WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: From Handloads.com "Experiences with a .32".

Boolit Buddy
    Redding taper crimp die (Midway purchase) solved the problem for me with the same Rimrock bullet.

Boolit Mold
    THANKS! I just placed a backorder with MidWay for the Redding taper crimp die

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    I like 32's because you can get truly small cf revolvers that don't kick much and will put a 90-100 grain boolit throough a lot of stuff. A pound of powder and a coffee can of wheelweights goes a long way. Truth be told, I loved them before I ever started reloading, and I don't really know why, nor do I care why I just do.
    When I was a kid we used a .32 revolver on the trap line and it performed well. Ever since I have used either .32 revolvers or autopistols for the same purposes that "normal people" would use a .22 LR for, but these days with the scarcity and higher cost of .22 ammo, the .32s make more sense than ever. The .22LR may be nice for people who like to mindlessly blaze away 500 rounds in an afternoon at cans, but at today's costs I see that a less viable passtime. A box of fifty .32s lasts for a week of casual woods loafing and encourages development of fieldcraft and marksmanship skills which are more useful than fantasy ninja zombie drills.

Attachment 99657

Boolit Mold
    Ok guys, here's some advice I got from some of my friends on theoutdoorstrader.com headquartered here in Georgia, USA

Someone suggested a temporary fix (until I can get a real taper die)

Take the depriming rod out of the sizing die and run the loaded rounds through it. It will size the overall dia down to near correct size and they worked perfect for them.

I did just that and "appearances" are that this just might be a workable fix ...
    I mic'd one and the "Before" girdle diameter was .339, "After" is .330 as compared to a "factory fresh" S&B at .334.
    Standard Published Specification is .336
    Hmmmm ...

Any reason that this shouldn't be a workable, safe "temporary" fix?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clarke123 View Post
    Ok guys, here's some advice I got from some of my friends on theoutdoorstrader.com headquartered here in Georgia, USA

Someone suggested a temporary fix (until I can get a real taper die)

Take the depriming rod out of the sizing die and run the loaded rounds through it. It will size the overall dia down to near correct size and they worked perfect for them.

I did just that and "appearances" are that this just might be a workable fix ...
    I mic'd one and the "Before" girdle diameter was .339, "After" is .330 as compared to a "factory fresh" S&B at .334.
    Standard Published Specification is .336
    Hmmmm ...

Any reason that this shouldn't be a workable, safe "temporary" fix?
    Works for me... I've done the same thing with 45 ACP in a pinch.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm wondering just how much that's mashing your cast bullet down in diameter. Keep in mind the sizing die sizes the case smaller than needed, then the expanding plug brings it up to correct size to accept the bullet with a friction fit. By measurement I get nine thou. If that's all coming off bullet diameter......that's a lot.

Given that standard diameter is supposed to be .311" and your bullets were .313" a reduction of a couple thou seems more appropriate, or at least to the maximum of .366." Again, nine thou less, and a full 0.006" less than max diameter to .360" seems like too much.
    Last edited by 35remington; 03-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, running the loaded projectiles back through the sizing die worked!

Run them (loaded rounds) through my sizing die (W/O de-cap rod), took them to the range and
    NO PROBLEMS ... all fed, shot and extracted 100%.

I mic'd one and the "Before the re-sizing" girdle diameter was .339, "After" is .330 as compared to a "factory fresh" S&B at .334.
    Standard Published Specification is .336. One other change was that the COAL grew by about 3/1000 ... So, it looks like
    some form of swagging took place?!

I see this as pretty much a "temporary fix" until I can get the taper crimp die that I have on back-order

Boolit Grand Master
    Again, given the extreme mashing that's taking place, I'd wager something undesirable is happening to the bullet. I suspect it's quite a bit undersized, and well below the needed diameter. Feeding functionality is only half of the equation.

Boolit Buddy
    With the redding taper crimp die I apply just enough crimp so that the loaded cartridge fits snugly in the barrel from the disassembled pistol, either a Beretta or a CZ. I test each one because more often than not there are 1 or 2 that need just a tad more crimp. It takes more time but as a retiree I don't seem to mind.

