli sight, and the sight was not engineered to work on a martini rifle.. So getting the 0 setting to be dead on at any range is going to take alot of luck..

Vendor Sponsor

Jeez John Boy! Does someone need to buy you a happy meal?
    A little less tough talk would sell your point better.
    Chill Wills

Beekeeper
    Guessing by playing with it looking out the garage door to a place I know is about 100 yards I think it will be reaonably close at 200.
    Will find out next week and maybe by then I can come up with a base design that will get me on at 100 with the sight at "0"

Thanks for the insight and help.

beekeeper

Here's something you can try.
    With the sights that are on the gun now set for 100 yds (or whatever suits your fancy) place the vernier sight on the gun about where you will mount it, set it to 0 and carefully move the entire sight until the barrel sights are perfectly aligned with the center of the vernier's aperature. Mark the spot on the gun's "tang" and install your sight.

I use a number of Pedersoli sights on my Sharps and haven't found any problem?

For mounting on a Martini try these mounts for an original Meus sight but could be adapted to any other range aperature

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I use a number of Pedersoli sights on my Sharps and haven't found any problem?

For mounting on a Martini try these mounts for an original Meus sight but could be adapted to any other range aperature

I made a plate similar to BA's but bigger and mounted a Williams 5D to it and it works great and much cheaper than the Meus or the Pedi. Here in this country the Meus would probably be next to impossible to find.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 06-08-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Moondawg, I clean the HiWall from both the muzzle and the breech. No I don't have to remove the vernier. Did the thought ever go through your head to buy a flexible cleaning rod that bends when cleaning from the breech?

No it did not go through my head to buy a flexible cleaning rod. I avoid flexible cleaning rods like the plague.. They tend to bow and cause cleaning rod wear on whatever part of the bore and/or chamber they touch. You are free to have whatever kind of sight you want on your rifles and clean them however you want. I will do the same.

Moondawg you may want to google up Delrin cleaning rods.....

Boolit Master
    Fuzz in the peep hole is from eye-strain. The hole is too small. A larger hole is in order. Buy a set of number drills. Number drills allow you to open the sight in small increments. I have a a Hadley cup on my Lee Shaver midrange sight. I'm a happy camper.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    Fuzz in the peep hole is from eye-strain. The hole is too small. A larger hole is in order. Buy a set of number drills. Number drills allow you to open the sight in small increments. I have a a Hadley cup on my Lee Shaver midrange sight. I'm a happy camper.
    Hard to blow that fuzz out to, but I keep trying.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Yes sir, bigger drill bits get the fuzz out but what do you use to dark out the shiny newly exposed metal?

Kokomokid,
    Try a sharpie and give it a couple of coats. Stops the rust also.
    Ramar

Boolit Master

Hey gentlemen:
    When I first bought my Uberti 1885 HighWall, I mounted one of the Pedersoli sights on it. I was not planning on doing any competative shooting. I did have a problem with the small hole. As stated, I have a set of tip drills, and did select the one I thought most appropriate. I did blacken it with a sharpie. It worked just fine. I had no trouble shooting with the sight. It worked just great for what I bought it for. It stayed in place. It did not lose it's zero, raising it up to the shooting position, or laying it down in its resting position. It didn't bend over sideways by itself, being the cheap sight that it was.
    It DID have exessive play in the elevation and windage adjustments. I do not understand why this is such a big deal though. If one notes the elevation mark needed, say for 200 yards from a 100 yard zero, the play in the adjustment screws does not matter. Just move the elevation to the proper mark, and lock in place.
    Anyway, I have moved on to a scope sight, and no longer use the Pedersoli.
    I did make me a delrin cleaning rod that would go between the two staff uprights.
    This did solve my problem of the cleaning rod NOT clearing the sight when it was folded down. I never once had any problem with the rod moving the cheap Pedersoli sight staff out of adjustment or off of zero when cleaning my HighWall in this mannor.
    If I was to decide to start shooting competition with this rifle, I would opt for a better made sight with better/tighter tolerances.
    Just some things to think about.
    Jack

Boolit Master
    Frankly,

And I am known for that, Frankness, Compared to a Baldwin, MVA, Hoke, Kelly, even the Parts Unknown is a much higher Quality of sight. Pedersoli's Sights are Junk. They build a decent rifle, why they can't build a decent sight is beyond me.

You Never and I mean Never see one in the winners Circle. FWIW.

The Lunger
    KW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast