Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Saeco Lubrisizer : Not exactly state of art

Boolit Master

Saeco Lubrisizer : Not exactly state of art

Before I even go further; I don't want a STAR and don't need a STAR. Whew... got to get that out before those STAR Mafia types take over the thread !!!!

I have a SAECO luber and a LYman 450 (upgraded to 4500 linkage). The 450 is less problematic for use , handles heat better (does not leak lube) and the Saeco is awkward to operate with its side ways handle. Add to this the dies and top punches of Saeco are outrageously priced.

So if you are considering a Saeco, think twice about it. It does not feed lube reliably or as fast as the 450 does either. I am using White Label lubes which
    are known to flow nicely.

Don't see the love in the Saeco over the Lyman. The good deal on the Saeco has proven to be a mistake. It is not an improvement over the 450 at all, more expensive for dies and certainly not as user friendly.

Called Saeco and they said: The luber is not made for heat so leakage is something I can try to fix with auto gaskets. Supposedly, their lube doesn't require heat and does not leak out.

I find if White Label 2500 lube , heated leaks and also does not flow and fill rifle lube grooves quickly, the Saeco proves itself to be a half great tool.

Boolit Master

Well, I can help out with the nose punch issues, all mine are sme price.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a older Lyman/ideal #1
    It has a similar handle position as the Seaco.
    I am not fond of that myself.

WHAT I DID:
    I mounted a board on my casting bench so I could
    mount the #1 sizer perpendicular to the bench on that board.
    now it has the same handle position as my Lyman 45 and 450.
    Jon

PS. I can post a photo if you need to "see" what I'm sayin'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Everyone has different expectations, not only in reloading tools, but in everything. I own 5 Star lube sizers, 2 Saeco lube sizers, 1 Lyman 450 lube sizer, 1 Lyman 45 lube sizer and 1 RCBS lube sizer. Each has it's place on my benches and I use them for different things. In some cases the Saeco works better than the Lyman or RCBS, even with heated lubes. I very, very seldom use my old Lyman 450 anymore, but keep it around because it's been with me for so long.

In order of usage, and these are strickly due to MY needs, the Stars get the most use, with the Saecos getting the next usage. Some long .45-70 bullets just lube better in the Saeco machines, one of which is set up with SPG lube, and the other with Magma lube, which must be heated to flow.

If one size did fit all, we could all end up driving Yugo cars................

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Before I even go further; I don't want a STAR and don't need a STAR. Whew... got to get that out before those STAR Mafia types take over the thread !!!!
    Oh my gosh! That was so funny I nearly spit out my coffee! "Star Mafia"....Fantastic!

No, seriously...you need a Star, man! Gotta have a Star. You should get a Star. Why don't you have a Star?...Ever think about getting a Star?
    Jon

Boolit Master
    [B]Star Mafia infiltrating already, very subtle mind you , they are a clever lot.

Boolit Master

Mark VI? (at least it isn't a Star)

Boolit Master

[B]Star Mafia infiltrating already, very subtle mind you , they are a clever lot.
    Subtle????? Ha Ha! -- Just razzin you a bit! I just had to do it! -- Sorry to hear your experience with the SAECO wasn't a good one. I have always heard they were very good....Slower than what I'm used to, but sizes accurately.
    Jon

Boolit Master

Talking

I have four of the SAECO sizers and I like them. The handle being parallel to the bench is not that bad and as was mentioned befor you can mount it to a board or on the left side of your bench.

Yes the dies and top punches are more expensive, but the alignment is also better for accuracy which is what I am after.

For speed look at a Star.

Boolit Master

No stars on my bench

I was going to say, no Stars In My Crown but I thought it might offend some of you gospel singers out there. What I meant to say is there are no Stars on my bench. I own one Saeco type, actually a Cramer. I have had no trouble with leaking and it sets gas checks very well. When I had my lathe I made the dies and nose punches for it. I don't like to change dies so I keep a sizer for each caliber. I have five Lyman 450s, two 45s, one # 1 and the Cramer. I have never used the # 1. It looks too fragle to use. All the downward thrust is handled by a # 10 screw. It may even be a # 8, I am not sure. I have never owned or even used a Star. From all that I read about them I feel they would be a lot of work unless you used just one bullet. And what's that business about plugging holes with birdshot? Who needs it. This ought to stir the pot. Sorry, I just couldn't help it. Sometimes the urge comes over me. Maybe I am possesd.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy

Red face

I am sorry to hear you feel that way about Saeco lubrisizers, but the great thing about America, and American style of reloading is, that if you don't like one way of doing things, you can always use a different tool and do it differently. I have two Saeco sizers. One I keep permently loaded with Emmert's lube and a 45 cal die for my 45-70. The other one I keep loaded with a White Label lube that needs some heat. Neither of my sizers leak lube. Insofar as the punches and sizers are more expensive, I have found that you often pay more for a higher quality product. After all a sizer should last a lifetime, so why worry about a few bucks difference in price. Top punches, Mostly I now use flat punches that I purchased for $8 or 9$ from a poster on this forum. They work great. The handle being on the side doesn't bother me a bit. It is on the right side and I am right handed.

I am frugal, so I cannot see spending the money for the really expensive sizer that you mentioned. I cast thousands of boollets, not tens of thousands. My Seacos' can size and seat gas checks quick enough to keep up with my casting.

Boolit Master

I had 2 saeco L/S on two occasions ! i never liked the sideways handel linkage set up and sold both of them .

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I have never used the # 1. It looks too fragle to use. All the downward thrust is handled by a # 10 screw. It may even be a # 8, I am not sure.
    the #1 is not that fragile, but I use mine exclusively for 22 cal.
    not much stress sizing 226/227 down to 225.

a good quality #10 screw has alot more shear strength than
    needed to size a lead alloy boolit...even a large caliber boolit.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

actually the plugged holes are so you can do different boolits with the same die.
    if you measure things correctly you can lube a one groove boolit and a two groove boolit with two holes open on the die.
    i have three stars and occasionally wish i still had the two lymans till i remember the whole need a million top punches thing, what's up with that?
    and the twist/let off of the lube pressure theres one more thing to forget.
    or the can't lube bevel base boolits without a mess.

that's why there are different strokes out there, you like/don't like some features and others see those issues as the strong points.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a Lyman 450 and a Saeco. I have had good success with both.

Boolit Grand Master

I always thought that the SAECO was a copy of the #1 Ideal, the first design.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I own all 3 and I use my Star when I need lots of boolits in a hurry for the kids to shoot up in a day and the Saeco for my precision benchrest work and my Ideal #1 and Lyman 450 to lube oddballs and small calibers. I know the old Ideal is strong but I dont want to try to find an original handle if I break it.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master

I have a SAECO luber and a LYman 450 (upgraded to 4500 linkage). The 450 is less problematic for use , handles heat better (does not leak lube) and the Saeco is awkward to operate with its side ways handle. Add to this the dies and top punches of Saeco are outrageously priced.

So if you are considering a Saeco, think twice about it. It does not feed lube reliably or as fast as the 450 does either. I am using White Label lubes which
    are known to flow nicely.

Don't see the love in the Saeco over the Lyman. The good deal on the Saeco has proven to be a mistake. It is not an improvement over the 450 at all, more expensive for dies and certainly not as user friendly.

Called Saeco and they said: The luber is not made for heat so leakage is something I can try to fix with auto gaskets. Supposedly, their lube doesn't require heat and does not leak out.

I find if White Label 2500 lube , heated leaks and also does not flow and fill rifle lube grooves quickly, the Saeco proves itself to be a half great tool.
    If you wish please feel free to avail yourself of my Saeco sizer disposal service. Simply box it up include the $20.00 disposal fee and send it to me. You will never be troubled by it again. PM me for my address.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still using my father's SAECO Sizer, it's about ready to draw Social Security. Not the fastest, but it's much easier to set up than my . . . Star.

Boolit Master

I have a SAECO and been using it for a year and a half.

1. I went for the Lyman universal heater. For me it works way better than a desk lamp, which I used for a year. I heat Carnauba Red and BAC a little in the winter. One day, I';; get around to rigging up a dimmer for temp contorl.

2. I use the top punches that come with Mihec's molds (Lyman type) without an adapter. A little CR lube works just fine as glue. Alignment seems fine. Then again, I am not shooting 1000 yd BR.

3. Get thee to Home Depot, Lowes, or your favorite hardware store with sizer die in hand. Get a pair of fiber washers. 1 top and bottom takes care leaks for me. Check the mating surfaces on the casting, too.

4. I tighten my die's lock nut down pretty good. Made a pair of sweet lips pliers using duct tape and grip the top of the die with that. Another pair of regular pliers on the lock nut. I have considered grinding a couple of flats on the dies and using a hex nut.

5. I can still make it leak. Turn the pressure screw enough and it will leak. I find if it's leaking, I have too much pressure. Most of the time, it is after adding lube. I get an air bubble and it fools.

6. No way around it, dies are more expensive. I watch for auctions of used ones. I have had to buy several. RCBS costs about $6 more than Lyman. SAECO costs $8 more than that. Yeah, SAECO if a little more than 50% more expensive, but one die at a time, it's not all that much. I try to make sure I buy only 1 die for a caliber.

7. I make my own seal assemblies.

Edited to add:

Now, I am not in the SAECO Mafia. I got a real good deal on mine and was just getting into casting a year and a half ago. I am thinking of getting a second lubrisizer and probably will go Lyman, just to see the difference. I like tinkering and to my eyes, the mechanics of the SAECO seem "better". The direction of the handle is not a big deal. I use the C-clamp and only temporarily mount is as needed (my bench is 3 ft wide).

So, I got a SAECO, and am satisfied with it. I wish they handled 50 cal. Another reason I am thinking about a Lyman.
    Last edited by Iron Mike Golf; 06-06-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Jeff