Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pederisoli sights

Sights?

Are you guys saying these are not good sights?

Owen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sights.jpg  

That is not the sight that is shipped with the rifles. The ones that are JUNK are the cheap ones they simply stick in the box. They must buy them from China or somewhere. I even had one on a Pedersoli roller that didn't have a hole drilled in the eyecup.

There are 2 issues with that sight. 1 it is fragile. Don't drop the rifle and have it hit that sight. It can fracture. Here is a link to a post with pics that shows what happens

http://forums.handloads.com/archive/....asp?TID=16755

the 2nd is that you have to buy their Hadley eye cup if you want one

Since they fixed them so that they don't wobble, they are accurate and work good. As I mentioned, they have only those 2 issues.

Mine didn't come with a tang site and

I bought this one at Cabellas. It is a Pedersoli.

Owen

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by drcook View Post
    With a Pedersoli, you have a proprietary design for the way the eye cup screws in. With the domestic manufacturers, you can use different eye cups on different sights as long as the thread pitch is the same
    That's true, but IF you own a Pedersoli eyecup made for their better grade of sights, it can be modified to work with other brands of sight.

I had a Pedersoli Hadley when I ordered a Lee Shaver Economy Soule.
    I modified the eyecup to fit a standard 12-40 thread and had Shaver thread the sight to take it.

More recently, I bought a Heilman soule sight (didn't like the Shaver), and his standard thread is 12-40.
    (Sometimes called 7/32 x 40, it's also standard for Williams, Redfield, and Lyman aperture sights.)

This is what you do ... remove Section A at Point X and cut threads on Section B.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 06-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

CM,

Ron Heilman makes the slides for me a little thicker so I can see them. My eyes changed to where I can't focus from the distance of a computer monitor back to my nose. The hazards of writing software for a living for 25 years.

I have a bunch of his soule sights. All work well.

That is good for people to know, (ie: modifying the Pedersoli Hadley)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post
    Are you guys saying these are not good sights?

Owen
    Here are a few of my observations. You can determine if they are worthwhile.

1. You will notice in your photo the sight hinge point is very low. The distance from the staff to the rear face of the eye piece is long. This prevents the sight from laying down where you can clean your rifle easily.

2. The sight has a lot of slop in all the parts of the elevation slide assembly. When the aperture is loosened to adjust elevation it can move around an excessive amount. When retightened there is no guarantee that the windage or elevation will go back where it should.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I would say that for "fun" shooting, the ladder sights on the barrel of a Martini, Rolling Block or Peabody (or for that matter, a Pedersoli or even a Shiloh Sharps) are fine. The low-cost tang sights work equally well, and add some cool factor if that is needed.

I blast away offhand at 50, 100, 200 and sometimes 300 yards all the time with such sights, and even with the standard buckhorns with the sliding stairstep elevator. If you can stay satisfied with this kind of shooting, any of these sights are fine.

I fired my first Silhouette match with a Garrett Sharps Carbine in .45-70, with the ladder barrel sight and Pyrodex loads. Hits were rare, but I did come in 3rd on the 300-meter stage. (Obviously, this match was not the Nationals.)

The problem started when the winner of the match decided to stay after and "test some loads" in his 1875 C. Sharps. I succumbed to a fatal curiosity and stayed to watch. He used an Outers Rest and put seven shots into a hand span at 500 meters. Suddenly my "minute of deer at 150 yards" equipment, while still fun to shoot, was somehow lacking in something. It took several more years, but the fact that I was already taking the time to load the cartridges, the (now black) powder was getting more expensive, the shooting effort was the same, and yet here was an obvious way to get much more value added in the results, eventually won me over.

It's kind of like giving your cat a can of that expensive cat food and then expecting him to go back to the cheap tuna you've fed him before. Maybe he will, but not happily, and he will let you know his dissatisfaction in a lot of ways.

I still take the old "collector's items" out for a workout once in a while, but I am more and more addicted to that breathless three seconds between the "BOOM!" of the rifle and the "CLANG!" coming back from a distant metal target. And I don't hear that noise nearly often enough unless I have a good rifle and good sights with reproducible settings.

So, Beekeeper, by all means use what you want, and have fun shooting, but if you see anybody shooting "for serious" at your local range, flee, as fast as you can.

Beekeeper
    Bentramrod,
    Been there , done that.
    For me it is fun to watch but I do not have the desire to compete, even in a buffalo match.
    For me shooting is a way to have fun and the Match shooters are way too serious.
    I started shooting BP just to see the diference between it and smokeless.
    That desire has not changed even tho I have been to numerous BP matches.
    I have even used my old junkers to introduce several shooters I know to the black arts so I just do it for fun.
    Like I told Big Ted I shot the last match I will ever shoot 16 March 1963 and have never changed my mind nor missed it.

beekeeper

Layback on Perosoli sight

I guess it would be nice if it layed back farther at this range setting, but I've never felt it was an issue for cleaning. 'til now. I also don't feel any amout of slop you speek of.
    I suppose it could be better, and I just don't know any better.

Owen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post
    I guess it would be nice if it layed back farther at this range setting, but I've never felt it was an issue for cleaning. 'til now. I also don't feel any amout of slop you speek of.
    I suppose it could be better, and I just don't know any better.

Owen

Hi Owen,
    Your eye piece will be snug when it is locked. If you loosen it to adjust the elevation it will be loose if you try to wiggle it, at least mine is. The slop does not bother me a lot because I don't not jack the elevation up and down like a competitor. It really bugs me to have the sight in the way of a cleaning rod though.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Hi Owen,
    Your eye piece will be snug when it is locked. If you loosen it to adjust the elevation it will be loose if you try to wiggle it, at least mine is.
    Which model do you have?

CM

Boolit Master
    Hi Charlie,
    I have at least one each of the Pedersoli sights except for the offset sight.
    1. I first noticed it in a LR Soule sight that I got as part of a wood boxed set from Dick Trenk.
    2. The second sight is the precision or competition model that came on a Pedersoli deluxe rifle. It is the version with the dual windage adjustment. The bottom adjustment is locked by a precision dovetail if you have photos to reference.
    3. The 3rd is a single windage sight. The staff has no windage at the base. The only windage travels with the elevation slide similar to a Sharps style sight.
    All the sights above have the wiggle. A good bit of it is due to the aperture shank being threaded into a dinky little loose tab that serves as a nut. (This tab is easily lost and would be easy to strip) The rest of the wiggle comes from elevation slide clearance to the staff and clearance between the front elevation slid and the rear half of the slide. These parts are aligned by roll pins pressed into the front piece and a running clearance fit into the rear component of the elevation slide.

The Pedersoli basic sight has the same slop. These sights are the inexpensive sights that come on so many Pedersoli rifles. These sights only have a "slip and slide" windage set by loosening the aperture and sliding the tab and aperture back and forth.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Hi Charlie,
    I have at least one each of the Pedersoli sights except for the offset sight.
    Thanks for the clear descriptions.

CM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123