Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 452374 brass four cavity solid or hollow point

Boolit Mold
    The eagle has landed, I can get use to this.

Boolit Buddy
    The wife found the little white box in the mail this afternoon. Looks like I'm in the dog house again. I need to make some time for this new mold this weekend. Once again thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Boolit Mold
    Got mine today - really really beautiful! However, I seem to have an issue, which may not be important, where, with the Penta pins installed, the two pieces do not join together well - they rock back and forth. This does not happen with the other two sets of pins. I also tried just putting in one Penta pin with three of the other ones - still has the same problem. Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts?

EDIT: It appears that one of the four Penta pins works fine, but all of the other three exhibit the same issue, where the two pieces of the mold don't appear to close all the way way any one of them is installed.
    Last edited by randoma; 02-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice little box in the mail today. Set is a work of machine art, can't wait to try it out. Thanks to all involved!!!!
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Banned

Randoma, check to see if the pins are in the right side of the pentas. One side is recessed so the pins are recessed into the shaft. You will see what I am talking about by looking at the shaft that the HP is made from.

Apparently the shipping time to Canada is the same as to the US! I received my 4 cavity solid mould today. Now for a good cleaning and fire up the pot!

Boolit Bub
    Received my mold in perfect shape. Thanks Miha.

Boolit Master
    loosen the locating pins a bit on the penta pins. The penta pins may not be fully seating in the mold block if the locating pins are snug. They almost need to wiggle a little.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Randoma, check to see if the pins are in the right side of the pentas. One side is recessed so the pins are recessed into the shaft. You will see what I am talking about by looking at the shaft that the HP is made from.
    Yes, the pins are in the recess.. I've also tried putting them into both sides of the mold with the same results. I really don't understand the problem as I've measured the diameter of the Penta pins and the other pins and they're all the same diameter +/-0.0005" or so. I'm thinking there may be a burr at the edge of the machined part but I can't see anything or feel anything with my fingers.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    loosen the locating pins a bit on the penta pins. The penta pins may not be fully seating in the mold block if the locating pins are snug. They almost need to wiggle a little.
    Thanks, Oreo - that made a huge difference. I don't understand why the Penta pins' locating pins need to be so loose while the others can be tight.

Got my mold today also.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by randoma View Post
    Thanks, Oreo - that made a huge difference. I don't understand why the Penta pins' locating pins need to be so loose while the others can be tight.
    By the way, what is the fat pin with the hollow in it for? Also, is there any reason to put the locating pins in the left mold block as opposed to the right mold block? Or vice-versa?

Boolit Master
    It's just dumb luck that some pins can be tight and work while others need to be more loose. It has nothing to do with the penta tip. The real issue is a matter of machining tolerances on the scale of .0001" or so with the holes and threads for the locating pins. As I understand it, its real hard to hold tolerances at that precision.

I just use my molds with all the pins loose. They all work better that way.
    Last edited by Oreo; 02-03-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    By the way, what is the fat pin with the hollow in it for?
    You probably found the top punch.

Also, is there any reason to put the locating pins in the left mold block as opposed to the right mold block? Or vice-versa?
    Try to keep the exposed pins to the off side where your sprue overflow goes.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks 45 2.1 for all of your work on this buy. Just received my mold today also. Unfortunately the wife stayed home sick from work and accepted the package. Had to explain my purchase, but this is more useful than a few hundred dollars of decorations.

Boolit Bub
    Yahoo, received mine today also. Going out of town tomorrow for a few days, just dumb luck! I won't be able to try it out until this weekend. It really is in a class by itself compared to my steel and aluminum molds. It's a work of art. Can't wait to heat & pour...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by randoma View Post
    Yes, the pins are in the recess.. I've also tried putting them into both sides of the mold with the same results. I really don't understand the problem as I've measured the diameter of the Penta pins and the other pins and they're all the same diameter +/-0.0005" or so. I'm thinking there may be a burr at the edge of the machined part but I can't see anything or feel anything with my fingers.

Put them in the mold.
    Preheat the mold on hot plate on working temp.
    Give a mold few dry runs - pins will seat inn.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine.

Boolit Buddy

Got mine. Cleaned mold. Now the pot is heating up along with the mold as i type this. Another good day

Boolit Master
    Still waiting.....

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast