Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee/Midway TL309-230-5R

Boolit Master

What was the load? This looks like a great group for beginning load development, even if it shot low.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I finally got a chance to do some shooting today. It was cast from pure lino and shot unsized w/ 45/45/10 lube. This is 15 shots at 100 yards:

The bad news is that this was a cautious starting load and it didn't have enough gas pressure to cycle the action. The other bad news is that I wasn't aiming at that target square. I was aiming at the one 12" directly above it. This is on a rifle where for some unknown reason it has taken almost all of the vertical travel of the scope to get it sighted in.
    What load did you use?
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master
    10 grains of 2400
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

The weight of this boolit is heavy enough to cause this I think. I have the same problem and more so when shooting the 240gr jacketed. Guess this is why the 20 moa scope bases are made.
    Last edited by leadman; 06-29-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    THP, that is a great starting group. I noticed the drop with 11.4 grains of 1680 at 150 yards, but not 12 inches. I had to aim about 6 inches higher which could have been sighted in with the scope. I sighed in at 50 yards and am happy with that. I wouldn't use this bullet beyond 150 yards to kill anything anyway.
    I cast up 800 or so with an equal amount of the 312-155 last week. Only 100 of them loaded so far. I see my lead stockpile will take a hit shooting this 300 blackout. Just picked up a spikes tactical pistol buffer tube for the next 300 build. Consecutive numbers on the lowers.
    xacex

Boolit Master
    FWIW I think the fliers were probably my fault and not the boolet. This was the last group of the day of a full day shooting session and my main purpose was just to shoot up the last 15 rounds in the box. Having to work the charging handle after every shot probably didn't help either.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

I think this would not make a very good boolit to take out anything larger than a coyote. That might even push it.

I had cast some of a harder alloy and am sizing and installing a GC with a .311" die. This barely touches the surfaces but it does put a nice coating of Carnuba Red the entire bearing surface.
    I'm doing to switch over to 4350 and see how this does at over 2K fps. If it shoots good enough for some long range target practice I would be happy. Be cheaper than the Sierra 220gr and 240gr bullets.
    I am going to try SR4759 in the 300 Whisper and see if I can get it to shoot smaller groups at subsonic velocities.
    I have to confess I thought this boolit would be totally worthless but it is proving me wrong.
    This will be the last testing before I decide if I want to lap out the mold so the front driving band is the same as the lube grooves and rear band.
    I'm going to do some chronograhing of velocities and measuring of the drop to see if I can plug some numbers in a ballistics program and get a Ballistic Coeffecient for this boolit.
    I can only shoot it to 200 yards for now so that may limit my quest.

i know im makeing a habit of openoing old posts but im interested in useing this boolit in my 7.62x39 upper and plan on a sub sonic 950 to 1000fps load im looking for action cycleing and with a 1 in 9 twist should it be stable?
    and any powder suggestions

Cartridges are a little different
    300 blackout

7.62x39

the Lee mold drops them as

What is the maximum OAL that your rifle will handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I finally got a chance to do some shooting today. It was cast from pure lino and shot unsized w/ 45/45/10 lube. This is 15 shots at 100 yards:

The bad news is that this was a cautious starting load and it didn't have enough gas pressure to cycle the action. The other bad news is that I wasn't aiming at that target square. I was aiming at the one 12" directly above it. This is on a rifle where for some unknown reason it has taken almost all of the vertical travel of the scope to get it sighted in.
    You could switch to the Burris Signature rings with the inserts to give yourself more adjustment. I do this on .22s.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714...s-matte-medium
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

id assume since they can be loaded to mag length(2.200) that they could be used in the x39 atleast i hope so ive ordered the mold so i will see
    Last edited by leadloader; 09-01-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Any chance of using this for a .300 Win Mag in a Thompson Encore?
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

You can always try it but subsonic loads in large cases usually don't go well. If you want supersonic (above 1100 fps) you shouldn't have an issue. Of course with the short neck of a 300 win mag part of the bullet will intrude in the case.

Boolit Master
    An alloy question: since the bullet weight (and case capacity) of a 44 magnum and 7.62x39 are similar when launching this projectile (Lee TL-309-230-5R) @ similar velocity, would it make sense to cast these cruise missiles out of a 'pistol mix' (ie: soft) for ANY sort of expansion at pistol velocities?

NOTE: I don't have the cash (nor the desire) to purchase a $1500 AR blackout... but I DO have a small stable of SKS's and AK's... which is why I pose the question.

Boolit Master
    PS: 7.62x39 enthusiasts - perhaps we should move using this bullet in this cartridge to another dedicated thread, rather than clutter up this one.

Boolit Master
    PPS: WEIGHT-wise, this kinda reminds me of the old Ideal 31125 PB-Bullet.

Boolit Master
    the Purple type cleaners eat Aluminum, I believe.

Its been a little over a year since the last post on this. Has anyone come up with some good data on this bullet in a 300AAC?

I have cast some, powder coated and sized to .308. Im sure I should have went .309-.310 but .308 is the only die I have and I have read all over the place that you can load powder coated bullets like jacketed bullets so I went with .308

I want to load Subsonic but I don't have what seems to be the powder of choice (A1680). I do have MANY other powders like h110, lil Gun, 2400, blue Dot, Green dot, 800x, unique, tac, WC844 and others.

Just looking for some data.

Loading for a 16" bbl AR15 and 8.5" bbl AR15

I'd like to try this bullet out in my 300-221 Fireball. Looks like PC might be the way to go.

Here is my first attempt with the mold and powder coating. I tried the dry tumble lube and I can definitely see where the bullets rested on the screen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2973.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	97049

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast