RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 8mm Lebel load data?

mace2364

8mm Lebel load data?

Hi All,

I am currently trying to reload for my Berthier. I would like to use bullets cast from my 8mm Karabiner mold I got from midsouth. The problem is that the bullets I'm getting from this mold are around 235grs, and I can't find any load data for a bullet that heavy in this cartridge. On the plus side, the weights on these aren't too far off the original "Balle M" loading. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by mace2364; 06-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.

A couple things.
    The 8x50R groove diameter is usually over 0.326, generally around 0.3275.

As far as powders and charges for cast boolits, a starting load for a jacketed bullet close to the same weight with one of the faster rifle powders will probably be safe.

Here's a place to look:
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=20
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...f=152&t=113502
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

mace2364
    This is the problem, I can't even find any load data for jacketed bullets over 225gr. The original "Balle M" loading for the 8x50R Lebel was 232 grs(flat nose, flat base), so it can be done. I just can't find any data

mace2364
    Hmmm,

So the plot thickens a tad. I pulled some bullets from some old french surplus ammo. The bullets weigh about 235 gr. I don't know too much about French ammunition head stamps, but it looks like these were made in 1940. They measure at .326-.327.

Also, my cast bullets measure at .328-.329 unsized. So I think if I could come up with some data, I could probably load these, though I would probably need to size them.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Mace, I use the 205gr. 329 bullet for the M95 steyr, as cast,dip lube with 45/45/10, gc. and 13 gr. promo, military brass converted to boxer primer. It shoots better than I can see over those berthier sights out of 2 of my 3 berthiers, 2 carbines and 1 long rifle. The one carbine has a blunderbuss muzzle, bullets kind of rattle down the bore. Your 329 bullet should work unsized depending on your bore. I enjoy shooting mine with cast boolits far more than with military loads, much less painfull, Plus its more accurate.

Stubck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2364 View Post
    Hi All,

I am currently trying to reload for my Berthier. I would like to use bullets cast from my 8mm Karabiner mold I got from midsouth. The problem is that the bullets I'm getting from this mold are around 235grs, and I can't find any load data for a bullet that heavy in this cartridge. On the plus side, the weights on these aren't too far off the original "Balle M" loading. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    I use the Lee 175gn 8mm Mauser bullet gas checked to .323 with 23.0gns of 5744 for my M1892 Berthier Artillery Carbine with good results.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Buddy
    Like others say-slug your bore.
    Chances are you will be stuck with .329 mold from Lee.

I'm loading 8x50Lebel and this was the only boolit I could use and close bolt withoult GC hanging inside case or jamming boolit in the rifling.
    Not to mention I need .327+ size cast...

Seems like a perfect match..... sounds like the way to go with an inexpensive off the shelf mold....... did you have any issues with bullet seating? Seems like most folks use Lee 8x50r Rebel dies, and the expander ball is what .323? were your boolits swaged down upon seating?
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_milsurp View Post
    Seems like a perfect match..... sounds like the way to go with an inexpensive off the shelf mold....... did you have any issues with bullet seating? Seems like most folks use Lee 8x50r Rebel dies, and the expander ball is what .323? were your boolits swaged down upon seating?
    I picked up a custom M die expander from Buffalo Arms pretty quickly after starting to cast for a Lebel. Proper sized bullets shaved lead badly when using just the Lee dies.

Thanks....about what I thought!
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by mace2364 View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks
    I know this post is quite a few years old but I have been reloading for my Berth for years. I have had really good results using the same cast bullets that I use for my Mausers. its a 175 gr round nose from a lee mold. For the Berth I don't size them and I use to use alox but have recently started podercoating my cast boolits. I have found 15-17 grains of unique gives me a very accurate and pleasant to shoot round. My Berth is a carbine and I have seen no other like it. The barrel is only 151/2 inches long and the rifle weighs just under 6 pounds. A full power load out of my carbine is very unpleasant to shoot, but the flame and muzzle blast that comes out the barrel is cool looking.