WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder suppliers between Detroit and Chicago

Boolit Buddy

Powder suppliers between Detroit and Chicago

My wife and I will be making this trip in about 3 weeks. I'd love to know if there are any places to stock up on surplus powders, or if not, then a good deal on cannister powders. That is, a good deal compared to Canada. I sure wish Jeff Bartlett lived closer. Been down his way and didn't do business with him, but it would have been excellent. Ron.D
    Last edited by Ron.D; 06-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Boolit Master

Just curious. What is the procedure for carrying powder across the border? Is it different depending on which direction you are going (into Canada or into US)?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Jim, the laws are pretty weird. I can bring in 8 Kilos (over 17lbs) of gunpowder and 5000 primers per person, but can't order and import a scope by mail. I don't know about importing from Canada into the States.

Boolit Buddy
    Check with Pats reloading; I believe he's in Ohio. Not between the two cities, but closer than KY.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Crowbeaner. Thanks for the headsup. A little too far out of my way, but some good powders at good prices. An "A" for effort for sure. Ron.D

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Ron , it's time to fill the bus up with people and your wallet with lots of cash . On your way back to maple leaf country you'll want to stop by a little town about fifteen miles north of Kalamazoo . The town is called Otsego and I believe the exit from US131 is 49-B . That exit will get you rolling west on what will turn into Allegan street and you would be looking for 304 West Allegan and a store that has a sign "Schanz Supply"

The last time I was down there Bullseye was just short of ninety bucks for eight pounds . If I remember right 2400 was about ninety-five bucks , I don't remember exactly but the slower powders were in the area of a hundred thirty-five per eight pounds . Winchester primers were thirty dollars a thousand if that helps you any .

You could borrow a bus or motor home and fill it will friends and kinfolk doncha know .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Jack. Thanks for the headsup. They don't list smokeless powders on their website, but from your post it sounds like they carry them for sure. We won't be in a bus, but at least we can add a few lbs. to our load and it's not much out of our way. I love saving the hazmat and about half the taxes, not to mention the better price to begin with. Thanks again pard. Ron. D

Boolit Master
    I don't want to rain on any parades but you may be able to import that into Canada, but it is illegal to export them from the USA and they are doing random checks at border crossings. Last time I checked it was only legal to export limited amounts of Black Powder. You risk being barred from the USA permanently.

Glad to help Ron , they are a regional distributor so they will have powder when you step in the door .

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    MT. Thanks for the warning. I'll check into it for sure, it's certainly not my intention to run any risks of breaking any laws. I'm a pretty straight guy. Ron.D

Boolit Master
    It's Obamas way of tackling international terrorism, no components can be exported out of the USA without export paperwork. Dies, measures, etc. are okay for now, just no powder, primers, bullets, etc......this is a US law and has nothing to do with Canada customs. I have heard that they set-up on the US side and check vehicles leaving the US. I believe that even scopes are a "no go"....all because of us international terrorists here!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi MT. I checked into it and you're absolutely right. I won't be bringing any such stuff home with me for sure. I didn't realize I'd be running that far afoul of their laws. I thank you for heading me off before I wound up in serious trouble. From what I've read, they'd probably take 5,000-10,000 primers and 20-30 lbs. of gunpowder pretty seriously. Thanks again. Ron.D

Ron , they can't charge you for stopping and gawking at all the stuff .... or can they ? You did stop didn't ya ??

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless you drool.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    We just came back a few min. ago. No powder, no primers, but I didn't run afoul of the law either. The really good news is that we had a great time in Chicago. What a beautiful city. Clean, friendly and great architecture. Got to see 3 really good blues bands and eat some excellent food. Saw the Cubs in Wriggley field, and they beat the Mets 6-1. More than a bit off topic, but I did do a little shopping in Cabela's and brought back a couple of legal things. Thanks again for the headsup. Ron.D