RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan Wax?

Boolit Master

Japan Wax?

Hello, everyone. Once in a while, I like to re-read Phill Sharpe's Complete Guide To Handloading Book. I was going thru the chapter on Bullet lubricants, and came across Japan wax. Phill states "The so-called Japan wax is a vegetable compound made from the Carnauba Palm tree of South America. Japan imports the wax-like oil exuded by this tree and turns it into a hard wax." He goes on to say: "although excellent in it's pure state, it is still a bit too hard for use in other than a pressure machine like the Ideal, Bond, or Starr. During the period when the government loaded the lead-bullet gallery loads for the Springfield-shortly after the World War-pure Japan wax was used." He also states: "Winchester used this wax for years."
    Is this Japan wax the same as pure Carnauba wax Randy Rat sells? Having purchased a pound of Carnauba from Randy, I cannot believe this stuff could be used in a lubsizer in it's pure state..it is so hard and brittle. If differen't..has anyone used this stuff?

Boolit Master

Japan wax is not anything like carnauba. I thought it was more like bayberry wax, but wikipedia says it come from Japanese sumac.

Boolit Master
    I might be wrong but I believe that Japan wax is used with varnishes as a drying agent to speed up the drying or curing of varnish. Frank

Banned

Japan Wax comes from the skin of Sumac berries, not palm leaves. I have no experience with it as a lube ingredient.

Gear

Japan wax is the white waxy fat that comes from the fruit of several Asiatic sumacs. I have a cple small containers of it still and it makes great bullet lube additive if you can still find it. The ones I have are from the 1960's and their still good. Its the only lube additive I use for my high velocity loads and leaves a residue thats easy to clean with no barrel leading up to around 2800fps velocity. I add 1.5oz of Japan wax to 10oz of Bullshops Speed Green lube and its incredible stuff.
    Last edited by mikenbarb; 06-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master

Characteristics, Specifications, Regulatory Information

Natural Japan wax Characteristics

The major difference between this vegetable wax and other waxes is its content of 4 - 5 % fatty acid called japanic acid that results in more viscosity in the wax. Japan wax comes from the fruit of the tree, Rhus Succedanea.

Natural Japan wax Specifications
    Color Pale Cream
    Melting Point 50 ~ 56ºC
    Penetration at 77ºC 6 ~ 20
    Flash Point 300ºC min.
    Acid Value 6 ~ 30
    Ester Number 194 ~ 200
    Saponification Value 205 ~225
    Iodine Value 4 ~ 18
    Unsaponifiable Matter 1 ~ 4

Fatty Acid Composition
    C 14:0 myristic acid 0.3 %
    C 16:0 palmitic acid 80.2 %
    C 18:0 stearic acid 7.4%
    C 18:1 oleic acid 4.1 %
    C 20:0 japanic acid 1.8 %
    C 20:1 japanic acid 2.2 %

Boolit Master

I wonder if there are more than one supply or origin for Japan wax... If you want to buy it I think we would have to do a group buy for a Ton or so

ARAKI WAX CO. USA Sales Office
    1778 Ala Moana Blvd. Suite 4013
    Honolulu, HI 96815 USA
    Email: info@japanwax.com
    bb@japanwax.com
    Fax: 808-955-8650
    Phone: 808-927-3517
    www.japanwax.com

It's a bit expensive, or available in large quantity. Pick one.

Item # W8988-500, Japan Wax $28.09
    CAS Number 8001-39-6
    Quantity 500 gm
    http://chemicals.citychemical.com/it...origin=keyword

Item #65-0035 Japan Wax Flakes 44.09 lbs. Carton Melting Point 45 - 55 ºC
    http://waxes.frankbross.com/viewitem...axes?forward=1

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    I might be wrong but I believe that Japan wax is used with varnishes as a drying agent to speed up the drying or curing of varnish. Frank
    I believe you may be confusing this with Japan Drier, which was used many, many years ago to help dry various finishes, especially linseed oil based finishes.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I believe you may be confusing this with Japan Drier, which was used many, many years ago to help dry various finishes, especially linseed oil based finishes.
    Many many years???????? I still use Japan drier for spar and other varnishes.

Also use "Colors in Japan" for tinting lacquers and other finishes. That is very finely ground natural and made pigments suspended in a fast drying hydrocarbon "Japan" base. A little goes a long way! I have 22 different Japan colors in my shop.

banger

In East Asia, in particular in Japan, traditional candle fuel (also called Japan wax) was produced, among other sumac plants, from Rhus succedanea crushed fruits rather than beeswax or animal fats. Japan wax is a byproduct of lacquer manufacture. It is not a true wax but a fat that contains 10-15% palmitin, stearin, and olein with about 1% japanic acid (1,21-heneicosanedioic acid). Japan wax is sold in flat squares or disks and has a rancid odor. It is extracted by expression and heat, or by the action of solvents. The fatty-acid methyl ester of the kernel oil meets all of the major biodiesel requirements in the USA (ASTM D 6751-02, ASTM PS 121-99), Germany (DIN V 51606) and European Union (EN 14214).[2]

It is used as a medicinal plant in India.

The fruits are edible though their consumption is not recommended because of the general toxicity of the plant.

A byproduct of the manufacture of Japan wax is the antioxidant fisetin which has some anticancer and antiviral activity.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Asiatic TAC1 super high performance boolit lube with Japan wax slick as a Ninja and leaves your bore cleaner than the snow from the top of Mount Fuji.
    I'm willing to try some who else is in? After Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying some "Japan Wax" Randy.

It's been over 50 years since I saw any used. One ol' boy way back then had 'his' own homemade lube and it was a good one too! A lot like FWFL only it had Japan Wax in it. So I wouldn't mind some experimentation with Japan Wax.

Eutectic

Boolit Master
    randyrat,
    You have to throw in a blurb about how quickly it kills zombies. I might be able to get a cameo appearance for it in a low budget zombie movie for it, just happens to be one shooting in the building next door.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I'd be in for some if a group buy started up.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

I called Ross Waxes for pricing. They have to get back to me Friday.
    Minimum order is one 44.9 lbs / 20 kilos.

Oh, yeah, for 357RUGER, it kills zombies. Slowly - from an allergic reaction to the Sumac.

Boolit Master

It il be ZOMBE green

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It il be ZOMBE green
    Sign me up!
    I got the boolits ready for some of it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Asiatic TAC1 super high performance boolit lube with Japan wax slick as a Ninja and leaves your bore cleaner than the snow from the top of Mount Fuji.
    Let us know the cost/pound. I would be in fora couple pounds if not too high. I use waxes for various other wood/metal finishing and lubricating things other than boolits. I PC all my slugs now, but I have a big collection of lubes and waxes I use.

Let us know.

banger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast