RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: .223 or 40 S&W

Boolit Bub

.223 or 40 S&W

I have 3 9mm semi-autos, a S&W Model 28, and a Marlin .357 magnum lever action rifle.

I'm looking for one more caliber to use the would be accurate out to 200 yds. I've been looking at AR-15 in .223 and have also been looking at 40 S&W beacause I can get pistol and rifle.

I'm interested in what your opinion is. I've been told that the AR-15 in .223 doesn't particuarly like cast boolits.

Or is their a better caliber than the ones I'm looking at??

Thanks for the read.

Boolit Master
    If you want to extend your range, then definately get an AR-15. I haven't shot cast out of a 223, so can't comment on it being cast friendly. But in terms of shooting small groups, very mild recoil and inexpensive handloads, it's tough to beat an AR chambered in .223/5.56. In practiced hands the AR is capable out to 600 yds.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried cast in .223 but there are a few posts here abouts by those who do and shoot them from an AR15. If I were to try cast in one of my AR's I would like to build an upper for the 6.5 Grendel...that looks to me to be a good cast caliber. It has a very good reputation on deer.

Boolit Master
    One thing to note on how friendly (or not) the AR-15 is to cast is what the barrel twist is. If you get an AR with a 1-7 twist, odds are it'll be more challenging to get it to be cast friendly than with a slower twist. The fastest twist I'd want in an AR for cast is 1-9, and slower still would be better for cast.

Boolit Master
    What about bullet stabilization? You aren't getting nearly the RPMs with boolits for any given barrel twist rate because you can't drive a boolit as fast as a bullet. Both bullets and boolits of the same weight will require the same RPM for stabilization.

Boolit Buddy
    Wait, you want the .40 for shooting out to 200 yards?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    What about bullet stabilization? You aren't getting nearly the RPMs with boolits for any given barrel twist rate because you can't drive a boolit as fast as a bullet. Both bullets and boolits of the same weight will require the same RPM for stabilization.
    The issue isn't just a bullets weight, but it's length. A shorter bullet needs less spin to stabalize than a longer bullet, and due to both the density and shape of cast bullets, they are generally shorter than jacketed bullets.

A 1-9 twist will stabalize most 22 jacketed bullets, it's the super long ones such as hornadys 75 gr a-max that really needs a 1-8 twist to stabalize, or even the 1-7 twist for the shorter barrels. But then the 75 a-max is really too long to seat in a 223 case and fit in an AR-15 magazine. My SWAG is that a 1-9 will both stabalize a 70 gr cast bullet, and allow higher velocities as they twist rate isn't trying to tear the bullet apart the same way a 1-7 would.

I've stabalized 55gr jacketed bullets in a 1-14 twist 218 mashburn bee, and given it was a 10" handgun barrel, velocities off the top of my head were in the 2400 fps range. If I were to build an AR-15 for shooting cast I'd honestly choose a 1-12 twist if possible. It will be much more friendly to cast, and I find 50-55gr jacketed bullets more often than not do everything I want in a 223. But most AR's built these days are 1-9, 1-8 and 1-7 twist. I think 1-9 is the best compromise though it's a compromise towards jacketed bullet performance, not cast performance.