WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: From Handloads.com "Experiences with a .32".

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    ... Outpost--do you think it is advisable to replace recoil and/or firing pin springs in a Walther PP in 32 ACP to 380 ACP springs? I don't want to beat this little gem up if avoidable.
    Absolutely! I have with mine!!!!

Colt M1903 .32 to M1908 .380 spring kit
    PP 7.65 to 9mm Kurtz spring kit
    Beretta M1935 to M1934 spring kit...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

As FYI, new to the Accurate catalog is 31-105T. This is a double-crimp-groove design intended for use in the .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 Win. Use the rear crimp groove for the .32 S&W Long, and the front crimp groove fr .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20.

Attachment 201721
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-29-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

New bullet from Accurate which is suitable either for .32 S&W Long revolvers or as a heavy bullet in .32 ACP. Also useable in the .30 Luger and 7.62x25. Took nose shape of 31-087T with conventional lube groove, bevel base and crimp groove of 31-090B, and

31-094H is the result:

Attachment 248058

Concept based on old Walt Melander #082, no longer available, but with Tom Ellis improvements. Blunt shape for good crush, smooth profile for reliable feeding in Euro military pistols which are fussy with anything other than hardball. Deep penetration with no "flip."

Gets 940 fps from the 3.8" barrel Beretta 81 double-stacker with 2 grains of TiteGroup, approximating .380 ACP energy and penetration from a .32 ACP.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    New bullet from Accurate which is suitable either for .32 S&W Long revolvers or as a heavy bullet in .32 ACP. Also useable in the .30 Luger and 7.62x25. Took nose shape of 31-087T with conventional lube groove, bevel base and crimp groove of 31-090B, and

31-094H is the result:

Attachment 248058

Concept based on old Walt Melander #082, no longer available, but with Tom Ellis improvements. Blunt shape for good crush, smooth profile for reliable feeding in Euro military pistols which are fussy with anything other than hardball. Deep penetration with no "flip."

Gets 940 fps from the 3.8" barrel Beretta 81 double-stacker with 2 grains of TiteGroup, approximating .380 ACP energy and penetration from a .32 ACP.

That's a good looking bullet.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Expansion test of Beretta 81 .32 ACP with 3.8 inch barrel firing 100-grain .312" diameter Hornady XTP bullet in Starline case, Rem. 1-1/2 primer, 3 grains AutoComp, OAL 0.955," velocity 940 fps. Blew first water jug apart. Penetrated straight through others, sticking in back side of 4th jug.

Attachment 258078Attachment 258079

Attachment 258080

+P+ Load DO NOT USE in Beretta 3032 Tomcat or Keltec!!!!

Attachment 258081

Same charge of 3 grains AutoComp, but firing in 3.4" Beretta M1935, at left Hornady 90-grain XTP .309" (no cannelure), and at right .312" 85-grain Hornady XTP .312" (identifiable by knurl). Use the .312" diameter bullets ONLY if the barrel of your .32 ACP handgun slugs larger than .310". Otherwise use the .309" diameter, 90-grain XTP.

These loads approximate .380 ACP bullet weight and velocity from a .32 ACP of similar barrel length and should be considered +P for serious social purposes only, and not for casual practice or training use if you want your light alloy frame pistol to last. They are fine in the WW2-era steel frame holster pistols such as the Colt M1903, CZ27, CZ50, Beretta M1935, Walther PP.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-06-2020 at 12:32 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Appologies to folks unable to see the attachments.

I exceeded my photo quota on the site and had to delete older pics to make room.

If you go to the Accurate molds web site, search for the mold ID number, you can view the bullets drawings.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    I'm running the same loads in both my CZ (Yugoslavian) single-action .32 ACP as well as my Tanfoglio of Italy "Titan." The latter is a wonderfully accurate pistol, and a lot of fun to boot. Even with the Fiocchi ammunition, they generate lower recoil and plenty of "grunt" for the bullet weight.

Love those little S/A .32 pistols!

Scott
    I have a Tanfoglio .32 my own self. Mine is also quite an accurate pistol, and so far has digested every kind of ammo I've fed it, including the Fiocchi 60gr JHP.
    The only issue is all the damn safeties (4 at last count). Hopeless to get into action in a hurry, unless you carry it cocked with the firing pin safety on. No thanks.
    Other than being a non-starter for a carry pistol, great little gun, though.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain O View Post
    The .32 ACP can be fired in a revolver chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal Magnum.
    I know I'm probably kicking the hornets' nest, but guys...I wish people would quit saying this. Good factory ammo for the .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag and .327 is currently being loaded -- and brass is available to us to explore our own loads for S&W, S&W Long, H&R and Fed Mag (which I do).
    Let's leave the .32 ACP for the autoloader guys (of which I am also one) to shoot (and load).

Firing .32 ACP in the longer chamber results in substantial gas loss around the bullet with resultant velocity loss which risks lodging a jacketed bullet in the barrel. Even if the bullet exits the bore OK, the semi-rim of the .32 ACP is much thinner than the rim of the .32 S&W, H&R Mag. etc.

Also the diameter of the .32 ACP case head is smaller than the firing pin bushing on Colt and S&W revolvers so that the .32 ACP case pistoning back against the firing pin bushing will eventually peen and loosen the bushing, necessitating an expensive repair. We used to charge $100 to fix them.

Bottom there is no good reason to do it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Outposts test is some impressive performance from a 32 auto. Who'd a thought a 32 auto would perform like that.

Boolit Mold
    Having experimented with a few of the loads suggested here I was testing whether or not I could load the Hornady .309 XTP. I find that the Lyman dies I have do not sufficiently size the case small enough to load a .309 bullet. What have others found that work for this combination.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have an old set of 30-06 dies you aren’t too fond of, you can cut the bottom inch off of the seater/crimped die of that to use... after all, you are making a 30 cal out of your case anyway.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Lee has/had a 32 acp undersize sizing die. I have one. If they don't make any more you can have it made custom, the last time I had a custom sizing die made, it was about $70 plus shipping.

Boolit Master
    I have both .32 revolvers and .32 autos.
    I too recommend that you do not shoot loaded .32 acp shells in your revolvers.
    But, if you possess some .32 acp shells and only have a .32 revolver, you could use them to shoot wax or plastic glue bullets that only need to be primer powered to use.

Primer powered, the .32 acp shells won't harm anything.
    These days, it is many times hard to find anything to shoot in the .32 revolvers.
    I grew up saving and using anything, before throwing it away.
    My parents grew up in the depression and passed their ways of thinking to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithdvm View Post
    Having experimented with a few of the loads suggested here I was testing whether or not I could load the Hornady .309 XTP. I find that the Lyman dies I have do not sufficiently size the case small enough to load a .309 bullet. What have others found that work for this combination.
    My older RCBS carbide dies work just fine with Starline, RWS or Fiocchi brass to load either the .309" diameter 90-grain Hornady XTP or the 93-grain .308" diameter Remington FMJ bullets intended for the .30 Luger.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    I am surprised to see such uniform expansion of the .312'' XTP at 940 fps. Hornady has it together IMO.

Did you happen to obtain its average expanded diameter perchance?
    Ranged from .39-.42 for the several I recovered.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Just got a special .32 acp
    I am not sure if these are called 1935 or 1934 but it is a 7.65 and 1951 is stamped on it.
    A really good friend was a detective and he got this used sometime in the 1950's for a back up or smaller carry gun he retired in 1977 and has kept it all these years .He has a lot of nice guns but could not have given me one that I would enjoy than this one.
    He is a great shot and a fine man and I will treasure this little 32 as long as I live.
    He also provided a bunch of factory loads for it, how nice was that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB100FC9-8C52-4EFD-B839-3C046D342298.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Just got a special .32 acp
    I am not sure if these are called 1935 or 1934 but it is a 7.65 and 1951 is stamped on it.
    A really good friend was a detective and he got this used sometime in the 1950's for a back up or smaller carry gun he retired in 1977 and has kept it all these years .He has a lot of nice guns but could not have given me one that I would enjoy than this one.
    He is a great shot and a fine man and I will treasure this little 32 as long as I live.
    He also provided a bunch of factory loads for it, how nice was that!
    The .32 ACP is the Model 1935. These were imported by Stoeger and others until the GCA 1968 and were indeed popular as backup and deep carry guns. They were also very widely used by municipal police in Italy into the 1970s. Post WW2 Beretta made this model in both in a steel frame and in a light alloy aluminum frame. Here is my light alloy frequent carry:

Attachment 262422

Yours looks to be the steel frame version, which is a more rugged gun if you wish to experiment with some of the heavier .32 ACP loads I have posted, but you appear well supplied with factory FMJ which will serve you well. The Fiocchi ammo is quite good.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Your right Outpost it is all steel quite a little chunk.
    It's nice to hear it will stand up to some of your stiff loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently told a friend (who actually carries a .32 acp) about Outpost75's kick-butt .32 acp loads (see post #85 above). But I was politely informed that "Silvertips will do everything you'll ever need." Today I had a chance to test that claim.

I fired a .32 acp Silvertip from a Walther PP over the chrongraph, through a water-filled half-gallon milk carton, and into a garbage bag stuffed with old pillows. The chronograph registered 948 ft/s and the recovered bullet had mushroomed perfectly to about 0.51" as shown below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32SilverTipExpansion.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	262969

All that nice, symmetric expansion is pretty impressive until you run the numbers for the meat and potatoes. Here are graphs of predicted penetration and wound mass for the .32 acp Silvertip:

Name:	32acpSilverTip.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	262970

And here's the predicted penetration and wound mass for one of Outpost75's loads:

Name:	32acpHarrisKickAss.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	262971

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast