Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I am something of a nut about taking care of my guns and have never had rust problems with one exception. Way back when, I would hunt ducks from a blind in the shallow waters of the Texas Laguna Madre. No matter how well I oiled the receiver of my shotgun, it would have a fine coat of rust at the end of the day.

I solved the problem by giving the metal a coat of Liquid Turtle Wax car wax. No problems after that. I have also done the same for hunting rifles as well, if it is damp or raining at all. I don't know how common this is, but it worked well for me over the years.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I am something of a nut about taking care of my guns and have never had rust problems with one exception. Way back when, I would hunt ducks from a blind in the shallow waters of the Texas Laguna Madre. No matter how well I oiled the receiver of my shotgun, it would have a fine coat of rust at the end of the day.

I solved the problem by giving the metal a coat of Liquid Turtle Wax car wax. No problems after that. I have also done the same for hunting rifles as well, if it is damp or raining at all. I don't know how common this is, but it worked well for me over the years.
    Wax is GOOD!
    Oil just does not hold up. Sheath or Barricade does well as does LPS-3.
    I use wax on my muzzle loaders and even stick a bunch in the barrel channels so it squeezes out when I install the barrel. That keeps rain from going down between the barrel and stock to get into the pan.
    Wax that wood too!

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I use paste wax on my "in the white" BP guns.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Bub

Ha, never thought of that...guess the 11-87 will be sportin' a new shine this winter. Outstanding

Boolit Master
    Great idea for our goose guns, they take a beating all season, it sure would be nice to give them a bit tougher protection!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned

Nu-finish is what I use on guns before a possible "wet" hunting trip.

I've been thinking about waxing the outside of my reloading dies, they always get rusty from handling/adjusting.

Gear

LPS3 has been wonderful! It dries to a waxy coat and I'm sure would gum up the action but on exposed metal it will keep the rust off.

Boolit Master
    That is a great idea on the dies gear! Mine always get coated in oil before i store them but seems like they always come out with at least a few tiny specks of rust on them.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

When I duck hunted back in the 60's up in the northeast I would have the same problem. Could always get the outside protected that way, but that didn't do much for the internal parts (sear, hammer/spring, etc.). One of the first coatings I saw that worked really well, in the 70's, was ArmorCoat (or something like that) that was an ionized nickel coating that was impervious to salt water, sulfuric acid, and countless other things, that my brother and I had a few things treated in. The guy who invented it was in Fort Worth, and sold his operation to a larger company that did not exercise QC and got a bad reputation - so the coating and process got shelved by the company that bought out the rights to it. Really too bad, it was a really tough coating that all parts could be treated and gun would never rust again (they would detail strip and treat all parts).
    Sure wish someone was doing that treatment now'a'days.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master

I'll bet that was Armalloy....................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Man that a trick I'll have to use this coming spring for turkeys, or this fall if we go north for deer, where the guns get cold then possibly sweat from heat variations.

Wonder if I could use a buffer and get a high lustre shine on my 870?

Banned

Corrosion X is a great product if you have highly acidic sweat, as I do. True Value used to carry it, don't know if they still do...

Real spay on Pledge, not WW. My finger acid cuts right through the regular wax.

Shellac works well. Old school way. Good for on a boat in the salt.

Lasts good cleans off with mineral spirits.

I remove the stock from my guns and coat all of the hidden metal, like the underside of barrel and action, with Recluse lube or LLA. I brush it on and let it dry before reinstalling the stock. If water gets into these areas while i'm hunting, I don't have to worry about rust forming before I get a chance to clean it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Kiwi shoe polish works for me.

@steg; do you use the clear? We used that to clean and polish the barrack floors in basic back in the early 60's

Boolit Bub
    collenite insulater wax
    with out a doubt the toughest longest lasting wax i ever used , just be sure to get the liquid wax , easy on easy off .

I'll have to try the wax. I have the sweaty/acidic hands problem and tend to leave rusty handprints on receivers and such. It's... annoying.
    I bought a used Uberti Henry replica years ago and since there's no forward wood, this may be a nice solution. Whoever had it before me must have had the same problem, 'cuz it had rusty handprints on the steel and even the brass receiver was tarnished badly. I had all the steel reblued and have been very careful of wiping it down after every use. I have a thing for brass and steel guns, so maybe this will keep the brass looking good too.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...