Some groups fired with Accurate's 31-087T at seven yards, sandbagged, from my Beretta Tomcat with 2.4" barrel. Winchester cases and primers, 2 grains of Bullseye, 31-087T cast of wheelweights, tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox, sized .312".

These are EIGHT shot groups, including fliers and all, what you see is what you get. Nothing excluded. An average of two-inch groups at seven yards for a series fired with a mousegun is reality.

One group with RWS hardball is there as a sanity check went 1.6," THAT is good ammo.

Attachment 102056Attachment 102059

Here is a TEN YARD sanity check of same load fired from my Walther PP. Again, EIGHT shot groups, six of them averaging 1.8," whereas the control group of RWS hardball was 2.1". With a standard pocket pistol 2 inches at ten yards is reality.

Attachment 102057 Attachment 102058
    Last edited by Outpost75; 04-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Late response here......Outpost, an 87 grain casting atop 2.0 grains of Bullseye in the 32 ACP is a right healthy load. I've run Lyman #313249 under that same powder/weight or 2.2 grains of WW-231, and both loads improve the performance of the caliber significantly from that seen with factory 71 FMJs.......most of those clock 750-775 FPS from real pistol barrels. The above loads run 850-875 FPS from my Walther PP, and the square front shoulders of the bullet cut clean holes in paper or varmint hides.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

“Practical accuracy is not of the spectacular kind… I can obtain quite good accuracy holding the pistol in both hands and resting them upon my knees I can hit a 50-cent piece practically with every shot at 20 yards"

What does he consider "spectacular" ???

The original author of the 1932 article is long deceased. Consult a crystal ball...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The original author of the 1932 article is long deceased. Consult a crystal ball...
    My crystal ball says that he is decidedly unimpressed by what passes for firearms proficiency nowadays, he also said that in his day any 7 year old boy could reliably put a bullet through the Kaiser's monocle at 75 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by preparehandbook View Post
    My crystal ball says that he is decidedly unimpressed by what passes for firearms proficiency nowadays, he also said that in his day any 7 year old boy could reliably put a bullet through the Kaiser's monocle at 75 yards.
    I would agree with your cogent assessment!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by preparehandbook View Post
    This brought a smile......many thanks!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    FYI, the Lee tape crimp die works great for my .32's, which are fed to a Kel-Tec P32 with a rather generous groove diameter. I size to .313 and have had nothing but stellar performance. Most .32 Auto brass is thin and I suspect a hard boolit will not swage down as long as the case mouth has enough flare.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I saw a posting or two on the .32 H&R magnum...but none on the .327 Federal Magnum....I just recently started to roll my own using the 90 gr. Lee SWC TL mold, I powder coat them and use either Trail Boss or HP-38...,fun round to reload as it's expensive if you buy off of the shelf

Boolit Buddy
    This is interesting. My favorite handgun is a mod 16 Smith in 32 S&W long. I also have a 1917 Savage in 32 ACP. Didn't have a lot of ammo for it and the gun doesn't have the best of sight's on it. The handle is darn near bigger than the whole rest of the gun! I did shoot up the ammo I had and never reloaded anymore, not even sure i still have the mty's anymore. Speaking of mty's they are a pain in the buttok's to find after being shot! Actually so are my 9mm's and anything else fired from an auto loader. I didn't know anyone ever made a revolver in 32 ACP, that just might make a good rabbit round. Plus if you pull the shot a bit, you can run down range and catch the bullet for reuse! lol

I got that Savage from a very good friend when he passed. Came in the factory box with two magazines! Interesting little gun.

Boolit Buddy
    The .32 ACP can be fired in a revolver chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum or .327 Federal Magnum. Since it is a semi rimmed cartridge, you will have to pick the empty cases from the cylinder (a royal pain). I can't see how much value that would have, unless the .32 ACP ammunition is your only option.

Don, I would like to see some pictures of that 1907 Savage.
    "Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to conclusions in a single bound... it's Captain Obvious!
    "Living well is the best revenge" - George Herbert.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final". - Wyatt Earp

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast