RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: 8 mm mold

Boolit Master

8 mm mold

I just picked up a new rifle ,a Turkish 1938 Mauser. ( just have to find room in the safe)
    Price was right only $25.00
    I plan on using it mainly for cast bullet plinking.
    A freind has a RCBS 82024 170 gr mold I can use .

Anyone use this mold ?
    Is it a good choice in a 8 mm mauser ?
    Or is the Lee C329-205-1R a better choice ? ( I like the Lee mold prices)

I plan on sluging the barrel to find the proper sizer to use.

It's been a while since I cast for a small bore rifle.
    I normaly stick to the 44 mag and 45/70 lead launchers

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I have had very good accuracy with the Lee 175 grain, Buckshot's custom Lee 240 grain, and a friend's Saeco 190 grain. The 8 X 57 is a very cast boolit-friendly cartridge.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    I have shot hundred of 8mm through the Turk 38 I bought from Century. Got a case of them for $25 each like you did. Got rid of most of them over the following couple of years. I have a couple that really like a mild "rabbit" load of the Lee 175 over about 25 grains of XMR5744. I just set the sights for 300 yards and I was on for 50 with that load. Loads of fun without any should abuse at all.

Super Moderator

...........I don't have the RCBS 8mm mould, but I suspect it would shoot well. For 8mm moulds I have the Lee 323-175R, The 2 Lymans 323470 and 323471, and then my custom Lee 326240RF. I will have to say that the Lee shoots as well as any other. The only issue I have is that it is only a single cavity.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Senor Buckshot is too modest, his boolit design, the Lee 245 grainer "El Supremo" is the best shooting long range cast boolit that I have ever tried. In 8mm or 30 caliber rifles. For short range plinking or small game hunting, any of the other ones will work, the Lee being one of the best. I wish someone could convince Lee to make their rifle molds in TWO cavities instead of one.

A year or so back I spent a few days with some other rifle shooting derelicts out at an old mine site. We set up some targets, 8" by 11" white rectangles made out of the funny plastic honey comb stuff, made for a realtor's signage. Heaven forbid there was one of them with us. The farthest one was at 800+ yards, measured with one of those Swiss optical range finders that are on the market. We could distinguish the cast boolit holes from the J-word holes because the cast actually punched a hole and left a smudge of lead, and the Jacketed just punched a small hole with flaps that kind of close up. Kind of like the infamous hanging chads of a couple of elections ago. Of course we could not tell until the end of the weekend who or what hit what, because nobody wanted to walk out there until the end of our stay. When the targets and other stuff were collected at the end of the weekend, the only holes in the 800 yard target were from the 8mm "El Supremo" boolit, designed by Senor Buckshot. Hats off please. The rifle was a Mauser I got in a trade from the well known Curmudgeon. Not a target rifle, a well used 1935 Mauser K-98 rifle.

Best regards from Nevada duke.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replys .
    I just got done casting a few hundred bullets with the RCBS mold out of strait WW water droping them.
    I have not even checked to see what the bullets came out at.

I plan on sizing some at both .323 and .325 to see witch the rifle likes ,if the mold droped a bigenough bullet.

Then I will try some 2400 loads next week.

I am still digging out casting and sizing stuff that I put away 8-10 years back when I quit due to lack of time and I quit shooting IHMSA, I found things I forgot I had.

I tested my lube I made on some .358 158 gr swc for the 357 at 800 fps.
    I had no leading and groups were on par with store bought lube .
    Not a real test but I will do more testing with the 44 mag and maybe these 8 mm bullets.
    Just a little smokeyer , I can live with that .

Funny to think after 10 years , I would be starting back casting other than sinkers ,jigs and a few bullets for the 45/70 and find I enjoy it again
    Store bought cast bullets are to easy and boring
    Oh what the heck I think I will dig the 303 out and shoot it sat.
    I wonder if those 10 year old bullets will shoot worth a hoot

I needed this release

Thanks Johnch
    Last edited by Johnch; 07-08-2005 at 02:50 AM.
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    jonch, You are certainly one of the more knowledgeable CB fanciers on this board. Not only have you chosen one of the finest lead slinging cartridges, but I see that you are planning to further insure your success by using the absolute best powder in the civilized world. A good starting point is C.E. Harris' "shoots good in any milsurp" load of 16.0 gr. I found the planets to all line up at 19.0 gr. (1650 fps in a 23" barrel.) No fillers necessary, as 2400 has never been position-sensitive in my applications. Please shine a flashlight into your charged loading block before seating bullets, there is plenty of room for two or three loads in the 8 X 57 case. You can take nevada duke's word, I have seen him shoot at 800 yards. I did notice in his post that he has fudged the age of his Obendorf a couple of years. It is a 1933 model, just old enough to miss the Nazi proof marks. Next he'll be adjusting his own age!
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Hey John, where abouts in NW Ohio? I am near Napoleon and Willbird is in Montpelier.
    I have two of the Turks and they both measure something like .327 or more if I remember correctly. My Yugo M-48A measures .324 throat. Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

I live just out side of Martin Ohio ,blink and you will miss the stop sign.

Between Oregon and Oak Harbor

I have not sluged the barrel or throat of the Mauser yeat
    I am taking it easy due to back problems ( I have not worked this week)
    I will get to it as I can.

Johnch

Boolit Mold
    \As usual, the esteemed NV Curmudgeon is correct, the Mauser is indeed a 1933. CRS strikes me every day in new and insidious ways. I really do love shooting those heavy cast boolits in the old Mauser while my shooting pals are lugging these heavy barreled 24 power scoped hair trigger contraptions around. I usually have a couple of rounds in the target before they get their scopes focused and the sandbags adjusted and all that extra stuff. Mausers are great rifles, and the 8 by 57 is a great cast boolit cartridge, and Buckshot's heavy boolit is the icing on the cake.

Nevada duke, over and out.

Banned
    Well I hate to burst the El Supremo bubble, but there's another bad boy in town and that is 45 2.1's heavy weights. A real big flat knock them down metplats. This bullet literally cuts hole's at 100 meters and that's at an honest to goodness 2400 fps. It probably out shoots at 250 meters what most 8mm cast shoot at 100 meters. This is out of a Yugo 48B.

The Lee 175 8mm cast shoots mighty fine too, don't know how it shoots at real distance yet, haven't tried it.

All I can say about the 45 2.1 heavy weight is: Es bueno ah tanto bueno, yo lo adoro.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey, Duke--good to see ya again.

The Lee 175 does very good work in my G98/40. The Buckshot Heavy has done well in the few loads I've tried in that rifle, but it needs more work to make a blanket statement. The querelous and recalcitrant Marlin in 25-20 is taking up FAR TOO MUCH range time with its attitude problems, and it is about to get relegated to J-Word Only Purgatory--so that decent rifles with better cast boolit manners get the attention they deserve. The 8 x 57 would be one such neglected candidate.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Bullet

I am using the C324-175-1R in my .32SP long rifle, does very well at 1900-2000 fps using LBT soft blue lube.

Boolit Mold
    Deputy Al, I have been following your posts on the Marlin 25-20. You may have saved me from another journey into reloading hell. I had a Marlin classic in the .218 Bee cartridge, and while it shot OK for a lever gun, I soon got bored with it and sold it. I always thought that the 25-20 would have been a better choice but now reading your reports, maybe not. Marlin also made the rifle in 32-20 caliber, I wonder if that would be a fun rifle to experiment with.

The heavy 8mm El Supremo 234-245 gr boolit is superb in my Mauser, a product of great minds from the old Shooter's.com board. Buckshot should be a consultant for RCBS in my book.

Another matter of grave importance to some of the old Shooter's board contributers. The earless cat has passed on to the happy hunting grounds. She was such cantankerous old bitch that I had to put up with her, for her shear will to survive. After her cancerous ears were cut off, she lived another ten years, and was 18 years old at the end. Old and senile, she got her final revenge on life and her human masters by pissing anywhere she felt like. On subject, a .38 caliber Keith type semi-wadcutter was the instrument that ended her tormented health problems. I buried her in Cactus gulch, one of my favorite shooting spots.

Nevada duke, over and out.

Banned
    Nevada Duke

While you're complimenting folks about bullet mould designs don't forget 45 2.1, oldfeller, many others. To single out one person, because you're having great results with that particular bullet doesn't encourage others to keep designing more new moulds. The current moulds being made now, some even have been shipped to their buyers, weren't designed by the great El Supremo. Let's give credit all the ways around. For your information I don't design bullets or moulds. I happen to have had great success with a few moulds from other designers. In fact some of the super shooting heavy 8mm's I've shot from my mauser happen to come to me from the gracious and now departed PB and designed by someone else that has been mentioned. A job well done Buckshot is sufficient, quit going overboard.

Joe

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Maybe Buckshot should, as moderator, difuse this situation and relate the timeline and provenance of these special order molds, since what has been stated isn't correct. The previous post belongs as a private message, not on the board.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 07-11-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Super Moderator

Enough already you guys! Sheesh.

...............Let's just leave this alone. No one is handing out a prize for getting in the last word. Cool it.

The end.

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance