Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Black Powder Dealer in Houston Area

Boolit Man

Black Powder Dealer in Houston Area

I've recently used up my supply of BP, and was looking to buy some locally in the Houston, Texas area, but evidently it's now illegal, or some such nonsense, for dealers to stock it inside city limits. Does anyone know of a local source for the real stuff in the area, or am I going to have to order it on-line?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

Boolit Buddy
    There are so many federal regs and paper work for storing the stuff on a commercial basis that most dealers don't want to be bothered with stocking BP. Its not worth it for the amount they sell. They can stock the fake BP without the hassel.

Your best bet is to buy on line. Several dealers will give free shipping and even pay the hazmat, if you buy 25 pounds. See if you can get a couple other BP shooters to go in with you on an order.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Powder inc sells in 5lb lots, and Grafs will ship you one pound if that's what you want to do.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Several dealers will give free shipping and even pay the hazmat, if you buy 25 pounds.
    Moondawg, got some of those dealer names?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy

Bass Pro shop at 288 and 6 carry it as does the one in Katy and I understand there's a sporting goods store in an old movie theater in Pasadena that carries it. I understand Houston had a bad fireworks explosion in the past and their fire code prohibits it.
    I'll be working the Pasadena gun show this week end but no black there unless you find an odd pound someone is bringing in I'll be near the back and the lady I work for has some muzzle loading accessories, Lee reloading stuff, powder and a few rifles and pistols. Drop by and talk if you come.

Boolit Man

Thanks for all the replies

I've got to go to Bass Pro tonight anyway, to buy smokeless powder and primers. It's nice to be only 7 miles from the one in Katy, although it's cost me an incredible amount of money...
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by THerbert View Post
    I've got to go to Bass Pro tonight anyway, to buy smokeless powder and primers. It's nice to be only 7 miles from the one in Katy, although it's cost me an incredible amount of money...
    I love that store. Easterners get this weird look on their face when I tell them that I buy my black powder at the mall. Hahahaha....

Hey Tom:

Search 10-Ring on Jones Road houston

They carry black powder including Swiss

They are primarily a reloader's supply business and also have a few guns

Dave

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dave roelle View Post
    Hey Tom:

Search 10-Ring on Jones Road houston

They carry black powder including Swiss

They are primarily a reloader's supply business and also have a few guns

Dave
    Old thread revival....was at 10-Ring today. They are only stocking GOEX.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

I order all of my BP in bulk. I got tired of no variety and having to drive and go out of my way for it. I burn about 2 or 3 pounds a month, and when you split hazmat up over several pounds, it's no longer an issue.

10 Ring are great people. The reloading resources around Houston is one of the reasons I miss living a thousand miles further south.

The place in Pasadena is Pasadena Gun Center at 206 Shaw, a block or so north of 225. Also 40 years ago my .38 Long Cox (375x45-70) was chambered and barreled there. They once put together a 6-06 for me. Refinished a 1909. Don't know how they are these days but when J.D. ran the place it was a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    10 Ring are great people. The reloading resources around Houston is one of the reasons I miss living a thousand miles further south.

The place in Pasadena is Pasadena Gun Center at 206 Shaw, a block or so north of 225. Also 40 years ago my .38 Long Cox (375x45-70) was chambered and barreled there. They once put together a 6-06 for me. Refinished a 1909. Don't know how they are these days but when J.D. ran the place it was a treasure.
    I haven't been there in a long time, but I do have a 1911 that man built. Shoots well.