RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Glock or Springfield XP

Glock or Springfield XP

Looks like I may have to start carrying for work. I work for a security company and have been "promoted" to Watch Commander. Which is just a glorified dispatcher. But now they want me to take on a Supervisor role and go out on the street. Nothing final yet but looks like I need a pistol. I have a Kimber 1911 but am not allowed to carry a single action. I have considered a Glock but really would like to be able to shoot cast for practice anyway. I know the Glocks are good weapons but have heard bad things about them and cast.

I dont know much about the Springfield XP, are they good for both cast and jacketed? Do you recommend a 40 Cal. or 45 ACP. I am set up for reloading the 45 and have an old H&G 200 gr. semi wad cutter mold that I really like in my Kimber.

I guess what I'm saying is I need some advice.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    My Glock 21SF shoots cast very well. 200 rounds of my Lee 200gr SWC and only a couple swipes with a brush to clean it. I do load it rather light for practice. 4.2 gr Bullseye.

My Glock 22 with factory barrel does not like cast at all. But my storm lake aftermarket barrel handles the cast just fine in 40.

I have a Kimber 1911 TLE-RL2 and its a great gun but if I was putting my life on the line I would grab the Glock 21 or 22. They always goes bang and carries lots of rounds, theirs a reason why its the most popular police gun on the market. A Glock 22 with full power loads can be a hanfull, the 21sf handles recoil better.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat1052 View Post
    Looks like I may have to start carrying for work. I work for a security company and have been "promoted" to Watch Commander. Which is just a glorified dispatcher. But now they want me to take on a Supervisor role and go out on the street. Nothing final yet but looks like I need a pistol. I have a Kimber 1911 but am not allowed to carry a single action. I have considered a Glock but really would like to be able to shoot cast for practice anyway. I know the Glocks are good weapons but have heard bad things about them and cast.

I dont know much about the Springfield XP, are they good for both cast and jacketed? Do you recommend a 40 Cal. or 45 ACP. I am set up for reloading the 45 and have an old H&G 200 gr. semi wad cutter mold that I really like in my Kimber.

I guess what I'm saying is I need some advice.

Swamprat

Boolit Master
    I've got a couple of XD 45's, one my wife carries. Like them.

Ordered my wife hers after she tried 7 or 8 different weapons in different calibers. She liked the XD in .45 the best, got the compact. I shot it at an IPSC match just for fun and liked it enough to order myself one with a thumb safety. It's my beat around pistol I carry during SAR missions. Don't care if I scratch it up or get it wet, muddy. Shoots well. Only problem is they don't like a bullet with a shoulder, like a SWC. The angle of the bullet in the magazine hits the back of the ejecting case causing feed problems. I use Miha's 200g .45 HP and it eats them up. (No shoulder) Goes bang every time. Has cocked and loaded indicators.

I dislike carrying a 1911 for rough use (Technical Rescue, Water Rescue, in and out of helicopter, truck, ATV, work, etc), always feel bad when I scratch one up. The XD, not so much. In fact I put coarse sandpaper on my grip for wet, muddy hands. Works awesome and looks nice too. If you're used to a 1911 the thumb safety is nice. When I shot my wife's at the match, I noticed that I would sweep my thumb down looking for the safety as I was used to it being there. Ordered the version with safety and glad I did. I don't mind the added safety feature as it doesn't slow me down at all.

Perhaps you could go to a range and rent a Glock and XD & try them both.

Good luck.

TH
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

I was forced to carry a Glock 22 the last year and a half before I retired. Now that I can carry any pistol I want, I own 6 Springfield XD's, and no Glocks.

My XD's are in 9x19, 357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 acp. Three of the 9x19's are Sub-Compacts (3"), the 357 Sig/.40 S&W and the .45 are Service (4"), and I also have an XD-m in 9x19 (4").

I see that you're in California, so probably limited to the 10 round magazine in all calibers. If I was in your position, I would opt for the .45 acp XD. It's hard to beat 11 rounds of .45 acp, except in states where you can own the 13 round magazines, so 14 rounds of .45 acp. They won't feed SWC bullets, though. There are plenty of other molds available, so don't let the mold dictate what you buy.

My XD-m in 9x19 carries 20 rounds, 19 in the magazine.

As Triggerhappy said, if you can rent both guns and shoot them side by side, that will give you an indication of which is best for you.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I own and love my xd in .45 and it is also the compact. If I was going for a duty weapon for open carry I would go for the tactical it adds a inch of barrel and sight radius. The newer updated xdm can shoot swc designs with no problem and like others scratching it of banging it up just adds character to it. I also added skate board tape to the grips and it was the best addition I've ever made to a gun. Plus I think it is a mean looking gun.
    I've never shot a glock 21 but it is a huge gun and so is the grip. I have short fingers and it'd hard to get a proper grip.
    I would try them both out and see what shoots the best for you. Te smith and wesson m&p would be another good option for you

Thanks for the replys, theres a range nearby that rents pistols and I'll definitely do that before I buy one. That and try some of the officers pistols at work. I'm leaning toward the XD but do want to shoot both.

Thanks again,
    Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a glock 17 that I have owned for years and it always goes bang when I pull the trigger but I shoot it rarely not because of accuracy issues but I do not like the feel of the pistol. If is was not so reliable I would have sold it years ago. I have handled and shot several different XDs and like the feel of them in my hand and a buddy of mine has several of them and his accuracy with them out of the box is impressive to say the least. If I was to buy a replacement I would look at the XD very hard. I however, mostly carry a Rock Island officers model 1911. This Philippine made gun is a truly marvelous gun that I feel confident with.

Boolit Buddy

Either will serve you well. I like glocks because they are simple. They digest cast bullets without any problem in my experience. I have shot literally thousands of cast bullets thru mine with no more leading than anything else. Bullet fit is still king in this arena.

As to calibers, i have completely abandoned the .40 SW. Too hard to make it shoot accurately. You cant go wrong with 9mm or 45 acp. The 9 tends to be easier to shoot. Ammo is cheaper so you are more likely to practice with it. The 45 is a great round and my personal favorite but you have to learn how to handle it. Not hard, just take practice and ammo is more expensive even if you load your own.

Nothing wrong with the XD.

Shoot both. Buy what you like best.

-john

Boolit Master

I like Glocks better, but the suggestion to try both and see which one you like is a good suggestion.

The Glock is what all the others try to copy.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are used to the grip angle of a 1911, the XD is much closer. When I pull up a Glock,
    I am looking at the top of the slide. One of many reasons I'll never own one.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.