RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Which kind of grip shape do you prefer?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Round Butt

66 30.28%
  • Square Butt

65 29.82%
  • Either one is fine.

53 24.31%
  • I prefer a particular shape on a particular frame.

28 12.84%
  • All S&W's feel awkward.

6 2.75%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round Butt Vs. Square Butt S&W's

Round Butt Vs. Square Butt S&W's

Okay, I just gotta ask. Does anybody actually LIKE the Roundbutt N-Frame S&W's? On the K and L frame, round vs square doesn't make much of a difference in the way it feels in my hand, but there's a HUGE difference for me when it comes to N-frames. I've actually passed up N-frame Smith's I wanted because they had round butts and that makes them hard to find decent grips for (I also hate finger groove grips), so am I alone in this? Do people actually like these?
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

Boolit Buddy
    If you aren't looking for nostalgia, I find that round butt N frames tame recoil far nicer than square. Nobody could argue which one looks better, though.

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of N frames did you pass up?

It won't tame recoil very well if you have to get a grip that forces you to hold it higher in your hand, which is my main problem. I must be the only person who likes Magma service grips, I guess.
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

I passed on a .44 Special Model 24 Lew Horton case hardened model because I didn't like the round butt. It was $550 or so at a gunshow, which seemed like a good price.

Boolit Buddy
    That would have been a good deal. What length barrel did it have on it?

I think it was 6.5". They did those ones with 4" and 6.5" instead of 6" I think. It looked nice.

Boolit Buddy
    I have rather large hands, I find the big frame revolvers fit me better in round butt. Square butt .44s flip skyward way too quickly for my comfort.

Boolit Master

Miklic grips

A friend of mine just bought a S&W 625 with Miklic style grips and I must say they do feel and look good. They are the only round gripe that I like. I may not be spelling Jerry's name right but I am too tired to look it up.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not familiar with those style grips. My revos either have pachmayr or stock service deals.
    I must confess wood round butt grips look a bit odd.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard tell that you can easily cut square butt grips to round butt configuration. Obviously going back to square butt would be a bit difficult.

I bought one of those Hogue grips that come on the Jerry Miculek 625's in hopes it would go well with my 657 Mountain Gun, but I'm not very fond of it. It's a little thin. I got it for the cost of a Hogue Rubber Grip. I guess the guy who bought it at the store wanted the rubber grip more, and the store did the swap for him.

I don't know who makes them, MasS&W, but they sell 'em in Brownells, Dillon Precision, and on Clark Custom Guns. Brownells says they're made by Bang, but I thought they were made by Hogue, since mine came in a Hogue box with Hogue hardware.

Boolit Buddy
    They seem like your standard run of the mill wood grips, but with ergonomics in mind. I might pick up a set for a future 686 purchase. (I buy guns to fit holsters and grips on hand, not the other way around :P)

Groo here
    I always try to get round butt frames when I can..
    It is much easier to fit the grip to your hand with less frame to get in the way.
    Look at ruger and dan wession,,, just a stub frame so the grip can be cut any which way.

Boolit Buddy

The best for me is a rd butt, with Herrets Jordon Trooprs custom fit to your hand.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

I honestly like the N-frame square best, but with K and L frames, it doesn't seem to make too much difference. If anything, on K and L, I prefer round, which is odd. I thing it has to do with the angles of the different grips. I wonder why S&W didn't make a universal grip size across K, L, N, and X when they changed the N?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I put SB adaptor grips on all my RB Smiffs.

Boolit Master

Stub frame

Groo, the S&W 625 my friend bought also has a stub for a grip frame. The grips feel good to me but then, I have rather small hands. My friend bought a set of rubber grips for the pistol before he left the store. Nothing takes out the sting of stiff recoil like rubber.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Over the years I've gone from being a fan of the big square frame targets to loving the roundbutt N frames. If you need a set of superb stocks for an N frame Smith you can't do any better than Kim Ahrends. They make stocks that are better than the factorys Nowadays I find the huge square stocks just bulky and annoying. I'll take the round butt everytime.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!