Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for caster

Boolit Mold

Looking for caster

I hope I am posting in the right place.

Greetings. I'm new here. I am into collecting and shooting old surplus military arms. I hand load, mostly with jacketed bullets, and I just started experimenting with cast bullets.

Unfortunately, for different reasons, I cannot cast, so I buy commercially available cast bullets for what I need, mostly gas checked for rifles, and coated or plated for pistols.

There are a few rifles in my collection that require bullets of larger diameters as they have larger bores. For instance, my arisaka T38 needs 0.248" and my SKS needs 0.313". Are there commercial casters who can make those "odd" size bullets? I reckon I will need to pay more, but the price would need to be with reason.

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Thanks.

-TL

Boolit Grand Master

Is the T38 .248" as you wrote, or .268"? My SKS needs the same size boolit. If you want to stay with jacketed the Herter's 150gr load shoot very well in my SKS, but not quite as good as a .313" cast boolit.
    There are some cast boolit vendor in the Vendor section so you might want to contact them.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Is the T38 .248" as you wrote, or .268"? My SKS needs the same size boolit. If you want to stay with jacketed the Herter's 150gr load shoot very well in my SKS, but not quite as good as a .313" cast boolit.
    There are some cast boolit vendor in the Vendor section so you might want to contact them.
    Yes, you are right. My T38 needs 0.268" bullets, not 0.248". It keyholes if I feed it with 0.264" jacketed bullets. I will take a looksee in the vendor section. Thanks.

-TL

Boolit Master

I know that Jerry at Carolina Cast bullets offers different diameter options, give him a call or email and see what he can do. I suspect other small to moderate casting companies could also help you with custom sizing. Tim

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tward View Post
    I know that Jerry at Carolina Cast bullets offers different diameter options, give him a call or email and see what he can do. I suspect other small to moderate casting companies could also help you with custom sizing. Tim
    I checked out their website. It is indeed a good suggestion. Thanks.

-TL

If you only need a few for experimentation, you could look into the swapping and selling section, or the boolit exchange. I have acquired a few cast boolits that way, that I didn't need a dedicated mold for. If you have stuff to trade (read: reloadable brass) or just anything shooting or reloading related, you can sometimes make a good deal on boolits from other members. Depending on where you live, you might be able to work out an ongoing deal with a caster who lives near your area.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    pm sent
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black